Iron Peak Trail #1399

Iron Peak Trail #1399 is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cle Elum, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is best used from July until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

From Seattle drive east on I-90 to East Cle Elum, exit 85. Cross over the freeway overpass and turn right (northbound) on State Route 970. Cross the Teanaway River bridge, and in another mile turn left onto Teanaway Road. Drive north on Teanaway Road, veering right as it becomes first the North Fork Teanaway Road and then unpaved Forest Road 9737 for 8.5 miles.

I meant to go to Bean Peak, but my dumb ass took the wrong trail. Ended up going up Iron Peak instead, and it was pretty amazing. The Beverly junction trail is well maintained and there are just a few creek crossings that aren't a big deal. The snow is melting fast, so I tried to go around the few patches toward the beginning of the iron peak trail. There are some holes that you can see through, so I'd be afraid of post holing. Once you get up to the ridge, there is quite of bit of snow, but it's easy to walk on and I didn't feel unsafe at all. Once you get to the very top, the views are unbelievable.. I can't wait to come back and explore this area even more. For a Saturday especially, I didn't run into many people at all, and the few that I did were super friendly. This is such a special place! Perfect for people who seek solitude. Bring bug spray and sun screen!

Monday, October 03, 2016

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Saturday 9-29-2014: My wife and I joined our group to hike Iron Peak Trail. The weather was ideal. We left the trailhead at 10 am and reached the saddle by noon gaining 2200 feet in 3 miles. Here we turned south to follow boot path on the ridge line to reach Iron Peak summit. The view improved as we go up. The view at the top was 360 degrees. We signed the register. Mt. Stuart was dominating the view to the north and Mt. Rainier was clear far to the south. We were able to see many other summits. It was a great hike except for horse droppings in the lower portion of the trail. We did not see many other hikers despite it was a sunny Saturday.