Japanese Gulch Loop Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mukilteo, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Good local trail to hike, walk, run, or ride. Some nice views and a fairly well maintained trail. Trails exist on both sides of the train tracks that run through the center of the park. This trail crosses many other trails in the same park. Please use GPS along with map as to not make a wrong turn.

Beautiful area but really easy to get lost in. The loop runs along the train tracks and then to the left into the woods once you hit Boeing. I’ve walked some of the biking trails that you can enter to the right of the dog park and have gotten so lost. There are a few bridges on this side that may be difficult to cross depending on how much it’s rained recently.

Nice work out due to terrain but easy to get lost. If you're a bird watcher you would probably enjoy this trail. We saw a downy woodpecker, two pileated woodpeckers and a barred owl. Next time I would bring binoculars as the forest area is thick so its difficult to find many of the birds. Trail signs would be helpful.

Gave it a 4* rating for convenience to escape the hustle and bustle of the city

Meh. Good for working out. Nice view of the sound and one stop. The trail is not clearly marked, had to make several choices along the way, got lost once.

Great way to get out on the trails if you live in Mukilteo.

6/16/2018 (Saturday) - As most people, we looped counterclockwise. The west half is wide gravel path between rail and creek (not an attractive one), and east half (longer) is a narrow meandering path with numerous ups and downs, some rather steep, plus numerous forks, mainly designed for mountain biking. So, in general, this loop is more challenging than an easy or moderately easy one, and there is no view at all. I must keep tracking the online map to prevent a wrong way. The muddy condition has almost come to an end.

I decided to do 5⭐ because in the pictures it looks pretty

My dogs enjoyed the dog park the most. Agree with most of the reviews here ; easy to get lost since there are no trail signs; a few gates and some “ no trespassing “ signs which add to the confusion. Some muddy spots and I would call what I saw a stream, not a waterfall. Overall good exercise but probably won’t be going back.

It’s a pretty trail surrounded by lots of trees and plenty of wildlife (birds, squirrels, frogs and chipmunks...) but it’s super confusing. We ended up lost and turned around several times and finally just turned back and followed the tracks. I wish there were signs but there’s not. There’s a lot of forks that make it confusing.

Great trail, however it is very easy to get lost so bring your phone! Will definitely do again.

Very fun Trail. Start at the left of the dog park to the railroad tracks and turn right to follow the tracks. The trail gradually rises the whole way for the first half. The stream is on your right; we saw a few little waterfalls. Once you get to the gate, go a little past it and the trail continues on the left, back on the other side of the rr tracks. A lot of side trails so it can be confusing. Best to keep monitoring it online.

Very confusing! This trail has a ton of potential but it's not there yet. We started at the dog park and found the sign that said Japanese Gulch Loop Trail, this was our first mistake. Not sure why the sign is there because we followed up the hills over broken bridges and while it was some beautiful views we got completely lost. There are many different options of trails once you get to the top. In the end we got really lost ended up having to cross the river without a safe way to cross it but needed to get to the other side. I recommend you use the tracker so you can see where you are going and how far off path you are. It would be so nice to hike up these hills but it needs some signage to direct you the correct route. Once we crossed the river we realized that this was the trail we needed to be on. From the dog park you want to go to the left side, not the right. If you go down the left past the dog park you can find the start of the trail and the river will be on your right side. Very beautiful hike but probably the most confusing I've been on.

It was pretty wet and the rain was coming down but overall the trail was easy to navigate and not too strenuous

Looks like it will be a nice hike. Unfortunately, the trail is “closed” at the 3rd boardwalk. It’s passable but the trail was muddy and we decided to find another trail

Amazing views and really pretty, I can't wait to see it in the summer months when the wild roses bloom. Very muddy when I went and not maintained, still fun though just at your own risk, steep, muddy slopes, narrow trails, broken bridges to climb over, and down trees over trails!

Friday, October 06, 2017

Trail splits off in 3 directions 3 times in the first half mile. Had no idea where to go.

Monday, October 02, 2017

I thought this would be a quick easy hike for me. I left my phone in the car since it was right in town. Big mistake. Once up in the trees I quickly realized how many different trails there were. I started to panic because I couldn't find my way back. My dog was getting anxious because he was feeding off of my anxiety. I heard cars, planes, etc. but I was lost. Eventually I found my way down. Lesson learned...be prepared no matter how easy you think a trail will be.

Monday, September 25, 2017

I agree that it would be helpful if the trail was better marked. Lots of places where the trail split and there was no clear indication of where to go. This wouldn't be a big deal except for we brought our young children along and 4 miles is already a stretch let alone going down a path that extends the hike further. However, we enjoyed that the trail was well maintained and it was pretty cool to reach one of the ridges and see a Boeing airplane fly right over our heads.

Monday, September 18, 2017

This is not a good trail running spot. The trail is not flat and has been carved out by water in a lot of places so the trail has a deep groove and no where flat to step. It would be fine for hiking just not running.

Friday, July 28, 2017

Poor trail and no markings. In several places the trail splits with no indication of where to go. We ended up turning around and leaving.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Didn't like this hike at all. Cool with the track, but that's pretty much it. (Went there about a week ago).

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

very poorly marked.

Monday, July 10, 2017

It was a great hike. Good for all skill levels. I only wish it was better marked.

Monday, June 26, 2017

A great and moderate difficulty hike. Great scenery and quiet even on a hot summer day. We went off course but easily found our way back on the trail. My only critique would be maybe some signs that could point us in the right direction. Otherwise great hike!

Friday, June 23, 2017

Well maintained, fairly easy to follow trail. It helped using Alpine Quest on my phone to follow the Gulch Loop trail and not accidentally go off on any of the side trails. A nice hike that wasn't took difficult.

Friday, June 23, 2017

peaceful and enjoyable small hike foe beginners. A few hilly areas, very minor. Could be muddy deoending on to be of year, I went during march, super muddy but still extremely enjoyable.

Thursday, June 08, 2017

Beautiful trail and respectful visitors. Loved it

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Great spot close by, and nice area of solitude within the city. Will definitely be going back!

Friday, May 19, 2017

We ended up taking the long way around. About 1 mile to be exact. I guess we missed a turn. LoL
We had a great time anyways.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

A great little hike. Close to home and not crowded. The trains are fun to watch. The tadpoles are out. A little muddy, but not bad. Mountain bikes ride this trail to so keep and eye open.