Iron Goat Trail

Iron Goat Trail is a 5.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Skykomish, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Directions from Skykomish: Drive 6 miles east on U.S. Hwy. 2 to milepost 55. Turn north onto the Old Cascade Hwy. #67. Proceed to the junction with Road #6710. Turn onto this road and proceed 1.4 miles to the Martin Creek Trailhead parking lot.

It’s not a difficult trail, there is a lot natural beauty and a little bit of the history about the Great Northern Railway.

intersting history with the railway, views and scenery average but certainly worth the 2.5 to 3 hours for the loop

Epic! We went straight to the twin tunnels, took a switch back up to the above trail and followed that back to the start. 7 miles all together with our 6 year old. Amazing views, the upper portion was so awesome and a bit more challenging. The way down was a switchback and ridiculous! So steep but was a lot of fun. Definitely a new favorite!

Awesome awesome trail! Parked outside the scenic trailhead (it’s still closed!) and took my 9 year old son and puppy. The trail itself was fairly flat, we crossed to the upper grade at Martin’s Creek and took the upper grade back. We took the Windy Pt crossover down. If you can at all avoid it, don’t take that path up! It’s 1 mile long and has 28 switchbacks. Coming down it was the most unpleasant thing about the hike. The walk up has to be brutal!! A lot of snow runoff type streams on the upper grade that were a little scary for my 9 yo, so keep that in mind. The entire upper grade had a lot of running water over the trail. Didn’t make it to Wellington, but plan on doing that next time.

The artifacts left behind were interesting enough to keep my 9 yo old engaged throughout the hike and we both learned quite a bit about the railroad. Would absolutely do it again!

Had the pleasure of hiking this trail in Friday evening, easy trail on the lower grade with fantastic scenery. Headed back out of the trail after sunset which made for a fun scary experience as this trail is listed as a haunted trail due to the history here. Will be coming back to hike the upper grades!!

Perfection

Amazing trail. Absolutely stunning in winter, and fairly easy in the lower half. The upper ledge was a bit more technical than anticipated with 2’ of snow on the ground, but completely worth it.

This is my personal favorite of the PNW. There is so much history and beauty along this trail. Trail and bathrooms are well maintained. Artifacts and remnants are scattered not far off trails, please do not disturb them. Lots of interpretive signs that talk of the avalanche and current railways. Always a joy to visit when on the way to Leavenworth.

Hiked the lower and upper grade today for the first time, it was really nice. Be aware the upper grade was at least 1/3rd flooded out due to all of the rainfall (especially along the snowsheds), so bring some waterproof boots or wellies. Great pics and the dog loved it otherwise.

Completed another solo hike today! I stopped by the Iron goat interpretive site for a few minutes, then arrived at the Martin creek trailhead to the Iron goat trail. The first 2.75 miles is flat and easy, but with lots of historical scenery.

I went on further to Windy point where I immediately gained elevation and added 3 miles to the total. I wanted to continue on to Wellington, which is the exact location of a massive avalanche that claimed over 100 lives in 1910, but that would have added another 6 miles round trip, and I was running out of time.

That just gives me an excuse to return next year!

Spectacular fall foliage! Not a person in site for most of the day. The dogs loved the leaves and water falls. We loved the amazing photo opps!

Great hike

Pretty area with history along the way.

Good for kids.

Really liked the lower section of the trail from Martin creek trailhead to the interpretative center.
The upper section was pretty brushy with not much to see.

Super easy, great for kids. Mostly flat with the exception of one part that is really steep switchbacks, those were a thigh burner. Beautiful views up top. Cool historical things to read and view.

I would rate this as a easy to moderate trail. Definitely some parts that would be challenging for a smaller kid. Be prepared for walking through over grown paths for several miles - like walking through jungle. Bugs and flies were heavy and a bit annoying. Very cool historical spot along the way.

Great day hike - family friendly

Thursday, June 15, 2017

My absolute favorite trail. Hiked this one a couple years back and have been itching to come back and hike it again.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Great hike. Mixture of easy and moderate. Best bet is to take the left and head up the hill first and come down. Great history and good walk!!

Friday, May 19, 2017

Excellent hike but do upper first then lower to avoid steep switch back the other way around. Windy point is worth the jaunt. Depending on the season bears and cougars are noted.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

entrance was accessable. parking was accessable. there was bear and cub warnings, cougar warnings, and a sign in book. if you dont know whats wrong with the conditions, check out the book. the comments tell you.

lower grade: super fun, lots to see. caves, and tunnels were pretty cool. the bridge was pretty too. very clean trail.

upper grade: more steep but do able, the higher you went up the more snow. we saw a few cougar prints that were fresh, but made lots of noice and hit sticks into rocks to make sure it wouldnt come near us. you get to the top take 3 mile hike to the left to get back down. there is alot of snow to go through. watch your step, its very easy to fall through. a few of us got our legs stuck. there is a tunnel at the top. there is a cougar family in there, do not go inside. farther along the upper part there are 3 avalanche spots, and the snow is very loose. 2 of the spots reach right over a cliff. if you are to cross it like us, use your elbows, hips and feet. DO NOT STAND UP. after that heading down the rest of the down hill trail, the trail is flooded, and the waterfalls have narrow and deep, or wide and deep rivers. so be careful. once your down the mountain you end back on the main trail, then the parkinglot is only a half mile away.

we were un prepared and had a six year old and a boston terrier with us. the lower trail is better to stay on. the upper trail should be closed off. its not but it needs to be. other then that it was really fun and i will deffinitly go back when the snow is melted.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

2 stars because my buddy brought me to Iron Goat Trail in March. Word to the uninitiated: the trail is covered in snow in March. The trailhead could not be reached by vehicle, but there is a gravel road accessable by a private parking lot, which you must call and ask permission to use. I called the number on the sign at the parking lot around 11AM and got permission, no problem. Just had to text my licence plate number to the lot attendant. The gravel road which leads you up to the trail head was recently plowed, so it was only a moderately difficult 5 mile hike up (we hiked a few mikes past the trailhead for the loop). Overall, it was a beautiful hike along the creek and then up the mountain. However, trudging through the snow for 10 miles overall (out and back) with a 30lb pack (for training purposes) left my calves sore and cramped for the entire next 36 hours. The actual Iron Goat Trail, when we finally found it, it was several feet buried under snow. Beautiful, but not really do-able in early March. Maybe in early April the trail conditions will be different, if most of the snow has melted by then. Not sure, but it seems like such a cool hike, so I'd love to try again, ASAP. Two stars obviously isn't any fault of the trail itself -- just don't go in early March and make the same mistake that I did!! Thankfully it was a beautiful day and still quite scenic and enjoyable.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Very easy hike. We did the lower trail and from martin to the interpretive site and back was 6 miles. Be aware there is a bear and 2 cubs in the area so we wear a bell or talk as you are moving. Amazing hike to take your dogs with you.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

we only did the lower grade which was a great easy hike with kids. during the month of august there aren't a lot of great views though sadly. good historical signage related to the old tracks and tunnels.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Beautiful trail! It was a misty day which made for some great photos, but we were pretty wet. We started at the interpretive sight off of Hwy 2 and went up the switchbacks. It is pretty steep, but a good start. The rest of the trail is flat. The upper trail gets quite narrow and is overgrown in a few stretches. I would recommend long pants as there are some stinging nettles. The upper trail is muddy in places where water runs down. The history and remnants of the old train route are awesome. Would highly recommend this trail.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Great history along the trail. Switchback to Windy Point is a challenge but I am a beginner. Didn't make it to Wellington...next time. Bug spray is a must!! And lots of it!