Kachess Ridge Trail

Kachess Ridge Trail is a 11.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Easton, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,061 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Seattle, E on I-90 to exit 70. Go North over freeway. Left on West Sparks Rd for 1 mile. Right on FSR 4818 for 1 mile, Right on FSR 203 for 0.5 miles to trailhead at end of road

A friend and I did this trail on 6/15. There were maybe 7 cars at the trailhead when we arrived around 9am, but most of the hikers seem to have turned off onto a shorter trail midway through. this hike is definitely enjoyable, especially right now when there are many high flow streams and creeks. Maybe 4 miles in you'll encounter a number of very pretty meadows, many of which are currently swampy due to snowmelt. The views from the top, especially if you continue a short way up the Thorp mountain trail, are very good. But most of the hike, you are in thick forest. Very nice smells and feels extremely fresh. Multiple stream crossings, but mostly you can use fallen logs to cross. There was a snow field along the northern slopes of the mountain for maybe 500 ft, but I'm sure those will be gone in a week or two. Overall a good, semi difficult hike, mostly due to the couple steep sections. But easy enough for anybody in shape.

You can access the "top" of Kachess Ridge by car, making this hike a bit unrewarding. Hiked up to the ridge to find many mountain bikers parked at the very top. I was disappointed there was no "definite" end to the trail, as it continued to Thorp Mountain (accessible by adding 6 miles roundtrip). If you want to do a rewarding hike, I'd recommend parking at the top of Kachess Ridge and hiking up to Thorp mountain instead.

I love this trail and try to hike it often. remember to check out the rocks to the east of the trail0

Went hiking 5/15/19. It was a beautiful hike , there was no snow until, you really get up very high in the trail. Nice views!

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Good fun trail in late mid-March. Trail was dry up to, and just past, 1.9 miles, but there was snow at higher elevations. The change in scenery and terrain is enjoyable and there are spectacular views. Some trees across the trail, but easily negotiable. Is it a long uphill climb out from the trail head, but hey... it's all down hill coming back.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

4-26-14: I did a portion of this trail which I think is called Kachess Beacon trail, although the signs for the trailhead only indicated two numbers, 1212 and 1315(?). Then as you begin hiking - immediately up steep switchbacks - there is a sign for three other trail names not called Kachess Beacon (I think one was silver creek). Anyways about a mile and 1000 ft. up in elevation later supposedly you reach a fork, but at this time of year it was covered in a few feet of snow (clear to that point). We tried navigating the snow in the direction we thought the right fork of the trail went, but it seemed a bit dangerous as the snow was deep but obviously soft and melting. Just as we were about to give up and find another trail, we found the left fork and started upward. The left fork only has a trail for a short ways, and then you basically scramble straight up the mountain (1000 ft. over about a mile). In this case the easiest path was covered in snow, but there was plenty of room around the edges to find your way up. it was steep and slippery, switching between snow, loose rock, and soft loose dirt/moss/etc. With the incline and trail conditions it was definitely a challenge, but doable. After that fork the views open up a bit as well. It was a short and challenging hike, but worth it.

Saturday, November 02, 2013

Friday 11-1-2013: My wife and I went on a hiking to Kachess Ridge Beacon near Easton. The weather was partly cloudy. We arrived at the trailhead at 9:50. We started hiking at 10. At 10:45 we reached a fork in the trail. We took the left, which goes straight to the summit. The trail was one of the steepest we climbed. Soon Mt. Rainier emerged over the horizon. We reached the summit at 11:47. We had lunch below the beacon. We started descending at 12:30 and took the less steep but longer route. The straight route was very steep and we thought it would be dangerous to go down. This trail had very many blowdowns. Some downed trees were difficult to negotiate. We returned to our car at 2:24. We saw no one else on the trail.

Monday, June 01, 1998

It's been a few years, but as I remember it, the climb to the top is on well graded gravel/dirt roads. At the top, you reach a saddle with interesting rock formations on the other side. The decent on single track was pretty rocky, and wet in places, making it a fairly challenging decent. Overall, a fun ride, but would probably be better later in summer when the ground dries up a bit more.

recorded west Mountain