Johnson Ridge Trail

Johnson Ridge Trail is a 7.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Bar, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Pretty and rewarding. Awesome tiny blueberries along the way. I calculated 8 miles.

My wife and I joined our group to hike to Scorpion Mountain. The weather was sunny and hot. Many flowers were blooming. Bugs were annoying.

We drove east on US-2 from Monroe and turned left to Beckler Road 0.8 mile past Skykomish. After about 7 miles on Beckler Road the pavement ends and the road becomes a gravel road. Soon we turned sharply right to FR 6520. The road is in good condition except some overgrown bushes. You need to drive carefully if you don’t want to scratch your car. There is a Y intersection at 3.7 mile from Beckler Road where you take left. Then after 5.6 miles on FR 6520 stay right at a hair pin curve. We were the first to park at the small parking lot at 10 am. Another car followed us to the trailhead. There is no toilet or “forest pass required” sign at the trailhead.

We started hiking soon after 10 am. There is a new bulletin board. We registered for our entry into Henry M. Jackson Wilderness Area. The trail was in good condition except for four trees down across the trail and several snow patches to cross in the second half of the trail. Three of the trees are passable by stepping over them and the fourth tree can be crawled under it. The snow patches are disappearing quickly and flowers are blooming. But the bugs were annoying. I had seven bug bites even though I used bug spray.

We reached the summit around 12:45 pm at a leisurely pace. We enjoyed mountain views and wildflowers such as glacier lilies, Sitka valerians, arnicas, lupines, and many more.

We left the summit at 1:30 pm and returned to our car by 3:45 pm. My car’s temperature gage said 86 F.

Bring a lot of water, sun screen and bug repellant.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Friday, July 22, 2016

Monday, September 07, 2015

Monday, August 08, 2011

Not near Leavenworth but Skykomish . Trail isn't easy to find its at the end of FR 6520 , park at the end and the trail starts in the corner . A little overgrown , very steep ups and downs through forest getting first to Sunrise Mountain then to a ridge leading to meadows and Scorpion Mountain , Snow on top of both Mountains ...If you keep going you get to a lake as well but still covert in Snow.Lots of flowers blooming and very nice view it's worth the hard work to get there ...