Japanese Gulch Loop Trail

Japanese Gulch Loop Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mukilteo, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Good local trail to hike, walk, run, or ride. Some nice views and a fairly well maintained trail. Trails exist on both sides of the train tracks that run through the center of the park.

6/16/2018 (Saturday) - As most people, we looped counterclockwise. The west half is wide gravel path between rail and creek (not an attractive one), and east half (longer) is a narrow meandering path with numerous ups and downs, some rather steep, plus numerous forks, mainly designed for mountain biking. So, in general, this loop is more challenging than an easy or moderately easy one, and there is no view at all. I must keep tracking the online map to prevent a wrong way. The muddy condition has almost come to an end.

I decided to do 5⭐ because in the pictures it looks pretty

My dogs enjoyed the dog park the most. Agree with most of the reviews here ; easy to get lost since there are no trail signs; a few gates and some “ no trespassing “ signs which add to the confusion. Some muddy spots and I would call what I saw a stream, not a waterfall. Overall good exercise but probably won’t be going back.

It’s a pretty trail surrounded by lots of trees and plenty of wildlife (birds, squirrels, frogs and chipmunks...) but it’s super confusing. We ended up lost and turned around several times and finally just turned back and followed the tracks. I wish there were signs but there’s not. There’s a lot of forks that make it confusing.

Great trail, however it is very easy to get lost so bring your phone! Will definitely do again.

Very fun Trail. Start at the left of the dog park to the railroad tracks and turn right to follow the tracks. The trail gradually rises the whole way for the first half. The stream is on your right; we saw a few little waterfalls. Once you get to the gate, go a little past it and the trail continues on the left, back on the other side of the rr tracks. A lot of side trails so it can be confusing. Best to keep monitoring it online.

Very confusing! This trail has a ton of potential but it's not there yet. We started at the dog park and found the sign that said Japanese Gulch Loop Trail, this was our first mistake. Not sure why the sign is there because we followed up the hills over broken bridges and while it was some beautiful views we got completely lost. There are many different options of trails once you get to the top. In the end we got really lost ended up having to cross the river without a safe way to cross it but needed to get to the other side. I recommend you use the tracker so you can see where you are going and how far off path you are. It would be so nice to hike up these hills but it needs some signage to direct you the correct route. Once we crossed the river we realized that this was the trail we needed to be on. From the dog park you want to go to the left side, not the right. If you go down the left past the dog park you can find the start of the trail and the river will be on your right side. Very beautiful hike but probably the most confusing I've been on.

It was pretty wet and the rain was coming down but overall the trail was easy to navigate and not too strenuous

Looks like it will be a nice hike. Unfortunately, the trail is “closed” at the 3rd boardwalk. It’s passable but the trail was muddy and we decided to find another trail

Amazing views and really pretty, I can't wait to see it in the summer months when the wild roses bloom. Very muddy when I went and not maintained, still fun though just at your own risk, steep, muddy slopes, narrow trails, broken bridges to climb over, and down trees over trails!

Trail splits off in 3 directions 3 times in the first half mile. Had no idea where to go.

I thought this would be a quick easy hike for me. I left my phone in the car since it was right in town. Big mistake. Once up in the trees I quickly realized how many different trails there were. I started to panic because I couldn't find my way back. My dog was getting anxious because he was feeding off of my anxiety. I heard cars, planes, etc. but I was lost. Eventually I found my way down. Lesson learned...be prepared no matter how easy you think a trail will be.

I agree that it would be helpful if the trail was better marked. Lots of places where the trail split and there was no clear indication of where to go. This wouldn't be a big deal except for we brought our young children along and 4 miles is already a stretch let alone going down a path that extends the hike further. However, we enjoyed that the trail was well maintained and it was pretty cool to reach one of the ridges and see a Boeing airplane fly right over our heads.

This is not a good trail running spot. The trail is not flat and has been carved out by water in a lot of places so the trail has a deep groove and no where flat to step. It would be fine for hiking just not running.

Poor trail and no markings. In several places the trail splits with no indication of where to go. We ended up turning around and leaving.

Didn't like this hike at all. Cool with the track, but that's pretty much it. (Went there about a week ago).

very poorly marked.

It was a great hike. Good for all skill levels. I only wish it was better marked.

A great and moderate difficulty hike. Great scenery and quiet even on a hot summer day. We went off course but easily found our way back on the trail. My only critique would be maybe some signs that could point us in the right direction. Otherwise great hike!

Friday, June 23, 2017

Well maintained, fairly easy to follow trail. It helped using Alpine Quest on my phone to follow the Gulch Loop trail and not accidentally go off on any of the side trails. A nice hike that wasn't took difficult.

Friday, June 23, 2017

peaceful and enjoyable small hike foe beginners. A few hilly areas, very minor. Could be muddy deoending on to be of year, I went during march, super muddy but still extremely enjoyable.

Thursday, June 08, 2017

Beautiful trail and respectful visitors. Loved it

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Great spot close by, and nice area of solitude within the city. Will definitely be going back!

Friday, May 19, 2017

We ended up taking the long way around. About 1 mile to be exact. I guess we missed a turn. LoL
We had a great time anyways.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

A great little hike. Close to home and not crowded. The trains are fun to watch. The tadpoles are out. A little muddy, but not bad. Mountain bikes ride this trail to so keep and eye open.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Just did this hike today, it was very muddy and the trail was hard to follow thanks to poor signage. We got turned around several times and ended up going up/down hills unnecessarily several times. It's listed as 3.3 miles but we ended up doing 5.5. It was a fun trail overall though, lots of birds, quiet, almost no traffic and my dog loved it. I'd do it again, now that I know the trail route a little better I don't think I'd get as turned around again.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

The third boardwalk is out but you can still get down to the Gulch by starting the other direction (north of dog park) taking gravel path by the railroad. That was disappointing and better signage would helpful.

However, the waterfalls were pretty and there were many blooming bleeding hearts and salmon berry bushes! A nice path of woods not far out.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

This trail is fairly easy (somewhere between easy and moderate) overall. The east side of the loop is much better defined than the west side of the loop. Its much easier to take wrong turn on the west side leading to a muddy dead end resulting in having to loop back.

My Garmin tracked my trip as 3.7 miles and the climb at around 770 ft. (I know that I took a couple of wrong turns on the west side of the trail.) There are few few signs pointing to the right direction (points off for this shortcoming) but it seems that all roads get you to the destination. On the plus side, you don't have to walk very far along the trails to feel like you are out in the wilderness.

A good hike to do once, but I wouldn't take the time to do it again.

Friday, April 14, 2017

I only went partway in but I really enjoyed the hike definitely wouldn't classify it easy because of roots/downed trees/broken bridge so I wouldn't recommend young children. there is flat path portion that runs along the creek that is very easy though. I'll visit again :)

Saturday, April 01, 2017

This trail is ranked as "easy" but I'd say, at least on some of the routes, moderate. My friend and I managed to run it in such a way that we had considerable climbing. There were some pretty sloppy parts, but also considering the season the higher parts of the trail were in pretty good shape. Par for the course in terms of conditions, overall great for trail running!