Learn more

Iron Goat Trail is a 12.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Skykomish, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 12.1 mi Elevation gain 1,466 ft Route type Loop

Description
Waypoints (10)
Contact
Getting There

Most of the trail is flat, but there is a large set of steep switchbacks toward the beginning/end of the loop. If you choose to go clockwise from this trailhead, you will go downhill and encounter them at the very end of your hike. If you choose to go counter-clockwise, you will go up them at the very beginning of your hike.

Washington State Tourism, P.O. Box 42500 , Olympia, WA, 98504-2500, Phone: 360-586-2088, tobyg@tourism.wa.gov

Directions from Skykomish: Drive 6 miles east on U.S. Hwy. 2 to milepost 55. Turn north onto the Old Cascade Hwy. #67. Proceed to the junction with Road #6710. Turn onto this road and proceed 1.4 miles to the Martin Creek Trailhead parking lot.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (443)
Photos (388)
Recordings (305)
Completed (868)
Grace Rimmer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 12, 2020

On Tuesday August 11th a few kids went missing on this trailhead. My number is (602) 469-8878. If you did this trail and know anything feel free to text me or contact local authorities. Thank you

Steve Maxwell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2020
HikingGreat!

The trail was great. Good shape and easy to follow. Nice flowers and spectacular snow sheds and tunnels. Scenery is also wonderful. There were several places you had to watch for stinging nettles, but really no big deal if you’re alert.

Jamie Tradlener
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
HikingGreat!

Trail was in good shape and there was plenty of parking. A few parts of the upper loop trail were overgrown but nothing to bad. It was very obvious were the trail was.

Lindsey Koehler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020

Good! Buggy!

View Lindsey's Recording
Kegan Velie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingBugs
View Kegan's Recording
KH Kenny
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
Hiking

If you stay on the lower rail bed it is perfect for someone rehabing on crutches.

View KH's Recording
Trisha Hanson Schwartz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 17, 2020
HikingBugsOver grown
View Trisha's Recording
Jeff Schiffman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 11, 2020
Hiking

Great hike, not too tough if you start by making a left and going clockwise, leaving the switchbacks for coming down at the end. A few good views and really enjoyed the tunnels.

View Jeff's Recording
Todd Olsen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 6, 2020

I'm not an avid hiker but have done a few pretty good hikes in my past. I didn't go all the way to the top, but from what I did do, I would say this trail has some for just about anyone. Several miles of flat scenic easy hiking with cool old structures of our country's founding. But also there is some slightly more challenging inclines for those that are inclined to do so. One more perk is that there are at least two easy access trailheads in case you are driving a minivan or small electric car. if you love driving 40 minutes through potholes, this is not for you.

Ari Nielsen
HikingOver grown

Absolutely one of my all time favorite trails. It was a very quiet hike, I only saw probably about 8 other hikers the whole time. PLEASE bring mace, just in case. this is prime bear country! I took the lower trail, then took the upper trail back to the parking lot. Next time I go I will probably do the opposite, because on the climb down from the upper trail it is extremely steep and if you are prone to getting vertigo you will get it on the way down. The only reason I’m giving 4 stars is because the trail was so so overgrown! I almost turned around because i thought I had lost the trail, but luckily a couple nice hikers (who had trekked the trail many times) showed the way. I know this is no ones fault really (due to COVID and trail maintenance is not exactly something to be complaining about right now LOL) but I think it’s important to be aware before you go. Please also note the lower trail is riddled with stinging nettles. I got them all over my arm, and a group of hikers had to turn back because their little kiddos got hit by the nettles too. Bring Benadryl cream or hydrocortisone cream. Also a neat trick to get the nettles out - pick up a sword fern and use those little bumpy things on the backside of the leaves to rub on the area you have the nettles in your skin, and it will help to get them out! The stinging nettles are everywhereeee, like, almost unavoidable. But still, this trail is so freakin worth it. It’s like a walking history lesson, the caves are so neat and spooky and fun to learn about!

