Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Hog Lake Loop is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cheney, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 177 feet Route Type: Loop

Please note that it has been reported that boat access is currently closed due to COVID 19. You need a Discover Pass to park here. There is a parking area with a clearly marked trail head. Or, you can drive further to the boat launch where there is a bathroom. This is at the opposite end of the lake from the falls. There is a trail starting there that takes you along the lake to the falls. From there, you can jump on the loop trail or make an out and back returning to the boat launch. When the falls are dry, you can rock climb to the top of the canyon.

This hike is very serene. It's such an easy hike without any noticable elevation change. I expected ticks with everything I had read, but all 6 of us were clear upon checking after the end of the hike. I sprayed us down really well with essential oils to repel them and it seemed to have worked well. I would say this hike is quality jogging stroller friendly, you won't get away with anything less due to the uneven terrain, the suspension on a good jogger would make it okay though as long as your kiddo doesn't mind a bumpy ride. I personally almost always use my hiking carrier though and that is what I used on this hike. We had our 3 dogs with us and were able to allow them off leash for the majority of the hike, definitely not recommended if your dogs don't have good recall due to the high probability of encountering wildlife though. When we reached the lake the views were phenomenal! The waterfall is powerful enough that it can be heard through most of the trail if you just listen for it. We definitely plan to do this hike in the future and allow for extra time to do more off trail exploration because this is a hike that deserves it. Oh, also must mention that it wasn't busy. Only encountered 2 different small groups on the hike itself and then there were a few campers scattered about at the beginning/end of the trail.

This is my new favorite hike, it was easy, it was beautiful. I parked at the trail head shown on the map. The trail goes through a beautiful forest, then opens up along a little stream the descends down the hill with you. It is about this time you may glimpse your first view of the waterfall, far off and stunning. Much bigger in person than I could ever grasp from photos. The trail moves close to the falls then, you retrace part of the trail you just did until you come to the top of the hill, then go left for the return walk along the lake. If you hit the boat launch you have gone to far, but can just walk back up the road if that is the case. 1 garter snake in the rocks near the falls. The water falls seemingly goes under ground, you cannot see where it flows into the lake. Highly recommend! - leave no trace.

Easy trail, nice view of the lake and waterfall. Climbed down into the canyon area to enjoy the water...all I can say is huge mosquitos

Beautiful hike! Quiet and peaceful. Trail is wide and well-marked. We went down to the fence in front of the waterfall and back up which is the toughest part. If you stay up top, the hike is less than a mile and a half and easy for anyone.

Great easy trial for kids. Could also be good for biking. Good views of the lake-be careful of the cliffs. Also disappointing “No trespassing” signs keep you from getting close to the waterfall. Otherwise a beautiful area to hike. There were several people camping as well. Boat access closed due to Coronavirus social distancing. We saw two snakes near the base of the waterfall in the marshy area. One harmless Gardner snake and a Rattle snake. Both just slithered away. Also spiders, Red aunts, black ducks, and many birds. We saw the most beautiful blue bird! The green grass and flowers were beautiful in the spring! I recommend this hike, it was worth it to come from Spokane!

Beautiful day, trail is nice this time of year. great views!

this was a beautiful trail! lovely waterfall! not too hard and not too easy.

Overcast 45 degree day. Worth the trip out west of Spokane. Great hike for beginners and definitely bring your pup on a leash. Parking lot had more cars then expected. But people are spread out and take various other trails. First instinct is to stop at first parking lot you come too, however I would recommend keep driving to second parking area(boat launch). Bathroom is scary looking wouldn’t be surprised if there was a clown inside. No snow, mild temps in February and a nice waterfall made for a good day. Only drawback was the drones overhead making a ton of noise along with people shooting their guns. Definitely not peaceful on this day. Hope it was just an exception

Took our dogs (on a leash). Easy hike with nice views of the falls and lake. A bit chilly and windy but still worth the hike.

Great family snowshoe hike in the winter. Never saw any other hikers; had the entire trail to ourselves. Remember the hot chocolate!

This is a good off-season hike if you are passing through—not a destination hike. Summer will have snakes and ticks if those bother you, so hike it fall, winter, early spring. The falls. Will not always be flowing, so if that is what you want to see do some research before going. We enjoyed it as a fall hike that was only about 15 minutes off the freeway.

nothing to see except Desert, Ticks, and Rattle snakes

Sun May 26 2019

water falls nice

Fri May 10 2019

May 10, 2019 This is a great little trail! The waterfall is cool and the lake is beautiful. My wife and drove out from Spokane with our dog on a Friday. We didn’t see anybody else out there. The trail itself is very well marked, although when getting down to the waterfall there are many options. It’s not like you’re going to get lost though. The waterfall is indeed behind a broken down barbed wire fence that says “private property”, and my wife is a stickler for the rules so we didn’t go up to it. It does appear that the northeast side of the lake is private property, according to the map at the trailhead, which is a shame because we would have loved to explore the lakeside ridge over there. We didn’t see any ticks on us or our dog, although we did see one snake. Regarding the trail, it is a nice loop that takes you back to the car park. However, if you go clockwise, the last half is pretty uneventful, just through open fields, with the lake out of sight. And then the last quarter mile is along the gravel road that leads to the other end of the lake. So I would recommend either doing the loop counterclockwise, to leave the best parts for last (to do this, after you park continue along the road south a little less than a quarter of a mile, and pick up the trail through a silver gate on the left side of the road), or just walking to the waterfall and back the way you came. All in all though I’d recommend this hike. It’s worth the drive from Spokane if you like lakes, waterfalls, and the channeled scablands.

Mon Apr 29 2019

hard to find easy walk around. you can walk to the base, it's a beautiful view. It is an easy walk but worth the drive. dog friendly, very nice people helped me find my way when I got lost.

Sun Apr 14 2019

Great hike! The waterfall was lovely

Sat Apr 13 2019

Great hike featuring a waterfall, was a. it difficult, and steep at times but so worth it.

Fri Apr 05 2019

This was a decent trail. A little muddy in a couple of places, but it was a solid trail with a defined border of where the trail went. The waterfall was and is beautiful. I went in April and it was full of water. I saw a beaver and a snake.

Mon Dec 31 2018

We hiked this area. Easy and very beautiful. I’ve camped out here a dozen times. We never had any issues.

Mon Dec 24 2018

Nice easy hike, but the waterfall was dry. The lake was nice.

Fri Jun 29 2018

Nice easy trail with a nice view of the waterfall though the waterfall had no trespassing signs near it. Tons of ticks!

Sat Jun 16 2018

WOW! This is such an incredible place just half an hour from Spokane. My friend had sent me this list: 10 Enchanting Spots In Washington You Never Knew Existed. http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/washington/wa-enchanting/. Hog Canyon Falls is listed and happens to be the only one in Eastern Washington. It truly is a gem and I'm shocked that in ten years living here I'd never been here before. We drove right by the trailhead and ended up parking at a campsite near the boat launch which is on the opposite end of the lake from the falls. There's a bathroom there you can use. Then we started on the trail. There were some sections that involved a little rock climbing both up and down. My 9 year old nephew was with us and he did just fine. There were still wildflowers. We saw a snake and a badger! Gorgeous landscape and canyon. The trail along the lake has you walking high above the lake. Even from far away the falls were impressive. I would like to go back in April or even early May next year to see heavier water flow. But, we were able to walk right up the falls and then we rock climbed up all the tiers to the top of the waterfall. It was a blast! This is a must see in Eastern Washington.