Hole-in-the-Wall Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(216)
Olympic National Park

Hole-in-the-Wall Trail is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Forks, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 383 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

From Rialto Beach: 1.5 mile hike to arch and tidepools at Hole-in-the-Wall. One of the best beaches in Washington per Frommers is Rialto Beach. Just north of LaPush, Rialto Beach is at southern end of a 29-mile long stretch of wilderness beach. Mora Rd. runs to parking lot just above Rialto Beach and is a good starting point for hikes. From huge sun bleached logs to tidepools teaming with starfish, to haystack rocks, to huge rounded pebbles along the route to the Hole-in-the-Wall, this stroll is awesome! Most people walk 1 mile up beach to Hole in Wall during low tide, (1.5 miles north of parking lot) which is huge monolith that waves have bored tunnel thru. Don't miss 2nd and 3rd beaches south of La Push too - great photo ops.

Nice beach trail. Parts are a slog to walk through due to soft sand but well worth it for the view.

This was a bucket-list place in my books, and I was determined to get there. Will say that 1.5 miles one way on a beach can feel like a lot. I would plan time out very well with this beach trip so that you can get all the benefits. There’s tons of cool rocks, photo worthy driftwood, tide pools, sea stacks. We couldn’t have done it without the guidance of tide charts. You can easily be stranded if you don’t pay attention. I would plan on 1.5 miles there taking a bit longer because of the rocks and sand (and photo taking). Make sure to account that time, for example, arrive a half hour prior to low tide instead of right at low tide. We saw more starfish in the tide pools just before hole in the wall rock. The ones by hole in the wall were bigger but didn’t have much in them. There was also a pretty big crossing you had to get on driftwood to walk across. Was surprised to see there wasn’t a more permanent structure built but the logs just add to the experience! Would agree with others, unless you are carrying your kids and in great shape, this may not be a hike to do with little ones.

Check the tides before you go and be prepared to traverse over logs and a steep descent/ascent once you get about 1.5 miles in. Would not recommend to those with young children or those not in good shape due to the challenging climb up/down

great beach hike, just mind the tides so you don't get stranded.

Things get tricky if there's high tide.

it was a rough day for this hike, cold and rainy. On a nice day it would be a nice stroll down the beach and I'd definitely recommend it.

This was an underrated hike for sure! It’s rugged beauty puts it at the top of my list so far of the hikes I’ve done in Olympic. It’s a pretty easy hike with a few scrambles over driftwood, but the reward when you see the hole in the wall is great. I loved having the ocean on one side and the forest on the other - very unique.

we started at low tide and ended at night tide. it was definitely easier during low tide, at high tide you are climbing over a lot of logs. we had a great time and will be coming back!

From the lot where toilets are, the beach trail begins. Be prepared for climbing over the drift trees. There were brown pelicans catching right off the beach. Nice picnic area for lunch after hike.

This is a great walk along the beach, definitely not a hike. This would be a great walk for older kids who don’t mind taking awhile to reach the destination and you have to time it with low tide in order to get to Hole in the wall.

This trail is unique in the fact that you choose your own path on the beach and the footing is not always easy. I loved the huge trees that have washed up on the beach and you have to navigate around them at times. It is a little deceiving on the time it takes to get there. I’m glad I did it, but not necessarily one I would do again. Carry a poncho or a windbreaker depending on the weather.

Great beach hike. Very hard to walk on.

This walk doesnt look as long as it is from the parking lot. The hole in the wall seems close but it is in fact a 6km walk there and back. Absolutely stunning place to be!!! Eagles and pelicans danced for us while we checked out the hole and the tide pools. Can't wait to go back!

beautiful walk with a worthwhile endpoint.

Hiked 08/22/2019. Good shoes will make this hike easier. Walking along the beach maybe easier if you're okay getting wet but watch out for the tides. Nice stroll along the beach with some scrambling needed in some parts.

Great hike very scenic, I saw a bald eagle, starfish and Sea Anemones when the tide was out. I’d recommend this hike very cool!

This was a really lovely walk on the beach. The distance and terrain is perfect for kids. Once you get to the hole in the wall, the rocks are a little bit slippery, so be careful. I would definitely think of this as a “Beachwalk“ then a “Hike”

Beautiful and casual.

recorded Rialto Beach Trail

we came at low tide and got a chance to explore all the tide pools. kids loved it and the weather was beautiful. go early to get parking. it gets very busy.

This is our 4th year coming to la push for a camping trip and we do a different hike each year with the kids. I gave this hike 3 stars because it is really just a mile and a half walk on the beach (each way) and there are lots of beautiful beaches on the area. The hole in the wall was very cool and my kids ages 4, 6, and 9 had a great time finding hermit crabs, salamanders, and green sea urchins. As the sun was setting, it almost looked other worldly. So...if you are looking for an interesting spot to look at low tide sea life and love beach walks, this is for you. If you want a more interesting hike that goes through the Forrest and ends in a just as interesting beach filled with haystacks, do the hike at Second Beach.

One of the best beaches to see the sun set. Also a good spot for photos. Remember to check out the tide pools. I wish we had camped here for the night

We had a great time doing this hike. It's a nice walk on the beach to some really cool rocks. There are several logs and rocks to go explore as side quests along the way. To the side of the hole, there is a large rock that we enjoyed bouldering on for some awesome views. Take your time exploring! Look in the little pools of water for some wildlife like fish, snails, and crabs.

Do this hike, but go early for parking and to avoid the masses. Follow the path through the parking lot and turn right, down the beach. Keep going to the end! We saw Bald Eagles and went at low tide to explore the 'hole' and the tide pools. See this video of our hike, the birds, and the pools - https://youtu.be/0Z3aWe8f1hI

It’s an easy and leisurely walk! Very peaceful along the beach. Just make sure you check the tide charts before you go, otherwise you can’t see the hole-in-the-wall. When I went it was quite early in the morning and the weather was pretty gloomy and foggy. But don’t be discouraged if you don’t see any blue skies! The fog actually lends a nice air of mystery to the area. I think it’s an enjoyable hike regardless of the weather!

Hard to walk Hate sand in my feet