Hoh River Trail

Hoh River Trail is a 32.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Forks, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 32.8 miles Elevation Gain: 5,114 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The Hoh River Trail is located in the Pacific Northwest's Olympic National Park and leads to the Mount Olympus Blue Glacier. The Olympic Peninsula is the wettest region in the lower 48 states and the area is known for its spectacular temperate rainforest, subalpine meadows and montane forest. The Hoh River Trail is well-maintained and flat for a good majority of the hike but ascends quickly from the Hoh River up to Glacier Meadow. There is one river crossing and a few small stream crossings along the way. For those interested in camping there are numerous spots along the route. For more information on camping and permits and to connect with the Ranger Station please visit: https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/hoh-river-trail.htm

The trail was fun to trail run.....until I tripped and fell.... LOTS OF EXPOSED ROOTS ON THIS TRAIL, wear your best hiking, supportive shoes, although easy because it's mostly flat, the exposed roots make it challenging to traverse without twisting an ankle, and even more treacherous if your trying to trail run. Saw an Elk on the trail, and went on a sunny Oct day so trail was not super muddy. It really is a peaceful place when you get away from the crowds further in to the forest. The trees are huge and so ethereal and magical. Best enjoyed as more of a calm stroll then workout type trail run/hike, to really enjoy the peacefulness of the forest. Happy Hiking Everyone!

We did the whole trail to the glacier and back in 2 days. Beautiful hike rewarded by a spectacular view of the lower glaciers of Mt. Olympus. The first half of the trail is easy. It gets steeper and muddier past Olympus camp site. The last 3 miles require some experience and focus. The ladder to climb on a washed out section of the trail on steep and rocky terrain looks scarier than it actually is. There is some very minor scrambling at the end.

Didn’t do the whole thing.

Unique, magical, amazing. This was pretty easy the 10 miles up we went, and a joy. Our isolated campsite along the way was A++++ There was lots of mud and it rained plenty (it’s a rainforest!) so be prepared.

Very pretty, quiet, temperate rainforest trail. The contrast between fall foliage and ferns/mosses/evergreens was lovely. Though we heard reports of bears, nobody we talked to had actually seen any. In fact, I've never been on a hike with so little wildlife evident. Not a single critter was visible or hearable over our entire 3 days other than a few insects. In the 9 miles each way that we completed, there were no sweeping vistas, but very peaceful, lovely forest, moderately trafficked (heavier traffic up to 5-mile), with occasional river and peak views through the trees, and a few small streams and waterfalls. Coming from a more arid, rugged climate, we appreciated the rainforest we were walking through, and it's hushed, subdued beauty. Wish we had gone further with full packs. We stayed at 5-mile campsites 2 nights because we had received reports of "too muddy" trails ahead. Unfortunately, "too muddy" is a matter of opinion, and we wish we had pushed further with full packs as originally planned. Intended to camp at ranger platform at 9 miles first night, and Elk Lake second night, but stopped at 5-mile for 2 nights instead. We dayhiked from 5-mile to ranger platform, but never got to Elk Lake due to starting late, thinking trail would be too muddy to get that far. Wish we had gone further. On the bright side, the trail is easy and relaxing for the 9.1 mile stretch each way that we completed (though not completely "flat", as there area few slight climbs which are only noticeable with full backpacks). 5-mile campsites are a bit cramped together, but pleasant. Bear wire is very helpful. The camping area is pretty, but not spectacular. Happy 4 didn't look any better, though we didn't explore it beyond stepping into shelter to put on raincoats. If we go again, we will push on to the campsites near the ranger cabin at 9.1 miles in, which was a much prettier area.

Beautiful scenery along the river but dangerously muddy in a lot of places. Bring trekking poles and gaiters.

One of the best hikes around Olympic. Go as far as you want. The first 5 miles are very easy and lots to see. We turned around at 5 mile island.

3 days, 2 night backpacking trip in late August - camped 2 nights at Lewis Meadow. Day 1: The hike through the thick, bright green, Moss-covered, quiet forest was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. It was nice to not have to ascend at all with my pack. At Lewis Meadow, I followed the sign to the river and camped out on the sand in what used to have part of the river running through it so that I could have a clear view of the mountains, softer ground, and be closer to the river. There were about 4 tents along the old river bank and only one other tent out on the sand with me. It was nice to have other people in the vicinity but not too close. Day 2: Day-hike was brutal but worth the reward. The wooden ladder where the trail is washed out wasn’t as scary as it looks and was worth the effort to get all the way to the end. Past the ranger station, you have the option of taking 2 primitive trails. I took the one to the left to get a view above the glacier and the views along this last ~1 mile we’re my favorite of the trek. Day 3: I’ll be honest, 10 miles back with more of the same beautiful forest was harder to appreciate when I was in so much pain from the previous 2 days, but I don’t regret it one bit.

