Indian Heaven Trail

Indian Heaven Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Trout Lake, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and horses and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,564 feet Route Type: Loop

From Vancouver, east 70 miles on Highway 14 to Highway 141. Turn north and drive 22 miles to Trout Lake. Continue north on Highway 141 as it becomes Forest Service Road 24 for 18 miles to the signed trailhead within Cultus Creek Campground.

Gorgeous hike! There was snow on the ground which made it a little hard to see the trail at times. Plus the trails aren’t well marked. I took a wrong turn and stumbled upon 3 gorgeous lakes and an amazing lookout. I decided to not do the full loop, due to time. Took a wrong turn again and eventually found my tracks in the snow. Lol. Next time I’ll bring a map, or not hike alone! I’m excited to go back and do the full loop. Quite the adventure!

Great trail, fairly popular this time of year still for a Fri/Sat. Initial climb up Indian Heaven Trail from Cultus Campground was hard work for backpacking overnight but better than going up the other side (Cultus Creek TH) in my opinion. Nice viewpoint on a clear sunny day as a reward after your elevation gain. We enjoyed passing the various lakes and found a lovely clear blue lake just off the PCT to camp by and get water. Not as many mushrooms were out this time of year yet as compared to our trip in October last year, but still plenty to take pictures of! Lots of Huckleberries. WTA was working on clearing the Cultus Creek Trail on our way down so the soil was quite loose, plus lots of rocky points going down so it was helpful to have trekking poles. I would rate that part of the loop as more difficult as it was narrow most of the time, difficult terrain with rocks, loose soil, roots, and in a few instances the trail had split into trenches.

The trail is in great shape and there are still tons of wildflowers. Take your bug spray. The mosquitos are terrible around the lakes.

My wife (5mo. pregnant) and I did this one today intending on stopping at Deep Lake but instead we made it to Cultus Lake and even that took some navigating on our part. You start to hit a decent amount of snow about 1 mile in and it never clears up. There were time where we completely lost the trail but knowing that we needed to go SSE to get to the lake ultimately helped us out. Take a GPS if you go soon or give it another few warm weeks and the trail should be great. The view of Adams and St. Helens were amazing!

We tried this trail yesterday (June 2nd, 2019) and the parking lot was still mostly covered in two feet of snow. After about 15 minutes of searching we finally found the trailhead. At first the trail seemed like it was ok but then about a mile in we lost the trail due to it being covered in 2 - 3 feet of snow. At this point I just gave up being it was my first time there and didn't want to end up lost that far back. Big Disappointment. I did however get some great shots of Mt. Adams from various points so I guess that made the two hour drive not so much of a bust.

Sun Sep 30 2018

September 29. Started at Cultis Creek Campground trail #108 and followed loop through trail #33. Spectacular autumn foliage. The huckleberries were vibrant red and you could still find fruit at Deep Lake. Spotted a frog and a snake, lots of birds. Do visit the side trails to other lakes. Deep lake was beautiful. Found the old PCT trail via one of the meadows. Take a photo of the map as a guide.

Sat Sep 15 2018

A very pleasant hike. Probably the real question about which direction to take is whether you want to hit lakes shortly after the uphill climb (then start on the Indian Heaven trail) or end with lakes just before starting the downhill (then start with the Cultus Creek trail. In any case, this hike is mainly about meadows and lakes with a few good vistas. And this time of year the huckleberries are amazing, the bugs nonexistent, the the colors beautiful. Pay attention to the mushrooms. There are so many varieties, some of amazing size (large and small) and some with brilliant colors. Take the trails to Deep Lake, Lemei Lake, Deer Lake, Wood Lake - you may as well enjoy the lakes. In all but one case, we had the lakes to ourselves.

Wed Aug 29 2018

I was with Lisa: see below

Wed Aug 29 2018

Start from Cultus Creek side of loop, rather than Indian Heaven. It’s very rocky and steep-we came down that way and wished we’d gone up it instead. A lot of work for end of hike. Overall really enjoyed this hike. Gorgeous views, meadows, huckleberries, lakes, not too many people. Not dusty. Good climbs in and out.

Sun Jul 15 2018

Beautiful view of Mt Adams and St Helens early on. Lots of lakes and meadows. Decent wildflowers. LOTS of mosquitos the whole trail even with 98% deet. Seriously bad mosquitos.

Fri Sep 08 2017

Not spectacular, just really... pleasant (in the best sense of the word). Steep climb at the beginning, but very nice on the Indian Heaven "plateau". Very park-like, pretty lakes, some peekaboo mountain views (Mt Adams is the major one, with Goat Rocks & Mt Rainier in the distance), tons of huckleberries, lots of places to camp. The Cultus Creek section of trail is especially steep (even on the way down) and narrow, but is kinda neat because you get glimpses of how high up you really are. Buggy as expected, but no mosquitos (as of 8/19). Roads are partly paved and gravel/dirt (very dusty) but in good condition. Even with a lot of parking spots in the campground, none open when I first got there on a Saturday. Popular!

Mon Sep 04 2017

Pretty scenery, especially the lakes. Do the Lemei hike as well, amazing views from that location.

Sun Jul 09 2017

Awesome view of Mt Adams. I think it is about two miles up! We couldn't get to the lake because of snow. Mosquitos are horrible! Trail 33

Wed Oct 26 2016

Gorgeous trail. 7.5 miles long. Very quiet, haven't seen anybody all day. Numerous lakes around. Great workout! Hiked on October 25th 2016. Bring layers it was around 40-45 degrees, cold!

Wed Jul 13 2016

Very well marked trails. I did not see one other person hiking that day, it was very serene. I came upon 7 or so lakes and a few piles of elk poo. Mosquitos are HORRIBLE right now, so I'd highly recommend bug spray.

Sat Apr 30 2016

Really liked camping at Blue Lake…gorgeous blue water with excellent reflections at sunrise. Also camped at Bear Lake, on the peninsula, and that was really cool as well. Nice meadows, gorgeous forest. It was a great time.

Sat Mar 03 2012

Used trailhead off forest road 65 for Thomas Lake and joined PCT. Camped at Clear Lake. Did day hikes south to Indian Heaven; north to Wood Lake; east to Cultus Creek campground and Deep Lake. Good trails - nice views of Mts Rainier, St Helens, Adams.

recorded Indian Heaven Trail