New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Iron Peak Trail #1399

Iron Peak Trail #1399 is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cle Elum, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is best used from July until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,532 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Seattle drive east on I-90 to East Cle Elum, exit 85. Cross over the freeway overpass and turn right (northbound) on State Route 970. Cross the Teanaway River bridge, and in another mile turn left onto Teanaway Road. Drive north on Teanaway Road, veering right as it becomes first the North Fork Teanaway Road and then unpaved Forest Road 9737 for 8.5 miles.

Hiked this trail on 23rd Nov. The trail was in perfect condition. Patches of snow till you reach the scramble. From scramble to the top, few inches of snow. It was kind of a perfect day, no sun but no rain or snow either. Though it was a bit windy at the top.

icy

Hiked a couple weeks ago. Really nice hike! Awesome views, especially at top! Pretty easy for how direct it looks on map. Will hike again for sure! I suggest coming from this side.

Hiked in on 11/13. Trail is is great condition other than a few blow downs that are easy to cross over. Just a little bit of snow at the top. Only saw 2 others besides our group of 3.

It was a hard but great hike. We did not have any issues with bugs. The views were amazing! My Rainier was out in all her glory. Beautiful weather!

Hiked to the top of Iron, trail overall was in good shape, a little snow on trail and on approach to the top. Nothing technical, views were amazing.

Mon Oct 15 2018

Great hike! I clocked in 8 miles with 2400 ft in gain. Great views at iron peak, will do again sometime! Went on a beautiful October Saturday, only ran into three groups, 2 groups of 2 & a group of 7. It never felt crowded though. Road was fine for an vehicle. Lots of washboard made for a bumpy ride! My sedan made it up NO problem.

Sun Jun 25 2017

I meant to go to Bean Peak, but my dumb ass took the wrong trail. Ended up going up Iron Peak instead, and it was pretty amazing. The Beverly junction trail is well maintained and there are just a few creek crossings that aren't a big deal. The snow is melting fast, so I tried to go around the few patches toward the beginning of the iron peak trail. There are some holes that you can see through, so I'd be afraid of post holing. Once you get up to the ridge, there is quite of bit of snow, but it's easy to walk on and I didn't feel unsafe at all. Once you get to the very top, the views are unbelievable.. I can't wait to come back and explore this area even more. For a Saturday especially, I didn't run into many people at all, and the few that I did were super friendly. This is such a special place! Perfect for people who seek solitude. Bring bug spray and sun screen!

Sun Sep 28 2014

Saturday 9-29-2014: My wife and I joined our group to hike Iron Peak Trail. The weather was ideal. We left the trailhead at 10 am and reached the saddle by noon gaining 2200 feet in 3 miles. Here we turned south to follow boot path on the ridge line to reach Iron Peak summit. The view improved as we go up. The view at the top was 360 degrees. We signed the register. Mt. Stuart was dominating the view to the north and Mt. Rainier was clear far to the south. We were able to see many other summits. It was a great hike except for horse droppings in the lower portion of the trail. We did not see many other hikers despite it was a sunny Saturday.

recorded Iron Peak Trail #1399