Holder Ridge Trail

Holder Ridge Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Issaquah, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Trail begins across the forest road from the parking lot. Easy hike shared with horses and bikes with a few views along the way. Fairly well maintained but some muddy spots.

The signage was a little misleading. We ended up on the Holder creek trail I think, which we do not recommend. You can hear the highway during the hike. If you stay on it long enough you end up on the side of the highway. The creek is nice though. And the trail is wide enough for two people at times.

Can see Mt. Rainer at times, but there wasn't a really amazing view. Nice quick hike. Lots of horses, which was neat.

Quit complaining about horse poop. The horsemen have kept this as well as other Taylor mtn trails open. Also, it is Niro a dog leash trail. I’ve been to meetings about this. Almost too bad they improved the parking. It has way more traffic than it used to.

Nice easy hike, plenty of parking space and not very crowded trail.

rock climbing

Had a good time with old man Benjamin today. Great day for a walk in the woods.

This trail is a nice flowing trail run, zero view at the top. Chirico parking lot was full so here I was

we've never seen another person on the trail, very quiet. lots of horse poop. not bad though for a easy hike.

This is a great trail. Lots of horses on this so yes lots of poop. lovely pinic area ontop and place for the horses too.

It's hard to enjoy this hike when one has to repeatedly sidestep heaps and heaps of horse droppings scattered throughout this dusty trail.

Quiet, well marked trails.

It was a beautiful day and the trail was dry, certainly a steady upward climb for the first half of the trail, but nothing terribly steep. Momentary views of Mt. Rainier towards the top. Decent trail, just wish more of the side paths had better signage, had to keep checking the app.

scenic driving

Horse poop. As long as Chester doesn't eat it or roll in it I'm ok with it

surfing
Monday, March 13, 2017

Another doggy day. Did run into a town clown but after a mile all good

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Went up after fresh heavy snow. Couple of trees down over the trail but manageable.

Monday, January 09, 2017

too cold to cross the creek so we went back over the bridge towards the Y and headed parrell with the service road. hit a T in the road and went left to the top looped back around and came down service road when we got to the top 5mile trip ! perfect weather conditions today , horse poop but it was frozen.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

nice close day hike

Monday, September 05, 2016

Not a bad hike once you get into the woods. Too much time on roads for our taste.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Nice clear trail, good markings. Steady hike.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Good hike for beginners,instead of looping around and taking Road A, we went up and took road A to Road K, then down holder creek trail. Maps are available in the parking lot. Basically alone the whole hike. All the trails were well maintained besides holder creek trail. Holder creek trail hasn't been used in a while and it requires you to cross the creek (which is quiet wide). Still a fun hike for all skill levels and many wildflowers.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Easy hike overall, I would recommend to anyone who is looking to get themselves and/or their family some fresh air outside. The ridge got muddy when it rained but the trail is mostly shaded by the tree canopies. Limited views of surrounding areas. There was plenty of signs to guide us through all the different forks. My group saw lots of varying wild flowers, snails, and slugs. Not crowded for a weekend so it was nice and quiet for the most part. I could easily do this hike again with friends!

Sunday, September 13, 2015

I would rate this trail moderate. It has an almost steady although mostly mild incline all the way to the top. It was beautiful walking in the woods but not a great view at the top due to foliage. We went with my 6 year old and 3 year old and it was definitely too much for the three year old. He was carried 3/4 of the way. Also if you don't like snakes this is not the hike for you. We saw several garter snakes. Also wear shoes you don't mind getting horse poop on as this is also an equestrian trail. Over all though it was a good hike.

scenic driving
Friday, July 17, 2015

This is a nice easy hike. There's a parking lot that fits about 20 cars I'd say. It starts out with a trail leading through the woods, it eventually splits so that you can either go to a little river / creek, or you can start heading up the mountain. It took me, my little brother & my dog about 30 minutes to get up the mountain. Once at the top, there's a picnic table & a beautiful view of Mt. Rainier (on a sunny day). Recommend for beginners or someone just wanting to do a simple hike with a good view.

Monday, June 29, 2015

Went with a group of ladies and the day was very hot, 91 degrees. We thought the trail was not marked clearly and so was not able to determine where the Taylor Mountain hike turned into Holden Ridge. There were many cross-trail junctures, but no signage as to which trail was which. We eventually found a forestry road that lead use back to the parking lot. Also, there were horses and trail was very narrow causing a bit of an issue finding a wide enough spot to get off the trail to let the horses pass.

Monday, June 08, 2015

Solid quick hike.

Gorgeous weather, the path is laden with colorful flora with a healthy climb.

I almost missed the overlook at the top!! There is a small path off the primary at the peak of Holder Ridge, shown as a sort of "L" on the map here. Be sure to look for it for a nice little covered area, you'll know you've found it when you see a couple hitching posts and a picnic table.

Some considerations:

- Consider pants, my shins are pretty well scraped up from the branches and plants coming over the path. Gorgeous, but itchy.

- It's pretty clear that horses frequent this trail... By the smell at times. Not overwhelming, but omnipresent.

Overall a great hike, I went up through the woods and back down the gentle slope of the gravel road, extremely pleasant and quick.

Friday, June 06, 2014

I did not do the Holder trail as others seem to have done. Instead, I started at an unmarked trailhead that is just across the highway from the East Tiger Mountain trailhead. From there, you can make it to the Taylor mountain peak by way of old logging roads. I want to keep this positive, but honestly this road walk was one of the least remarkable hikes I've taken in a long time. To top it off, there was no view at the top.

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Easy hike to the ridge; not much to see except a few breaks in the trees of some nice fall color. Quite a few riders use this trail so frequent horse droppings to side step. Very peaceful due to light travel.

Sunday, July 08, 2012

Rode Holder Ridge, Beaver Pond Trail, Boot Trail, Sherwood trail, and route to the top of Taylor Mountain with fabulous views of the Olympics, Cascades, Mt Si, and many surrounding vistas. Riding my trusty horse. Holder Creek trail is closed for future logging. BOO HOO.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Went yesterday. Easy to find the trailhead and the 10 minutes of the trail that I actually got to do we're nice. Beautiful views of Rainier just 15 minutes up from the trailhead at an offshoot from the main trail where there was a lone picnic table in a clearing. A hiking companion cut the trip short though due to a deathly fear of snakes. And there were a lot of them. Little garter snakes who were minding their own business, scurrying away from us were at every turn!

I will come back someday with my two boys again, but without snake fearing hiking companions.

I can only imagine how good the views are from the top of the hill. King county has a very nice topo map of the trail on their website.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Me and my 7 & 3 yr old did Holder Ridge. Great short hike for the kids not to bad of an incline. Amazing views and the kids loved seeing horses on the trail. Definately will do it again.