Japanese Gulch Loop Trail

Japanese Gulch Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mukilteo, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Good local hike/walk, some nice views and a fairly well maintained trail. Trails exist on both sides of the train tracks that run through the center. Both sides are probably about 2 miles or so with many side paths. This trail is bike friendly.

A great little hike. Close to home and not crowded. The trains are fun to watch. The tadpoles are out. A little muddy, but not bad. Mountain bikes ride this trail to so keep and eye open.

Just did this hike today, it was very muddy and the trail was hard to follow thanks to poor signage. We got turned around several times and ended up going up/down hills unnecessarily several times. It's listed as 3.3 miles but we ended up doing 5.5. It was a fun trail overall though, lots of birds, quiet, almost no traffic and my dog loved it. I'd do it again, now that I know the trail route a little better I don't think I'd get as turned around again.

The third boardwalk is out but you can still get down to the Gulch by starting the other direction (north of dog park) taking gravel path by the railroad. That was disappointing and better signage would helpful.

However, the waterfalls were pretty and there were many blooming bleeding hearts and salmon berry bushes! A nice path of woods not far out.

This trail is fairly easy (somewhere between easy and moderate) overall. The east side of the loop is much better defined than the west side of the loop. Its much easier to take wrong turn on the west side leading to a muddy dead end resulting in having to loop back.

My Garmin tracked my trip as 3.7 miles and the climb at around 770 ft. (I know that I took a couple of wrong turns on the west side of the trail.) There are few few signs pointing to the right direction (points off for this shortcoming) but it seems that all roads get you to the destination. On the plus side, you don't have to walk very far along the trails to feel like you are out in the wilderness.

A good hike to do once, but I wouldn't take the time to do it again.

I only went partway in but I really enjoyed the hike definitely wouldn't classify it easy because of roots/downed trees/broken bridge so I wouldn't recommend young children. there is flat path portion that runs along the creek that is very easy though. I'll visit again :)

This trail is ranked as "easy" but I'd say, at least on some of the routes, moderate. My friend and I managed to run it in such a way that we had considerable climbing. There were some pretty sloppy parts, but also considering the season the higher parts of the trail were in pretty good shape. Par for the course in terms of conditions, overall great for trail running!

About half a mile into the trail there are 6 or 7 trees down blocking the path. Also, one of the wood ramps is broken from a tree falling on it. We turned around and went to Mukilteo Beach.

Muddy buy definitely a good easy hike

It was a little muddy. The trail is not exact and at the half way point it was tough to navigate but it was still fun!!