My wife and I hiked the trail last June on a perfect cloudlessly day! Just a few other hikers on the fist few miles, 15 miles out and back. Mother bear and two cubs up in trees throwing bark at us!

Trail itself was pretty flat and non-challenging, but the surroundings made up for it! Gigantic trees covered in moss and dense ground cover everywhere. Tom’s Creek pours over the top of an escarpment and creates a beautiful waterfall. We found a good place for lunch next to it. Not an iconic joke by any means, but one you should include on a visit to the Olympic Penninsula, if for no other reason it is the only true rainforest in the U.S.

I didn't do the whole thing, but did a good portion. Was extremely disappointed. Lackluster views and more just a monotonous walk with a couple interesting parts. I would definitely not drive all the way up there to do it again.

We went to the 5 mile point and back. It was a nice hike, but the views didn't really change after around 3 miles in. It's a gorgeous place, but I wish we explored the Moss Forest more instead.

Good hike for aggressive kiddos - 4yo and 7yo. Hiked to Mt Tom to see the falls and stopped around 1.8mi to the river front for lunch.

This was our family’s longest day hike at just over ten miles. We hiked up to the 5 mi island and back. My kids are 9, 11, and 14. It was a great experience, and a beautifully shaded and scenic hike.

Hiked in and camped at Lewis Meadows (10.5 miles). Stayed a night and hiked out. I agree with the reviews that say this is easy before the severe elevation gain, except for the distance. Really you could do any round trip that you wanted without too much challenge. There are lots of interesting view points along the way including a waterfall (near the 2.9 mark), views of the Hoh, and nice forest areas. It's truly lovely. Being an East Coaster. Humidity and temperature is almost nothing for August, as are mosquitos. Will say biting flies were annoying on breaks. This has made my come back list to do Glacier Meadows.

The 10 miles to the ranger station is very easy. The 5.3 miles up the hog lake trail is brutal steep and up never ends. There were a few blow downs but currently 1 miles up the trail there are yellow jackets in the ground and they are destroying all passerby’s. Views were lacking as it was all in the clouds and it was wet

pretty trail little to crowded for our taste we only went to 5mile camp. we saw 3 deer one of which almost came right to us would do again once we have camping gear - bridge&knuckles ✌

great!

Loved it!!! We made it Elk Lake and if you veer off the trail about 40-50 feet in toward the lake; the view is magnificent. The greenery and overgrowth of the plants/trees before ascending to Elk Lake/Blue Glacier (around mile 12) is something out of this world. I would say the first 12 miles or so is welcoming to all ages/levels. Highly recommend.

Beautifully maintained trail! Gorgeous view of the grey-blue glacial waters of the Hoh River. We decided to trek to 5 mile island only and forgo the glaciers this run. Saw a black bear in a tree scratching his back and a Roosevelt Elk family. It was a very easy 10 mile trek without many elevation gains. Arrive EARLY!!! If you don’t you will be stuck with a tourist crowd bottlenecking the trailhead upon departure. We got to the trailhead at 7am on a weekday and no one else was in the parking lot except rangers and a few die-hards! Enjoy!

I did about five miles of this trail before turning back. It’s mostly backpackers on the trail. I mainly did the trail to find the “quietest spot on earth” (google it). I couldn’t find the marker stone so it might not be there anymore but I did find the quiet area around 3.2 miles in. It was quiet. All I could hear was nature, no human-made sounds (airplanes, cars, etc).

Amazingly beautiful easy hike on a sunny day. Feeling the love of nature

We camped for 2 nights and hiked all the way to blue glacier. One of the best hike I have ever had. We camped two nights at Lewis Meadow. There are several stream crossing, some washout close to the rope ladder, some loose step on the rope ladder, and patches of snow after glacier meadow on the way to blue glacier. Generally they are all manageable but cautions are definitely needed. One thing that is worth noting is AllTrails distance of 16.2 mile one way is definitely not accurate. My Giai gps app logged 20 miles one way. The distance from trail head to Glacier Meadow is 17.3 mile, but Glacier meadow is just a campsite where you didn’t see blue glacier at all. From there there is an extra 1.3 mile of steep uphill (including snowfield traversing) to a ridge where you can enjoy all the glory of Mt Olympus and blue glacier. So from Lewis Meadow to Blue Glacier for a day hike is roughly 20miles/day round trip. It is a very long day for us. Please plan accordingly.