Humpback Mountain Trail

Humpback Mountain Trail is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

snowboarding

Steep trail straight up the ridge, some easy scrambling near the summit, great views of Lake Annette, Silver Peak, etc. at the top.

Tricky to find where the steep part of the actual trail starts .6 miles in. This was really steep, had lots of big rocks to maneuver over towards the top, & an amazing view at the very top. Going downhill was also challenging bc of how steep. Well worth it if you're in shape & can handle this one.

Short hike, but very steep. Definitely worth the climb though. The views at the top are incredible!! Rocky at the summit, so beware if bringing your pooch.

From the parking lot, there are two ways to start the hike. The south side is short and steep - straight up, like .8 miles. The trail starting on the north side of the parking lot - labeled Humpback loop - is great. It adds part of the Appalachian trail to the hike. Makes the ascent longer and less steep (maybe 3 miles). Then you can take the shorter way down.

Great hike but be physically prepared. Don't recommend to take a dog with you, too steep.

Very hard hike and requires a gps to insure you are on the trail. First you hike up a old logging road then the trail is on the right-hand side marked only with a ribbon (easy to miss). The trail is very steep all the way up the ridgeline. Once you get to the top it can be very rocky so I wouldn't recommend bring a dog. The trail looks like nothing more than a deer path and is not well marked. This trail I would only recommend to experts! Seriously, if you don't have experience with trails like this, don't try it. The view was great and a little unnerving if you don't like heights.

Very snowy give it 3 weeks and it's better, also go for the first outlet to your left it will save you time!

Nice little hike. Relatively untravelled for the area.

Great exercise

Second time doing this hike. This is a great hike if you need a quick workout and want to be back to the car by lunch time. So I did this one today (11/19/16). I was expecting an inch or two of snow at the top; well, there was nearly a foot. BEWARE OF SNOW. Anyone who attempts this hike from here one out I would highly recommend bringing traction. The rock slides towards the top are covered in snow and are dangerous and waiting to twist someones ankle. The last third of this hike is beautiful and rewarding!

Nice day trip for a few hours! Beautiful fall foliage. Awesome views from the rock. Well worth the hike.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

According to the WA trails association this hike at its highest peak is 5174 ft in elevation gain. It started off so mild for about a mile on a railroad grade path. The trail that takes you to the peak comes out of no where and is easily passable. I tied a little pink trail marker off to the right as soon as you come to a second clearing. If you continue straight (east) and miss it you'll know because a bunch of pine trees are down and the trail becomes narrow and messy. The trail itself is basically just straight up with no end in site. You'll pass by 5 or 6 scrambles but keep going. You'll know you're at the top because it's just rock and no trees with a beautiful panoramic view. Dogs are acceptable on this trail ONLY if they are good off leash. The ground is a bit wet so careful of sliding!!!!

Sunday, June 12, 2016

This trail is a beast. I used it as a training climb for a pending climb of Mt Adams and spent yesterday in the rain with about 40 pounds on my back. I think I'd rate it higher in stars if I could have seen the surroundings; most of what I saw were trees and clouds. The first mile or so is gentle railroad grade. You will come to an open area where the trail arcs east. Don't make the mistake I made when I kept hiking east. Instead look for the steep narrow trail ascending a spur. The next 1.5 miles or so is a relentless climb covering about 2000 feet of ascent. You reach a relatively flat ridge then alternate climbing over granite boulders and trail to the summit. I stopped about fifty feet short. The rest of the ascent was over snow covered boulders and I was climbing alone so I decided to avoid a possible fall. The descent is tough. I fell four times when the terrain was slit and steep. If you want a decent workout this is a great trail. I saw no one else on the trail. Have to try it on a better day to see if the views are inspiring.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

05/30/2016 - Memorial Day - I think it's safe to say that most people who hike were out today. I passed several trailheads on the way here and they were packed with cars. That's one reason I chose this lesser-known trail that is a little harder to reach. I only saw four people on the trail. Heaven. The first section of the hike is a steady incline on an old logging road. Look for the small cairn and the trail heading up the ridge. There is no sign. Once you begin the climb it does not stop. It reminded me of the old Mailbox Peak or Mount Teneriffe in difficulty. This is not an easy trail. The top has great views to the NE. Silver Peak and Annette Lake are right in front of you with peak-a-boo views of Mount Rainier through the trees. 2 hours up. One hour down.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016