Ingalls Creek Trail to Lake Ingalls

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(118)
Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest

Ingalls Creek Trail to Lake Ingalls is a 28.2 mile out and back trail located near Cashmere, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 28.2 miles Elevation Gain: 4,852 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Leavenworth: Travel 7 miles south on the Blewitt Pass Highway. Turn right at Valley Hi. Take the left hand fork and drive about a mile to the trailhead. Directions general: HWY 97 between 90 and 2, a few miles from joining HWY 2. You'll see road signs. Turn right (if going from HWY2/Leavernworth/Wenatchee/Chelan), drive a little, and roads ends at the trail head.

Great trail! Perfect for backpacking. We went on Sunday night so we had the pick of campgrounds. We stopped at the camp just past 3 miles in. There’s a small trail on the right heading out with a great campground with multiple ways to access the water. Great exploring along the trail and creek. Beautiful crystal clear water, very cold.

Always a nice time along Ingalls Creek. Nice and quiet on a Monday, one runner and one camper spotted. One of the nice things about this hike is you can go as far as you like and turn around and you’ve still had creek views, mountainsides and wildflowers aplenty. We did a short 3 mile out and then back hike today. Only a couple of easy to traverse blowdowns in that area. It’s pretty bushy in places, and after fresh rain you’re going to get wet. But that’s all part of the fun.

Hiked this on 5/30/2020. Started this hike hoping it would be our first overnight backpacking trip of the season, but decided to make it a long day hike due to weather and trail conditions. We did 8 miles of the trail as an out-and-back, 16 miles total, starting at 8:30am and ending at 6:30pm on 5/30/2020. When we arrived the parking lot had about 8 cars, many with kayak equipment. The trailhead bathroom is still locked due to COVID-19. As many have noted, the trail is really pleasant, especially the first 3-4 miles; lots of wildflowers and the ever-present rush of Ingalls Creek. Things are a little overgrown and a few small trees to step over, but nothing major. This changes after you hit the trail junction with Falls Creek (between 5-6 miles from trailhead). The trail gets much brushier and there are more, and larger, blowdowns to clamber over. The challenge with the hike isn't really the individual blowdowns, but the quantity, and for backpackers, the added energy expended climbing with a heavier pack. Additionally, there are a number of small stream crossings, a few of which (especially after about ~7 miles in) require walking through shin-high water. We decided to turn back at a particularly large blowdown, due to the bad weather forecast and lack of desire/sheer will to repeat everything the next day. The return trip was long but uneventful, and we made it out right as the predicted thunderstorm rolled into the valley. Pros: -Tons of fantastic camping spots, including plenty at the beginning of the trail. The frequency of spots seemed to decline as the hike progresses. -Deeper into the trail it feels quite remote -Beautiful wildflowers and scenery -Plenty of water access Cons: -Lots of blowdowns, stream crossings, and overgrowth will slow down your progress Notes: -The trail was somewhat busy; we saw hikers, backpackers, and trail runners about once every half hour, though this decreased the farther in we got. But it didn't seem crowded. -No one had masks on or seemed to care much about social distancing -No signs of rattlesnakes but I did have the pleasure of spotting a rubber boa off to the side of the trail!

June 2- Beautiful trail, but we went in too early! Lots of nice camp sites along the water. Blowdowns start to get really bad around mile 10. Watch for rattlers!

Hiked this trail Memorial Day weekend. Only went five miles in and then turned around. It is a good hike for families, dogs, and maybe the not so fit. We did encounter 2 rattlesnakes, so be sure to keep your ears and eyes open. This trail is not the best for social distancing, because there is not much shoulder for passing. Trail was well maintained a few downed trees and mud in some areas. Drive to parking was easy. Overall great hike for water, flowers and sun.

Hiked today. Beautiful trail. We lived the wildflowers! We were surprised by the rattlesnake my daughter almost stepped on near the river. Watch your step!

Hiked May 19,2020. Trail is in great shape. Flowers are beginning to bloom. Great picture opportunities. A nice and friendly trail where people smile and say hi!! This is one of my favorite trails for a quick or long hike close to home.

