Hummocks Trail

Hummocks Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Toutle, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November.

Big parking lot....

This was my first time here and I did the trail clockwise, starting at the southern entrance near the signage, and wish I had gone the other way! I still had a lovely time but felt my views would have been better going counter clockwise.

Either way - lovely hike, excellent views and well maintained trail. A little muddy in spots and some bigger branches but all easy to get around.

I started at 6AM and it was very windy in some of the more exposed spots of the trail. Was the only car in the lot when I began and there were four others by the time I finished around 730.

Moderately easy hike with gradual elevation gain, great views of crater/blast-zone, in an other-worldly setting. the lack of trees and piles of rock and ash resemble the surface of the moon. very cool for a day hike. trail is in great condition.

Enjoyable scenic hike.

Beautiful views of the snow covered mountains, on this clear April day (last time we came, it was overcast). Nice trail for our group, ranging 10yr - early 60’s. We saw some beaver, water fowl, other birds and a few other hikers. There are restrooms not too far from the trail head. Good way to spend Earth Day :)

Awesome hike! Did this two days ago and loved how it gave total views of Mt. St. Helens, the blast zone, and the forrest. Lots of trails are still closed, and the overlook doesn’t open until May 16th, so check in with the visitor center to see which trails will be open for you to use.

Beautiful hike with great views of St. Helens. I went in mid March and there was still snow in some places.

Hiked this today with my wife, my 9 year old daughter, and my 7 year old son. It was a fantastic trail with amazing views. The loop had a perfect mix of trail covered with trees and openings with scattered rocks and mounds. Saw quite a few hikers on the loop. Clean trail, but we did pick up a plastic bag and a water bottle. Plenty of poison oak so watch out.

A great small trail, especially for beginners. I took my family who doesn't hike!

Amazing views of Helens, well maintained trail and great for families.

good balance of shade and sun throughout the hike. beautiful wild flowers and scenic views. fairly easy trail but not boring at all. good for kids.

I really liked this trail, I loved the openess of it, and the beautiful flowers.

Fun and interesting. Beautiful vegetation and wildflowers!

Pretty hike. Rey moderate. A little wet in places still but navigable. No dogs.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Well maintained with nice views of the mountain and educational stops. Many small ponds and water foul present. My 10 year old could hike this trail easily.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

short but sweet loop with good views of the mountain and lots of wildlife in the morning

Saturday, September 03, 2016

This is a beautiful loop. Due to Helen's eruption in 1980, you can still see the damage/change done to the area; this makes for an ever-changing hike.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

good loop on the original mt st helens summit.. well where it ended up after the eruption. ..

Monday, May 30, 2016

great for the kids

Sunday, March 27, 2016

gorgeous hike! parts of the trail were flooded but easily traversed none the less.

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Easy hike with great views of Mt St. Helens!

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Nice hike. Great views.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Hiked this trail yesterday with mu Daughter and Grandson and it was a beautiful clear day and you could see everything perfectly. I seen a few bugs and snakes running around but I was hoping to see atleast one of the big hurds of Elk but seen none. it is nice to see the area recovering from the blast but it sure is a long time coming. A great day with family!

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Easy hike! The view at the end was beautiful of the mountain. You're right up next to it!

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Perfect little trail for hiking with the 5-year-old. Some nice views of the mountain and river, a good trail to see how the vegetation is recovering and show little ones how important water is to the recovery. We saw a snake, several types of birds and a number of insects, plus signs from other animal residents.

Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Nice trail with great access. Very nice views and some great locations to stop for a picnic.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Hiked this a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

On a clear day, this trail has spectacular views of Mt. St. Helens and all the surrounding peaks. The Hummocks were really interesting, and huge. It's so difficult to imagine them being thrown nearly 10 miles from the crater of Mt. St. Helens. it was very hot the day we hiked this so we only did about a mile but I would love to complete the whole trail at another time.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Lovely hike, slight elevation gain - beautiful view of Mt. Saint Helens.

Monday, January 03, 2011

Nice sort day hike, good trail,not much up and down and some great views.....