Iller Creek Conservation Area Trail

Iller Creek Conservation Area Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Spokane, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,230 feet Route Type: Loop

Iller Creek Conservation Area consists of trails on approximately 900 acres. Offers several different trails which lead to some beautiful views of Spokane and Spokane Valley.

Great trail options here for someone like me who is not yet in top shape. Enjoyed seeing other walkers, runners and bikes.

I like taking this trail counterclockwise. The uphill work is in the shade and you are facing all the views on your way down.

Beautiful trail with stunning views of the Palouse. It’s a bit of a workout going up, but so worth it. Did this trail 3 times already and will be back. The only downside is there are a lot of fast mountain bikers on the trail.

Beautiful right now—the view from the top is full of bright green fields.

recorded Recording - Jun 16, 10:39 AM

LOTS OF BIKERS! So watch out for them.. but there are a lot of trails to choose from. The trails I would say are more a moderate hike than an easy as its mostly uphill to start. Its a beautiful hike and has rewarding views. I will be doing this cluster of trails often ❤

Very busy with people. Lots of horse and dog poo. Otherwise, it was a beautiful hike.

Well I must say, this was a challenge for me. I’m just starting out so when I saw that it was marked “easy” I was excited. Well I’m going to say that it’s “moderate” for this mom! Lol... it was beautiful but it was definitely uphill and I made it halfway! I’m for sure making it my goal to reach the top! Lots of mosquitoes too!!!

Well maintained trail. Make sure you take water! The views from the Rocks are stellar. Watch out for the mountain bikers who blast downhill.

Well maintained, beautiful views at the top! It is a popular trail, so there are crowds.

don't forget the mosquito repellant.

This is a great trail, loved the views.

Great hike up to the top today. The trail is well groomed and not muddy today. Several small creek crossings on the west slope but nothing to serious. We saw several mountain bikers today on the trail. All the dog poop that others were reporting earlier is gone.

trail from Iller creek TH. up left side in good shape little mud great views.

raw natural awesome trail

nice trail, I would stay to the right when at begining of trailhead nicely shaded and lots of running water for the dogs to drink. Top has a beautiful view of course a bit windy. backside down was dusty, steep and hot.

Hiked 3/27/19. I would rate closer to Moderate only because of the snow pack and ice. Crampons recommended this time of year. No major features until you get to the big rocks, which are really striking and add to a panoramic valley overlook. Lots of birds and little critters, deer droppings and pine cones. Gets muddy easily. Only reason I wouldn’t rate higher is because you can hear ambient people noise (traffic, dogs, trains) from time to time. The snow melt creates some decent little streams running across the trail, so be prepared to stretch and jump over them.

As expected the trail was super snowy but manageable. There are still some areas of deep snow and much of the trail is very uneven. I wouldn’t recommend this trail for anyone with weak ankles until the snow clears! I’ll definitely be back later in the season. I love this hike however, irresponsible dog owners that leave their dog poop all over the trails are ruining an other wise awesome hike. We took three pups out with us, had poop bags, kept them on leash at all times (per the rules of the conservative area), and had an awesome time. Want you dogs to be able to run off leash? I get it. My pups LOVE being off leash, but go to a trail that allows it. And please pick up your dogs poop, or at least grab a stick and fling it off the damn trail.

I love this hike due to it's convenient location. Unfortunately dog owners that leave crap on the trail and have dogs off leash are ruining it for those of us that follow the rules (aka common courtesy to other trail users). I'll be surprised if they keep allowing dogs for much longer. Many conservation areas have stopped allowing dogs and have starting to fine dogs owners if you get caught. ☹️

Greet trail system.

Amazing spot to take the dogs hiking, my energetic Brittany spaniel finally met his match taking the longest loop up. Plenty of beautiful spots for a break.

fun for an easy afternoon hike

This is a great trail in the Spring or Fall. If you start along the creek it is shady and the incline is gradual. Definately take the south loop to see Rocks of Sharon and views of the Palouse. The east rim offers more sunshine and views of the Spokane Valley and beyond.

Pros: Close to Spokane, gradual incline, leads to impressive vistas at Rocks of Sharon area, good for trail running Cons: Not very challenging, can be dry and hot in summer, A friend and I did this route late in the evening in early Sep. 2018. The actual hike itself is pretty easy, and the access road is very well marked and paved. The trail ascends parallel to the creek of its namesake for a ways, then breaks out into some short switchbacks, then you follow a ridge towards the Rocks of Sharon area, which offers some impressive vistas of the land where the forest meets the Palouse of Washington. We managed to watch the sunset from here, then followed the continuation of the loop , using headlamps, through scrub brush back to the trailhead. This would be an ideal trail for trail running, and/or an alternate access to Rocks of Sharon that is closer to Spokane. For someone looking for a spectacular trail with significant ascent, this does not offer that. 3/5 stars