Ingalls Creek Trail to Lake Ingalls

Ingalls Creek Trail to Lake Ingalls is a 28.4 mile out and back trail located near Cashmere, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until October.

Directions from Leavenworth: Travel 7 miles south on the Blewitt Pass Highway. Turn right at Valley Hi. Take the left hand fork and drive about a mile to the trailhead. Directions general: HWY 97 between 90 and 2, a few miles from joining HWY 2. You'll see road signs. Turn right (if going from HWY2/Leavernworth/Wenatchee/Chelan), drive a little, and roads ends at the trail head.

I almost reached the lake on this hike back at the end of May/beginning of June, but we hit heavy snow and stayed at the last campground that wasn't completely under. We hadn't prepared for deep snow so where we camped on the slop worked great for us in the end. Our group left Memorial Day to start the hike, so by the time we were up and starting that evening there was no one else, everyone had gone home. We only encountered three other groups during our 4 days here; one was an older couple heading home from doing the first 5 miles as a day hike, the second was a group coming in to camp at the 5 mile mark, and the last were a few people looking to go beyond the 5 mile mark.
This trail is a gentle climb continually upward towards the lake and isn't too strenuous, just be prepared to put in several miles. There are camp grounds along the way with a rather large on 5 miles in, but after that you won't find any for some ways. We had slight overcast some of the days we were out but no rain. The snow melt off had flooded the river and it was raging pretty hard, the area where horses normally cross the river was completely unsafe during this time of year because of the high water level. We didn't have problems with bugs really, and you could see the mountains to the right towering above so it was VERY beautiful. Wild flowers, especially wild Lupin, were blooming everywhere. It was picturesque. I wish we could have made it to the lake. We covered 24 miles in all and I would do it again gladly

Pretty easy hike, a few steep places but nothing overly strenuous. I'm guessing this trail is rated moderate for how long it is. We brought our dog with us and ended up doing 7 miles roundtrip. Plenty of spots to stop along the creek. Our pup enjoyed a few swims and we enjoyed a nice lunch in the shade. The trail had the perfect mix of sun and shade. Next time we'll aim to go further!

We hiked the trail as far as the refrigerator rocks about 2.5 miles up and then 2.5 miles back. Beautiful spring blooms and the rushing water is so exhilarating. A popular hike, meeting up with hikers coming from overnighters headed to the lake to day hikers like ourselves. Very pleasant and beautiful.

We hiked from the Ingall's Creek trailhead to the junction with the Fall's Creek trail, camped near the junction, and returned the next day. We enjoyed perfect weather: sunny and 70-ish during the day, and I'm guessing the overnight lows neared 40ish. The trail is in good condition with a few downed trees, a couple of small washouts, lots of little streams to cross, and what's left of an avalanche before you hit Fall's Creek. The bright hillsides are bursting with lupine, balsamroot, paintbrush and snowbrush! If you look closely, you'll also see lots of trilliam, some monarda and a few tiny fairy slipper orchids.

Ingall's Creek is really rushing river at this time of year, and it is impossible to cross at Fall's Creek. The roar of the water is a constant companion on the trail. So much water makes for ample opportunities to refill your water bottles-- just remember to filter first!

There are many really lovely campsites along the trail, some with little private swimming pools in the creek (too cold now, but maybe welcome in August?), most with small fire rings. Several are secluded for those wishing a little solitude, and the noise of the creek pretty well guarantees you won't hear the other hikers out on the trail.

A note about dogs-- this trail seems to allow dogs off leash, or at least the trailhead bulletin board doesn't expressly require leashes. All of the dogs we met were friendly, but take note if your pup doens't wish to be approached.

This was a welcome spring hike after lots of dark, mossy, drippy forests on the peninsula this fall. I'd recommend long pants to protect your legs from the wildflowers and shrubs enthusiastically growing over the trail, and boots for the rattlesnakes other hikers have reported. We saw only one tiny little guy slither across the trail, and he was moving too quickly to identify.

It was beautiful. I will definitely go back.

♡♡♡ this trail! Thankfully no rattlers although the trail report was full of spottings! I've said it before, I ♡ trails by the rivers, SO nice for my dog and me! I take a full dip if it's super hot, which here there are PLENTY of beautiful, deep, clean and cold spots along the way to fully submerge yourself! Today I forgot my water bottle so stopped every so often to use my hands and drink from the river, I also took my shirt off and soaked it to put back on while running, great way to keep cool. The trails has a few different terrains, some parts there is no way I could run through! Started to late so did not finish, also spent too much time playin in the river ha ha! Can not wait to come back and finish it next time. Today was about an 82° late summer day, want to come back in mid november. :) Happy Trails

Monday, August 01, 2016

Had a great hike up to spring run off boulder field, five miles up the trail. Took my dog, and she did most of her drinking from creek, but I did have to give her some water in a bowl. Ran into rattle snake on the trail. We did a total of 10 miles.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

13 miles out and back starting at the trailhead near Hwy 97. Warm day, beautiful scenery. Lots of flowers. A couple steep places but not too bad. 3100 ft of elevation gain according to Endomondo. Nice trip along the creek (mostly). Some views of snowy peaks.

Sunday, September 07, 2014

We've hiked this many times, both with kids/dogs and not. I agree with Mitch, depending on the winter, you can get in much earlier than August. In fact I don't like it so much past July. Rattlesnakes are much more abundant July and later as they are seeking the cool tree roots and creek. One of my dogs got nailed and survived but it was not pleasant at all. Hearing a rattlesnake at shoulder height was quite unnerving. Highly recommend this hike during the cool month of May/June for the flowers. I haven't made it past 6 miles - beach and horse camp area.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

I think the overview is a little misleading when it says Aug - Sept. I hiked this trail at the end of May when all the mountain roads/trails were still covered in snow. I started from the west end at the trail head just off hwy 97. Lots of wildflowers providing lots of color. I followed the trail 5 or 6 miles and relaxed on a nice rocky "beach" next to the creek before turning around. It was fairly flat most of the way and suitable for all ages. I definitely enjoyed this early season hike and the chance to get in some exercise away from the more crowded trails on the west side of the Cascades.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

OK. 3rd attempt at this review, so this will be short. Great hike, beautiful scenery as you follow the creek. We went a total of 11.75 miles up and back. It was hot (95 deg) but there is a good amount of shade. Another bonus is at about 2.6 miles from the trailhead: "the Refrigerator"--a boulder field that spews out cool air currents from gaps in the boulders. Access to the creek can be difficult--too bad for our dog that needed some cooling off. Lots of butterflies and other bugs but no mosquitoes

Thursday, April 12, 2012