Kendra Moore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 4, 2020
HikingOver grownRockyWashed out
View Kendra's Recording
Cynthia Serna Overby
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020
Nature tripsMuddy

The hike was beautiful! We hoped to go through tunnels but the ones we came across had signs saying not to enter or were blocked off by nature! We decided to start off with the hardest part of the hike which was to climb the mountain and that was quite the workout! We encountered some mud but nothing too bad. No bears! Didn't seem like too much of the path is handicap accessible like it says. Overall we did a 6 mile hike and it was beautiful

Ed Heyman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 3, 2020
Hiking

3Jul20 - Great hike to experience some nostalgic RR train history. We took the upper East trail to the Wellington avalanche site (9.5 mi round trip). Be sure to check out the tunnels, remains of the snow sheds and occasional water falls spilling over the concrete retaining walls. From windy viewpoint you can see the Cascade RR tunnel (one of the longest in the Western Hemisphere) enter the mountain and Hwy 2 as it winds up the valley to Stevens Pass.

View Ed's Recording
Mira Vane
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 3, 2020
MuddyOver grown

This was on my list of historical, possibly haunted destinations, and it didn't disappoint. Went on a rainy morning, and it took a little over 5 hours to complete the entire trail. Yes we did go into and explore all the tunnels, and that was one of the best parts. The single tunnel with no collapse or obstruction at the halfway point of the trail was the creepiest part of all. I made sure to take plenty of pictures throughout, and every single one of them since we entered that tunnel has been corrupted and unusable. Definite major creep factor. The trail itself is well maintained, aside from some overgrown bits past the halfway/loop point. Saw a note about a bear sighting that same day, but it seems this bear likes to hangout near the trail head/ parking area more than anything since we never actually saw it on the trail. Overall not a difficult trail, unless you count the "goat path" from lower elevation up/down at the halfway/loop point. Plenty of interesting historical facts along the way. Not as heavily trafficked as we expected.

Alma Cardenas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2020
HikingGreat!MuddyOver grown

Beautiful hike and not too crowded. On the upper track, vegetation is taking back the trail at some points so recommend to bring long pants and long sleeves.

Lauren Skelly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 1, 2020
Walking

Cool trail! Very easy and good for all ages! The railroad things are really cool! Definitely recommend. :)

Beth Ricketts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 25, 2020

Love it

Nate Boyko
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 23, 2020
Hiking

We were here in Father’s Day. Spotted a bear, it was exciting only because I was a few feet away from my car. I probably would’ve passed out if I saw one on a trail . And bathrooms are closed

Alicia Josephine
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 23, 2020
Hiking

Incredible! Went for a Father's day hike, and drove 2-1/2 hours to get there. We took our baby in the jogging stroller (online trip reports mentioned the first 3+ miles is ADA accessible) and our 9 year old too. It's historic and the walk is beautifully interspersed with waterfalls, a river, bridges and a beautiful Rockwall that's covered in thick moss that water was trickling down in beautifully musical drips. Couldn't suggest this hike more. You can hear rushing water the entire time and the walk is covered in wildflowers.

Tony Bell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 22, 2020
Hiking

Trail was in pretty great shape. A few spots the plants were handing over the trail but nothing problematic. We love this historic area and the trail is mostly flat and easily navigated. A great place to take kids.

View Tony's Recording
David Sanchez
HikingMuddyOff trailRocky

Awesome trail, dog friendly. Lots of mud but also a lot of waterfalls.

View David's Recording
Victoria Meaders
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 21, 2020
HikingFloodedOver grownWashed out

My sister and I went on 6/16/20. We started at Martin creek. The first half was gorgeous and flat. We went up the switch backs which was a bit intense as it had been raining most of the day. Heading back along the upper part, after seeing the avalanche site, was a whole different story. The path was over grown and the trail was not visible in many spots. Where the waterfalls/ run over of the walls is, the trails were flooded and washed out. No logs or rocks to cross over. we had to go through the rushing water in 3-4 spots. Mind you, the drop offs are steep and if you step wrong you're going a long way down. What we expected to be a chill day hike, was terrifying in some places. We were prepared for everything and are intermediate hikers, but those few spots made repeating this place a 'No' for us.