Hoh River Trail

Hoh River Trail is a 32.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Forks, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until October.

The Hoh River Trail is located in the Pacific Northwest's Olympic National Park and leads to the Mount Olympus Blue Glacier. The Olympic Peninsula is the wettest region in the lower 48 states and the area is known for its spectacular temperate rainforest, subalpine meadows and montane forest. The Hoh River Trail is well-maintained and flat for a good majority of the hike but ascends quickly from the Hoh River up to Glacier Meadow. There is one river crossing and a few small stream crossings along the way. For those interested in camping there are numerous spots along the route. For more information on camping and permits and to connect with the Ranger Station please visit: https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/hoh-river-trail.htm

looks like it dropped right out of a book. amazing place!!!

Pretty. The drive up was very scenic. The fresh blue water of the river was very relaxing to sit by. I even got enough courage to soak my feet in it. Very refreshing!

I hiked up 2 miles to Tom Creek where I was greeted by a picturesque waterfall. The trail was beautiful and shaded with a gentle climb.

I’ve only hiked a portion of this trail but this forest needs to be seen to be believed. So much natural beauty. I hope to go back someday to see more.

I did 20 miles of this trail last summer. It was rugged terrain with elevation and many challenges for a first time hiker. The scenery was breathtaking. We woke up one morning at dawn to a deer grazing 5ft from our tent. One she left, we were visited by a coyote. I'm hoping to go back so that we can hike the glacier.

Lovely mix of terrain. Mostly flat trail hugging the river. Great views. Mossy trees. Alleged black bear sightings, which we luckily avoided.

Gorgeous, unique, enjoyable hike! Not too much elevation change. Left from the HOH visitor center and hiked three miles to the waterfall and back. Gorgeous views of Olympic and the hoh river with its unique color. Recommended!!!

You have come this far . . Then ya gotta do a rain forest hike . . You can do a little or a lot . . we went to 5 mile camp for a 10 mile day . .mostly flat . . Perfect “rain forest” trail.

I enjoyed this one! I made it to the bridge with the waterfall and turned back so a total of 5.8 miles round trip. Very scenic and magical.

Hiked to 5 mile island a very easy 10 mile out and back. Super populated trail that leads all the way to Mt Olympus.

We hiked only to the first stop, Tim Creek. Which is actually a gorgeous waterfall! Not too bad, a few up hill sections, but has ‘stairs’ built in to help. Would love to go farther some time, but had a two year old in tow. Definitely a beautiful scene!

The area is beautiful but we didn't actually go on this hike. This app didn't take us to the correct trailhead. The end near the 101 isn't the start as the All Trails app suggests. We would have had to cross all those signs saying "Private Property" and "No Trespassing" to get to the trail. You actually need to drive to the other end of Upper Hoh Road and go into the national park to reach the trailhead. By the time we found it, we didn't have time for the long hike. Instead we did the Hall of Moss hike that was right there as well, but much shorter. It was beautiful.

Great short hike. Saw three elk and enjoyed the surroundings.

My friend and I roughed it all the way up to Elk Lake in the early Spring, but decided to turn back once we got up past our knees in snow. Parts of the trail were underwater, but we were prepared for that. Its just the snow we were not prepared for. Beautiful trail though with lots of life.... and rain.

A wonderful forest hike along the bank of the Hoh River. Parts of the trail are muddy. There is a beautiful little waterfall along the way. There are several camp sites; you register at the Hoh Rainforest Visitor Center but you do not reserve camp spots, except for the farthest ones. Hoh Rainforest gets 14 feet of rain a year; the most in November and the least in July and August.

We checked this trail out after doing the Hall of Moss loop. We went about half way to Tom Creek Trail. It was pouring rain! Trail was very muddy so def need some good hiking shoes if you plan on going soon. This trail was nice you get more moss, big trees and a view of the river.

Awesome place to visit. The moss is literally covering almost all you see and the dense colors of green are incredible! Highly recommend visiting

Man, it was cold!! Stayed at Five Mile Island for a couple nights. Really loved this campsite- open space, outhouse available, didn't see bear ropes for food tho but could have missed it, right next to the river, lots of flat camping options. Ran into a herd of about 30 Elk. Attempted to continue on the trail but the snow became more dense - highly encourage micro spikes for this. Decided suffering through the cold (even though my sleeping bag is 20 degrees and I was wearing 4 layers) wasn't very fun. Will definitely attempt to reach the glacier at another time.

Due to time constraints, we only hiked the first four miles to the Grover of Large Cedar. Loved this hike, and intend to return to hike the full trail!

We hiked the entire trail to Glacier Meadows, and then up to Blue Glacier (twice). This is by far the most stunning and otherworldly place I've ever been. It was hard at points, but nonetheless rewarding.

Only did part of the trail, and then followed the river for fishing.

Only completed a portion of this trail coming off the High Divide to spend the day down at the lake. The fairly steep climb down and back up was well worth the diversion from the initial plans.

We walked the Hall of Mosses trail then hiked down the Hoh River trail to the falls. I felt like I was in one of the worlds from the old computer game Myst! Just beautiful!

ancient trees and giant plants and bear sightings. a lovely cascading brook /waterfall. fairly flat, dusty highly used trail. worth the 4 mile trek to the Ent giants.

Most amazing experience!

If you decide to backpack the whole way in one day, keep in mind that the last 2 miles of 15 are where all of the elevation come in... 2300+ft of elevation in 2 miles is tough and not for everyone. The views are outstanding and almost unreal. Definitely worth all of the blood, sweat, and tears.

Wish we could have made it all the way but after the switchbacks up to Elk Lake we were cashed out. For our first backcountry trip it wasn't bad, found out a lot of things we packed in we didn't need and learned the essence of packing light. we ate like kings though! lol we got in late and self registered and stayed at one of the first campgrounds and then the following day we hiked up to the Olympic Ranger Station and set up camp near the riverbed. firewood was plenty. if we were smarter about it we would have left camp set up there to make it up further without all the extra weight but lesson learned. 3rd night we stayed in Lewis meadows along the river. very nice hike. would love to try it again and make it all the way.

Hike/walked 6 miles out and back to Tom Creek Trail, which featured a waterfall. It was moderately trafficked but still felt spacious and serene. A few views of the river were pleasant surprises too!

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Did it to Olympus station, camped and went back the next day. The hike isn't that long but it was quite warm and humid. We saw a black bear and it's cup what was really nice and camping along the rover was great.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Truly an amazing Hike and Climb!!! The Blue Glacier on a full moon is unbelievable and Mount Olympus has been on my list for the last couple of years... it is incredible!!