Quick 2 night backpacking trip was quite beautiful! Really enjoyed this trail. Partial snow on trail and because of Covid parts of it have not been maintained so there are many trees to cross. It was a great adventure. Close to water source for filtering, we didn't need to carry much and we brought a fire starter for camp fire. We ended up doing 15 mile round trip.

Hiked in for an hour and a half before turning around. Trail has a few small trees down and snow partly on the trail about an hour into the hike. The snow was easy to navigate and not very much.

icy

We took our son (7) and dog went to check aIngalls Creek trailhead out today. We made it about a mile in, and if the weather had melted away the show and ice, I know we’d of gone further. It was a GOOD stretch of the limbs. I feel like “moderate” is an accurate rating for this trail. Can’t wait to come back later in the year and explore further each time.

I loved hiking this trail in June. It was gorgeous, not too buggy, and finding a good place to camp was no trouble. There was plenty of access to water, and the views were beautiful. We didn’t finish the last mile or two with the steep ascent, as I have tender feet and was already running low on moleskin, and there were a LOT of blowdowns, but it was a lovely hike I would highly recommend.

Cold and overcast with lots of fresh snow, so a perfect time to go winter camping. Despite having no fresh tracks other than some cat tracks and other animal tracks, the trail was well defined for the 5-6 miles that I hiked in.

You can bring Your dog only on part of the trail. Shitty as I was expecting longer with my pups.

Great Hike!! Trail is nice and well traveled.

some felled trees to hustle over and a bit of bushwacking on the upper half. We saw bears right around mile 5 - a mama and her cub. It was pretty hot coming out through the shale up against the rock face, but there is water available along most of the trail. The camp sites were beautiful and plentiful.

Excellent hike. In and out of old burns most of the way, lots of sun exposure. But the old growth in between the burns is gorgeous and shady.

Tue Jun 04 2019

Hiked for a total of 24 miles out and back. The first 8 miles are for about 70-80% with overgrown plants. From the 4th mile there are many logs from an old wildfire, a few big and hard ones. Camped one night at Ingals Creek Camp. On the way back I saw a black snake after a mile I restarted hiking. When I stopped for a snack I had two ticks trying to get on me. The last quarter mile before getting back to the trailhead I had a young rattlesnake (I believe it was) 2 feet away, totally freaked me out.

Sat Jun 01 2019

Tue May 21 2019

Did a one night backpacking trip 5/19 to 5/20/19 on this trail. It was my first backpacking trip ever! 25.33 miles total 17+ hrs on trail and 2,995 ft elevation gain. Lots of blow downs, bushwacking, washouts and creek/stream crossings on trail. Hiked in 14.02 miles. Trailhead is paved road, parking area is gravel. Bathroom is a vaulted toilet. No TP in bathroom and stinky trash. Must have a northwest forrest pass or America the beautiful pass to park here as there is no self pay station. Must sign the log for a self issued permit. Cool little grave across from the biggest most flat camp spot along the raging creek. Where Fred Erickson lies one of the original builders/owners of Ingalls Creek Lodge. Saw two deer in the forrests on our way out. Found ticks on ourselves, I had one and my friend had 3, 2 of which were Dog Ticks (ticks on steroids!). Saw a Rubber Boa on trail on the hike out. Make sure you have some sort of navigation as there are plenty of places where you can loose the trail. Most of the creeks and streams are raging right now from all of the snow melt. Lots of waterfalls on the mountains. I would not recommend this trail for small children as there are some steep drop offs, the trail can get pretty narrow, overgrown, ticks and big blow downs. Only encountered a tiny amount of snow on trail where we hiked but heard from 2 female backpackers who hiked further up that the trail turned to soft snow where postholing, slipping and sliding was common, so they turned around. Saw a big college group of hikers, a backpacker and a couple hikers on 5/20/19 all on our way back to trailhead, saw no one at camp. 5/19/19 saw 11 people. And some campers along the river. 5/19/19 when the weather is more warm all the bugs are out, including mosquitoes and ticks. Numerous trail junctions along this trail.