Indian Bar Trail

Indian Bar Trail is a 14.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Paradise Inn, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September.

Distance: 14.4 miles Elevation Gain: 4,773 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Stevens Canyon Entrance: Drive the Stevens Canyon Road west 10 miles to the parking lot at Box Canyon. Find the signed gravel trail directly across the highway from the parking area. Do not take the paved nature trail by mistake.

GREAT day out there! fabulous hike! takes a bit to get out of the forest, but hang in there because it's worth it. amazing views along the whole ridge. only snow is for a few feet just before the decent into the bowl at the very end. I stopped before the trail descended to the camp at the end and found that to be a great alternative. Trail is a little muddy in places but only where the frost was.

Mind blowing section of the Wonderland Trail. My friend says it’s the best section. I will hopefully end up doing the whole thing at some point but wow hiking doesn’t get much better than this. We knew bad weather was coming in bringing 3-4 inches of snow above 4K feet so we decided to do this hike and stay at the shelter at Indian bar. It would have been a miserable night without the shelter as temps were around freezing. It’s a tough hike with a pack on but got us ready for Mt St Helens summit 2 days later

Me and my wife did this hike on a misty cloudy morning this July. Later, the skies started to open up and show the mountains. What a great hike. There are some steep sections and a 15 mile out and back is a long day, but I feel this was worth the time and effort. Flowers everywhere. Indian Bar is simply magical. Once you reach it, the excitement and grandeur is awesome. I felt this place was different than most other places in the park. I wish we could have spent the night. The group campsite has a nice shelter to sleep in, but the bunk beds seem to be in poor condition. The water source is easy to get.

Great hike today. Weather was fine & dry so we got some great views near the end of the trail, though Rainer hid behind clouds some of the time. The first 4 miles or so is a steady climb through some nice old growth forest. After that, you emerge into Alpine meadows with some fine wildflowers and occasional views. Keep following the trail & at the last peak before descending to Indian Bar, the views are spectacular. Long & tiring but not especially difficult.

Mon Aug 06 2018

One of my favorite Rainier hikes! You start in the forest and hike up into the alpine. You travel through untouched meadows with stunning views of rainier. You continue on until you descend into Indian bar. We ate our lunch and watched a black bear meandering in the meadows. What I loved is how secluded this trail feels, went on a Saturday and hardly saw anyone. Will definitely do this again!

Mon Jun 27 2011

This is a great hike, beautiful, its listed as moderate, but i think it is a little more toward the demanding side. Find a hike profile and take a look, it has some elevation gain. but well worth it.

Wed Jul 18 2018