Index Town Wall Trail

Index Town Wall Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Index, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,250 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Once you're at parking lot, cross the railroad tracks and turn right to walk down the gravel path about less than half a mile to look for a red sign that says "authorized vehicles only." Your trail begins here. The incline is quite steep if you follow the upper wall trail. Keep your head up and alert to follow the blue, pink, and orange markers to follow the trail. The trail will begin a greater incline with skinny roads once you're half way. Once you reach the metal bars with metal rope follow the creek bed which will lead you right up to the summit. Looking over the town is AWESOME. No little kids...they won’t finish it. There are a couple lookouts. Don’t just stop at one.

Amazing view at the end makes the steep and muddy climb worth it! Not sure if we lost the trail or if the trail became a creek at the very end due to high precipitation. Despite the conditions we continued to follow the pink flagging until we found the lookout!

suuper steep and kind of confusing at times, but the view is definitely worth it! there wasn't any snow when we went up. park in the lot and cross the tracks, but don't go directly to the wall. follow them to the right until you come across the sign as mentioned above :) the dirt is super loose in places so watch your step

As long as you download the map and follow the other reviews it’s not too hard to figure out, but the trail is at times hard to follow. View at the end was worth it though!

It would have been great to see the views at the end but got lost one two many times and had to head home before I got to the top.

Great destination. Challenging ascent - often steep with loose dirt. Trail is technically difficult and often obscure. After crossing tracks immediately follow “trail” along tracks to the right. I thought the mention of "cables" suggested a narrow-edge hand-hold situation, but rest-assured they're simply a landmark and not part of the trail.

Great trail on a hot day! Intense climb!

Like everyone else says it can be easy to lose the trail so look for pink/red tape and blue diamond markers. we ended up going up the wrong way but found our way back to the trail. Without having to backtrack. It’s a good trail to practice on to get ready for mailbox peak.

Make sure that once you cross the railroad tracks, you take a hard right to another path that will have a red sign “authorized vehicles only”. Head down that one and you’ll come to an opening with a picnic bench to the left, and the trailhead to your right. Don’t be tempted to cross the tracks and go straight! There you’ll see a bathroom and the a bunch of rock climbers - we met some people that took that way and it added on an extra 40 minutes of rocky scramble at the bottom for them. The trail itself is narrow, steep, and the ground is a little loose in some places making it hard to grip - if you have hiking poles you might want to bring them. There are arrows that guide you for the first half mile or so, then they give way to blue diamonds and orange and pink ribbon markers. There’s a fork on the trail that is not marked by a sign - we hung a left since the blue diamond seemed to be closer to the left path, and we ended up fine. Beautiful view of Index mountain and the town below!

Loved this hike. The view at the end was incredible. Didn’t see one other person on the trail but watched a ton of rock climbers going up the wall. There are a few places at the top where you need to look for markers I could see how others said they lost the trail. Leave a little time before or after your hike and visit the cute little town of Index and spend time down by the river.

Went after work and the trail just kept going or so it felt. Definitely some slippery sandy portions that were tough up and down. Great view at the top of the area

Very narrow and steep. Accidentally lost the trail for a bit, it gets less obvious the higher you go. Keep an eye out for blue markers and red ties on some of the trees.

This hike was a real butt kicker but so worth the views at the top. We hiked with our kids ages 6-12. They did great but it was tough. Poles helped. Saw only 1 other hiker on the trail. Lots of rock climbers though. I can’t believe more people don’t hike this trail. It reminded me of Rattlesnake Ledge but without the massive amounts of people. This one is a must-do. Truly a hidden gem.

Index Town Wall is a short strenuous hike with an incredible view. ~1000 elevation over a mile. It’s easy to get off trail at points, so take your time and always cross check your navigation. There are occasionally diamonds that will help guide you. If you have week knees I suggest trekking poles. A couple points felt like scrambles, but nothing difficult. I went up on a cloudy day, and still had amazing views. I left my car at 2:30 on a Friday and only came across two other hikes (one coming down as I went up, and one going up as I went down). There were plenty of rock climbers, but when it comes to the hiking trail, this is a true hidden gem.

