Hoh River Trail

Hoh River Trail is a 32.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Forks, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

bridge out

old growth

The Hoh River Trail is located in the Pacific Northwest's Olympic National Park and leads to the Mount Olympus Blue Glacier. The Olympic Peninsula is the wettest region in the lower 48 states and the area is known for its spectacular temperate rainforest, subalpine meadows and montane forest. The Hoh River Trail is well-maintained and flat for a good majority of the hike but ascends quickly from the Hoh River up to Glacier Meadow. There is one river crossing and a few small stream crossings along the way. For those interested in camping there are numerous spots along the route. For more information on camping and permits and to connect with the Ranger Station please visit: https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/hoh-river-trail.htm

I enjoyed this one! I made it to the bridge with the waterfall and turned back so a total of 5.8 miles round trip. Very scenic and magical.

Hiked to 5 mile island a very easy 10 mile out and back. Super populated trail that leads all the way to Mt Olympus.

We hiked only to the first stop, Tim Creek. Which is actually a gorgeous waterfall! Not too bad, a few up hill sections, but has ‘stairs’ built in to help. Would love to go farther some time, but had a two year old in tow. Definitely a beautiful scene!

My friend and I roughed it all the way up to Elk Lake in the early Spring, but decided to turn back once we got up past our knees in snow. Parts of the trail were underwater, but we were prepared for that. Its just the snow we were not prepared for. Beautiful trail though with lots of life.... and rain.

A wonderful forest hike along the bank of the Hoh River. Parts of the trail are muddy. There is a beautiful little waterfall along the way. There are several camp sites; you register at the Hoh Rainforest Visitor Center but you do not reserve camp spots, except for the farthest ones. Hoh Rainforest gets 14 feet of rain a year; the most in November and the least in July and August.

We checked this trail out after doing the Hall of Moss loop. We went about half way to Tom Creek Trail. It was pouring rain! Trail was very muddy so def need some good hiking shoes if you plan on going soon. This trail was nice you get more moss, big trees and a view of the river.

Awesome place to visit. The moss is literally covering almost all you see and the dense colors of green are incredible! Highly recommend visiting

Man, it was cold!! Stayed at Five Mile Island for a couple nights. Really loved this campsite- open space, outhouse available, didn't see bear ropes for food tho but could have missed it, right next to the river, lots of flat camping options. Ran into a herd of about 30 Elk. Attempted to continue on the trail but the snow became more dense - highly encourage micro spikes for this. Decided suffering through the cold (even though my sleeping bag is 20 degrees and I was wearing 4 layers) wasn't very fun. Will definitely attempt to reach the glacier at another time.

Due to time constraints, we only hiked the first four miles to the Grover of Large Cedar. Loved this hike, and intend to return to hike the full trail!

We hiked the entire trail to Glacier Meadows, and then up to Blue Glacier (twice). This is by far the most stunning and otherworldly place I've ever been. It was hard at points, but nonetheless rewarding.

Only did part of the trail, and then followed the river for fishing.

Only completed a portion of this trail coming off the High Divide to spend the day down at the lake. The fairly steep climb down and back up was well worth the diversion from the initial plans.

We walked the Hall of Mosses trail then hiked down the Hoh River trail to the falls. I felt like I was in one of the worlds from the old computer game Myst! Just beautiful!

ancient trees and giant plants and bear sightings. a lovely cascading brook /waterfall. fairly flat, dusty highly used trail. worth the 4 mile trek to the Ent giants.

Most amazing experience!

If you decide to backpack the whole way in one day, keep in mind that the last 2 miles of 15 are where all of the elevation come in... 2300+ft of elevation in 2 miles is tough and not for everyone. The views are outstanding and almost unreal. Definitely worth all of the blood, sweat, and tears.

