John Wayne Pioneer Trail (Snoqualmie Tunnel)

John Wayne Pioneer Trail (Snoqualmie Tunnel) is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

rails trails

From Seattle, E on I-90 to exit 54. Right off freeway, immediate left for 0.5 miles. Right following signs to Iron Horse State Park. Another immediate right, 0.1 miles to trailhead

Enjoyed hiking and exploring the John Wayne Trail and Snoqualmie Tunnel..Lots of history!! Make sure you bring your headlamps. Discovery Pass required, parking and restrooms before trailhead.

walked the tunnel early in the morning with my son and two dogs, not to much traffic in the tunnel until we came back. it's a nice walk, remember a jacket and a good flashlight or headlamp. the tunnel is really dark. there was a nice place to sit and relax or have a snack before continuing the hike to twin falls.

The tunnel is 2.3 miles of dark, cold and dripping. It was crazy crowded with hiker/walkers, bikers of all types. I rate it easy as long as you can walk 5 miles. Be careful, some little kids were not paying attention an nearly go hit in the dark. Some others had no light or it died. So have a back up. Light jacket in summer while in tunnel is a good idea. If you park at the Hyat lot at east tunnel entrance you need a discovery pass. There is day pass envelopes there and rest rooms. I am

Please note we only did the tunnel portion of the trail which is around 5+ miles round trip. This is a great option for the heat sensitive or for those who don’t like doing elevations.
The tunnel is a cool experience. Speaking of cool, the tunnel is a great way to beat the summer heat. If you get cold easily, be sure to bring a sweatshirt or windbreaker. Also, you’ll want a flashlight.

Starting on the Hyak side you’ll be able to feel the cool air as you near the entrance. The trail is not paved but is hard pack. There are dripping areas so there are some puddles along the way. Once you reach the other end there are some tables, a small waterfall, some nice views, and a toilet facility.

On the way back you’re walking with the breeze so it will feel a lot warmer. It u get warm u can stop for a minute and enjoy the breeze.

As a reminder, you will need.a discover pass. We forgot so used our phone and bought one online. Luckily there was a good signal. Hours are 6a - Dusk.

*only went as far as the end of the tunnel not the end of the trail 5.4 mi r/t 100 elevation I believe*
Very easy to walk but very boring. At least 10 times I asked my boyfriend if we should turn around. We were told that it was worth it to walk to the other side of the tunnel, there is a small waterfall and a mountain range, we are currently sitting on the benches dreading the walk back. It took us 1 hour to get though the tunnel. In my opinion there is nothing to see, my suggestion is walk about 10 minutes in (for the experience) then turn around and do another trail, unless you like the blank solitude.

WHAT A GREAT TRAIL! we started in the parking lot and ended at the end of the tunnel. that's where we ate lunch.

Bring rain gear at some point in your hike it will rain. In the tunnel, wear a blinker light on your backpack and head lamp on your head. Bikers thanked us for being visible. Gloves are helpful in the tunnel as it’s cold and wind blows West to East, it’s cold in the tunnel so you will see your breath. There is a bathroom on each side of tunnel. Fun and eerie hike!

Went on a colder rainy dry so the tunnel felt dry and slightly warmer then outside, perfect. Spooky at first but then loved it. Very cool experience. Only saw a few people, no bikers, most of the time we had the tunnel to ourselves.

I️t was a super creepy and eerie trail reminiscent of some children’s ghost tale told by a campfire. After the initial adrenaline and shock wore off of the immense darkness and cold, I️t was almost unbearable and painful to walk in this loooong freezing cold tunnel. I️ saw a lot of people with bikes though so I️ think that would be the way to go.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

16 years ago this was an adventure. Today it's like playing in traffic. So many bike riders that you are standing to the side as they charge past like they are in a race. When they are coming towards you their high intensity beams begin blinding you from about 200 yards away. Easy enough for the whole family but spoiled by riders.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Bring flashlights, water and a comfy jacket. Went with my 8 year old and 2 year old in stroller. It's about an hour and a half each way. Overall it was fun and relaxing.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Just started back to hiking and breaking in new shoes. Nothing better than a casual walk in the spooky dark Snoqualmie tunnel. Will be back again.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Nice and chilly! But very clean and enjoyable...next time we're bringing our bikes for the full experience from one end to the other..:)

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Had a lot of fun doing this trail! great walk with the dogs, but be aware the tunnel gets pretty chilly, even in the heart of the summer.

Sunday, November 01, 2015

Nice ride thru the tunnel. I was expecting graffiti an trash. Rode thru the tunnel and continued on the road to the Summit Pancake house for breakfast.

Monday, October 19, 2015

Finally took the time to walk the tunnel. It was fun with a group. Good rainy day option.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Visited here as part of a geocaching event in August 2015. Pretty long tunnel. Lots of people and bikes on a beautiful August day. Glad I got to experience this and the surrounding beauty.

Sunday, August 30, 2015

We had a grate experience

Monday, August 03, 2015

Awesome on a hot day!

Sunday, October 19, 2014

10/18/14 (Saturday) - This is one of those things that's just fun to experience. It's also a great way to get over (or worsen) a fear of the dark. It took us around 45 minutes each way. There were quite a few hikers and bikers making the trip going westbound, but we were pretty much alone returning eastbound because we left later in the day. I climbed on top of the tunnel entrance on the west side to get some pics. It's a little tricky, but there are rebar steps on the north side that can be used to scramble up. The views to Granite Mountain are pretty good. Bring some binoculars (and a coat). The tunnel closes Nov 1st, so act quickly if you want to go. Coming here on Halloween would be perfect. Great location for a haunted house.

More on my hiking blog at cairnguru.com

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Thursday 10-31-2013: My wife and I went on a spookiest hiking ever - Snoqualmie Tunnel. It is a 2.3 miles long railroad tunnel, which was decommissioned in 1980. It is now used as a cycling and walking trail (Dogs on leash are also allowed.) and a part of Iron Horse State Park John Wayne Pioneer Trail. We parked our car at Hyak parking lot. We are the only one at the parking lot. The toilets there are the best and the cleanest. The tunnel is completely dark and GPS and cell phones don't work. My wife didn't like it because it was too creepy. The only clue for your progress is the number 0 through 41 spray-painted in green on the wall. The sound of dripping water from the ceiling added more creepiness. We started walking at 10:30 and reached the other end at 11:20. We quickly turned around and returned to our car by 12:20. We didn't see anyone else while we were in the tunnel. We had lunch in our car because it was raining and cold. This was our weirdest and spookiest experience ever. It may be a nice cool hike during hot summer days.

Sunday, November 06, 2011

Not a mind blower but the river makes it worth it along with the old railroad tunnel. Easy going and good for families.
Also easy to do in off season weather.

Monday, September 04, 2017