Learn more

Iron Horse Trail: Upper Twin Falls to Mine Creek

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(96)
Olallie State Park

Iron Horse Trail: Upper Twin Falls to Mine Creek is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.4 miles Elevation Gain: 748 feet Route Type: Out & Back

super cool views from the bridges, not a really exciting hike besides that

This trail is misleading by the photo. If you want to complete the lower twin falls trail it’s best to go to that trailhead and complete the hike. This trail leads you to the lower twin falls but once you hit the falls, turn around and go back because it takes you to the lower twin falls trailhead and parking area which is 9.8 miles away from this trial head. Beautiful falls, muddy and overgrown in certain areas but worth the hike!! By 9-930a A ton of people so go early! Thankful for the kind people who gave us a ride to our car or we would have had to backtrack the trails to our car!!! FYI: Apparently we hiked to the lower twin falls and not the upper twin falls trail and not to mine creek!!!

Very easy hike, moderate amount of traffic noise from the freeway. Great views across the valley - first large bridge is about a mile in, so you can stop there to make it even shorter. Good trail for new hikers, bicycles or wheel chairs. Car lot was full at 9am, but most people seem to be going to another local trail (Mt Washington). Trail is well exposed for extended areas along the bridges, so dress appropriately for the weather.

nice.enough, very easy, good hike. lots of climbers

Nice easy in and out. Look uphill for some amazing sights. On this part of the Iron Horse Trail waterfalls are visible from the bridges only, you do not actually get to one. Super windy today and some parts were icy with a bit of fresh snow. The constant noise rom I90 is annoying, though, as are the powerlines that always appear in the way of good photo shots.

I had to take. 8 week break from hiking after my hysterectomy. This was a perfect scenic and slow incline to get me back in the game. Very nice and peaceful trail.

Great flat piece of trail. Beautiful old trestles A great bit of history Only giving it 4 because 5s are reserved for the big hikes with great views

We had a lovely little hike up the iron horse trail today. We saw some beautiful views and some very wet sleet.

Many little trails off of the John Wayne pioneer trail, which is an old gravel path. Fun!

Good trail, some slight hills along the way. Narrow if you take the Twin Falls path. Some parts were loud due to the trail being right near I90, but overall very peaceful and pretty. Good views of the forest.

Mon Jun 10 2019

very close to I-90 and road noise the entire time. some really pretty views though, once you look past the telephone wires.

I came here on a Thursday morning. There were large patches of snow so I wasn’t able to finish the entire trail because I did not bring water proof shoes. This trail is great for trail running as the trail has a wide path and probably great for mtn bikes as well. I didn’t see anyone else walking or running on the trail only a few rock climbers. I will probably come back once the waether is warmer and there is no snow.

Mon Aug 06 2018

Attempted to hike Change Creek trail (up to what looks like Olallie Knob and J's Landing), marking post 108 on the John Wayne trail. There was a downed bee hive in the trail. 1 hiker coming down was stung 6+ times. The quick portion we hiked was forested, steep, and tranquil.

Thu Dec 14 2017

Lovely hike! Pretty easy. No snow and no mud on trail.

Fri Jul 28 2017

Starting from the Ollalie State Park trailhead of the freeway exit, its mostly a service road. Once you get to the twin falls trail, you hike down an easy trail, and bam... you'll find the gorgeous waterfall.

Sat Jul 15 2017

Basically just a road running parallel above I 90. We didn't see any of the waterfalls shown in the pictures. Lots of mountain bikes and some good areas for rock climbing.

Sat Jul 08 2017

This route is mostly a service road. Good for mountain biking and there are a few climbing posts. Not a great hike.

Mon Jun 12 2017

trail in map should be easy. It's not the correct direction if you want to see waterfall. Suitable for mountain biking.

Sun Jun 04 2017

Disappointed, should be rated: Easy

Mon Apr 03 2017

Challenging if you're not an avid hiker

Thu Sep 08 2016