Wish we could have made it all the way but after the switchbacks up to Elk Lake we were cashed out. For our first backcountry trip it wasn't bad, found out a lot of things we packed in we didn't need and learned the essence of packing light. we ate like kings though! lol we got in late and self registered and stayed at one of the first campgrounds and then the following day we hiked up to the Olympic Ranger Station and set up camp near the riverbed. firewood was plenty. if we were smarter about it we would have left camp set up there to make it up further without all the extra weight but lesson learned. 3rd night we stayed in Lewis meadows along the river. very nice hike. would love to try it again and make it all the way.

Hike/walked 6 miles out and back to Tom Creek Trail, which featured a waterfall. It was moderately trafficked but still felt spacious and serene. A few views of the river were pleasant surprises too!

Did it to Olympus station, camped and went back the next day. The hike isn't that long but it was quite warm and humid. We saw a black bear and it's cup what was really nice and camping along the rover was great.

Truly an amazing Hike and Climb!!! The Blue Glacier on a full moon is unbelievable and Mount Olympus has been on my list for the last couple of years... it is incredible!!

Unless you're planning on hiking all 20+ miles of this thing, I'd recommend having a plan or goal landmark to reach before you take off. Elsewise you might feel yourself just kind of wandering aimlessly trying to arbitrarily decide when to turn around.

There's tons of beauty here and frequent access to the river. There's also multiple waterfalls as you near the three-mile mark. These may serve as a good turnaround point for many. However, any distance traveled here should be worthy and enjoyable. Great temperate rainforest environment with a steadily flat and easy pathway throughout.

great trail that is out and back. you have many destinations to chose from our just pick a distance and turn around. we went to the 3mi waterfall and bridge. it is equal up n down out and back. I love that compared to up out and down back trails. we did the mosses trail at .8mi and the 3mi out and 3mi back waterfall in about 2.5hrs. parking is packed afternoon in summer months!

Did the first 3 miles out and back. Nice day hike if you want to experience the rainforest.

Completed the HRT in three days with two friends. We dropped camp ~10.5 miles in the first day (Lewis Meadows on the gravel beds), day hiked to the final stretch above Glacier Meadows and back the second day, and hiked back out on the third day. I'd say the trail is closer to 36/37 miles. Camping by the gravel beds was more serene and it can get crowded. I suggest getting up early to give yourself enough time to get to the glacier if you plan on climbing to the top. Days were foggy in the morning but by the early afternoon visibility was incredible (completed early July). Bear canisters were not required at this location but we used them regardless. Ample water supply everywhere. Expect snow at the final stretch. The repelling section/ladder was somewhat treacherous from the loose rocks and debris but just move slow and you'll be fine. Days were long but it was completely worth it! Happy hiking!

Beautiful trail, the options for camping are awesome. True temperature rainforest, we enjoyed four days backpacking!

One of the best trails i'm ever been, easy to medium, beautiful views of the mountain and river, small parking lot, so better get there early, park rangers very nice, and eager to answer you any questions, spent two days on it. can't wait to go back

Did it to the 5 miles island. Great hike.

Was only able to get a few miles out on the trail due to time constraints. Plenty of moody NW weather and spooky moss and fern covered forest floors with looming trees. True temperate rainforest , beautiful area. Hope to return for more miles someday.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

We only hiked maybe 1.5 miles into the trail. It was defiantly beautiful but I feel like there are other hikes in this park that I would have liked to have done instead. Along the trail there are mini trails that take you out to the water. So if you do hike this trail I suggest doing that. We got to the parking lot of this trail at around 1 or 2 pm on a wednesday and it was packed. We were really lucky to have found parking. I feel that a lot of people did the hall of moss trail and the spruce trail more then this one. But there were still a ton of people.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

I hiked 3 miles in and turned around at the second waterfall. About half a mile after I turned around, I saw a black bear. It ignored me, and I scurried away. The trail is easy to follow, but kinda muddy. The views are spectacular and I am so glad I made the drive to do this trail. I started early and only saw a few folks on my way in. On my hike out, it was fairly busy.