John Wayne Pioneer Trail (Snoqualmie Tunnel)

John Wayne Pioneer Trail (Snoqualmie Tunnel) is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

rails trails

From Seattle, E on I-90 to exit 54. Right off freeway, immediate left for 0.5 miles. Right following signs to Iron Horse State Park. Another immediate right, 0.1 miles to trailhead

I️t was a super creepy and eerie trail reminiscent of some children’s ghost tale told by a campfire. After the initial adrenaline and shock wore off of the immense darkness and cold, I️t was almost unbearable and painful to walk in this loooong freezing cold tunnel. I️ saw a lot of people with bikes though so I️ think that would be the way to go.

Bring flashlights, water and a comfy jacket. Went with my 8 year old and 2 year old in stroller. It's about an hour and a half each way. Overall it was fun and relaxing.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Just started back to hiking and breaking in new shoes. Nothing better than a casual walk in the spooky dark Snoqualmie tunnel. Will be back again.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Nice and chilly! But very clean and enjoyable...next time we're bringing our bikes for the full experience from one end to the other..:)

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Had a lot of fun doing this trail! great walk with the dogs, but be aware the tunnel gets pretty chilly, even in the heart of the summer.

Sunday, November 01, 2015

Nice ride thru the tunnel. I was expecting graffiti an trash. Rode thru the tunnel and continued on the road to the Summit Pancake house for breakfast.

Monday, October 19, 2015

Finally took the time to walk the tunnel. It was fun with a group. Good rainy day option.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Visited here as part of a geocaching event in August 2015. Pretty long tunnel. Lots of people and bikes on a beautiful August day. Glad I got to experience this and the surrounding beauty.

Sunday, August 30, 2015

We had a grate experience

Monday, August 03, 2015

Awesome on a hot day!

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Thursday 10-31-2013: My wife and I went on a spookiest hiking ever - Snoqualmie Tunnel. It is a 2.3 miles long railroad tunnel, which was decommissioned in 1980. It is now used as a cycling and walking trail (Dogs on leash are also allowed.) and a part of Iron Horse State Park John Wayne Pioneer Trail. We parked our car at Hyak parking lot. We are the only one at the parking lot. The toilets there are the best and the cleanest. The tunnel is completely dark and GPS and cell phones don't work. My wife didn't like it because it was too creepy. The only clue for your progress is the number 0 through 41 spray-painted in green on the wall. The sound of dripping water from the ceiling added more creepiness. We started walking at 10:30 and reached the other end at 11:20. We quickly turned around and returned to our car by 12:20. We didn't see anyone else while we were in the tunnel. We had lunch in our car because it was raining and cold. This was our weirdest and spookiest experience ever. It may be a nice cool hike during hot summer days.

Sunday, November 06, 2011

Not a mind blower but the river makes it worth it along with the old railroad tunnel. Easy going and good for families.
Also easy to do in off season weather.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

10/18/14 (Saturday) - This is one of those things that's just fun to experience. It's also a great way to get over (or worsen) a fear of the dark. It took us around 45 minutes each way. There were quite a few hikers and bikers making the trip going westbound, but we were pretty much alone returning eastbound because we left later in the day. I climbed on top of the tunnel entrance on the west side to get some pics. It's a little tricky, but there are rebar steps on the north side that can be used to scramble up. The views to Granite Mountain are pretty good. Bring some binoculars (and a coat). The tunnel closes Nov 1st, so act quickly if you want to go. Coming here on Halloween would be perfect. Great location for a haunted house.

More on my hiking blog at cairnguru.com

16 years ago this was an adventure. Today it's like playing in traffic. So many bike riders that you are standing to the side as they charge past like they are in a race. When they are coming towards you their high intensity beams begin blinding you from about 200 yards away. Easy enough for the whole family but spoiled by riders.

1 hour ago