Make sure you go right when first getting to the rail road!!!!!! Or you’ll be scrambling on some rocks to get to the trail head! Find the red sign saying “No unAuthorized vehicles”. This is the walk to the trail head. The trail is narrow when you start and is steep! Make sure you run into the blue,orange, and pink markers! It’s about an hour and some change to the top and it’s amazing! Worth the struggle. The view is one of the best I seen on a hike. Multiple viewing spots. The way back down is a cake walk about 35 minutes on the way down. Low key gem of a hike.

Awesome view!! Steep trail. Thought about taking our dog and glad we didn’t, was steep and slick in spots and we would’ve fallen trying hold him going down! Saw 3 dogs none on leashes. Poles would be great to have. Will definitely do it again. Took two boys 8&11 and wouldn’t suggest it unless your kids are in great shape or they won’t end up making it to the top. Like others said go over RR tracks and turn right and walk beside them until red sign and trail starts there. Follow red flags at the upper portion and turn right at the cables until you see the lookout. The cable spot where the right turn is might have thrown us off but I recognized where we were at that point from riding dirt bikes up there 20 years ago before it was closed to riding.

Hiked this trail Tuesday 6-11-19, arrive at 8am. I didn’t see any other hikers all day but saw several rock climbers. I was sweating like crazy within the first 15 mins. Made it to the top in 1hr 10mins. Amazing view, green foliage everywhere you look. You can see bridal veil falls from up there, and another huge waterfall on the other side of Mt index too. you will come to several forks, but it’s really easy to follow the right trail as long as you locate the blue markers with arrows pointing the right way, they are on trees, stumps or rocks. There is also some red flags closer to the top. There is more lookouts after the main lookout, I went to a couple more but turned around because a peregrine falcon started dive bombing, I’m guessing she’s got babies somewhere on the cliffs. Don’t recommend this to anyone with bad knees, with little kids. take your time, you will be rewarded with an amazing view.

Good hike and other reviews are right, yep it’s steep and it keeps going up. In other words, a sweat fest! The views were gorgeous at Top even with the cloud cover. No bugs, some parts of the trail are a little overgrown, but not bad. I thought there were a few more forks in the trail with opportunity to get lost or off trail than some of the other reviews led on, so I took a lot more time going up than usual checking to make sure I was on the right path. It is a heavy climbing area, so I’m assuming some of the other seemingly looking trails are short paths to climbing areas. Blue diamonds the whole way up (didn’t see green or the other colors some reviews mentioned, but then again I spent most of the time going up cussing haha). Saw the orange and pink ribbon once you got closer to the top. All in all, good hike, nice trail, and good tip views.

Pretty steep. Great training hike or quick hike. The view at the top is really pretty. There’s not much to look at between the bottom and the top though. Might do again. Bring poles.

Great hike with top notch views at the top. Trail can be tricky to keep track of around 3/4 mile (in flatter open space) from parking lot. Keep traversing left looking for fallen trees with moss rubbed off from people hiking. Trail is easy to stay on once you pass this hurdle. We used the map on the app here to help us move in the right direction. Happy hiking!

Tips: -once you're at parking lot, cross the railroad tracks and turn right to walk down the gravel path about less than half a mile to look for a red sign that says "authotized vehicles only" -your trail begins here, the incline is quite steep if you follow the upper wall trail -keep your head up and alert to follow the blue, pink, and orange markers to follow the trail. -the trail will become a greater incline and skinny roads once you're half way -once you reach the metal bars with metal rope follow the creek bed which will lead you right up to the summit Started our ascend at 12:30, got to the top at 13:50 with a few breaks along the way, enjoyed the amazing view & had some lunch, then started our descent down the mountain reaching the bottom less than an hour. Racked in about 3miles totaling a 3hr hike. The summit view was pretty spectacular for a short hike! The incline was kick ass, felt like we were off trailing most of the time. the trail got a bit tricky but we followed the blue, pink, and orange markers

Steep the whole way...follow the ribbons and markers on the trees. Looking over the town is AWESOME!!!! No little kids...you won’t finish it. There are a couple lookouts. Don’t just stop at one. One of the best hikes I’ve done so far

This was our first hike ever. And well, we did it! The views are absolutely breathtaking. We went with our dog. Definitely a hard one, don’t underestimate it, probably took us longer than normal haha but it’s awesome.