Learn more

High Rock Lookout Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ashford, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and horses and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 3.1 mi Elevation gain 1,318 ft Route type Out & Back

Scramble

Snow

Description
Waypoints (0)

This is one of the best hikes/ views in Washington! It’s moderate with a steep incline when you are almost to the lookout. It’s pretty rocky so take your time, the view isn’t going anywhere and it’s well worth the incline! The trail can get covered in snow in the winter months, so please come prepared: poles, spikes, jacket, waterproof pants, hiking boots are highly recommended.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (721)
Photos (689)
Recordings (435)
Completed (1285)
Cristina Vaughan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 13 2020
HikingBugs

Perfect clear day to do this trail! Fairly crowded when we got to the parking lot at 2:00pm but everybody was coming down from the lookout. The trail was in excellent shape. The views up top were phenomenal. We could see Rainier, Adams, and St Helens. Everyone was respectful and maintained their distance. My little poodles made it up no problem. Leash laws are no joke here, a dog could very easily take a tumble off the cliff. I think this would be an excellent hike to take family from out of state, not too steep or long for a great reward.

View Cristina's Recording
Erin E.
Hiking

Absolutely amazing trail! Even the view from the parking is amazing. The trail was muddy in places, but not too bad. Bugs weren’t too bad. We went early and it wasn’t too busy. It got really busy towards noon when we were on our way back down.

Leslie Rincon
Hiking

Amazing lookout! Some bugs closer to the beginning of the trail, some mosquitoes. Very dog friendly, many dogs on the trail and it was manageable for my Aussie. Our view was somewhat cloudy but beautiful, will definitely return on a clear day

Kerenlei Mortiz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 12 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail, an amazing view in the end. It was a bit steep but doable for beginners and children. Many families with kids on the trail. It was encouraging to see them trek through! :)

Susan Horswill
Hiking

This is the second time I’ve done High Rock, and we were fortunate to have sunshine and a beautiful view. There were lots of people on the trail, but it was manageable. The directions on this site are written clearly, but we missed FR 84 the first time. Turned around and there was a sign pointing towards the road. When you take the 8440 at the fork, be sure to continue until you come to an actual parking lot. I highly recommend this hike.

Kate Denman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 12 2020
HikingBugsGreat!

The forest service road was a very pleasant drive with very few potholes. The trailhead where GPS lead us had a single post labeled trail number 252. This is NOT the trailhead to High Rock Lookout. From this point just drive a little bit further up the road and you will see cars, a single porta potty and a post that says 266. This is the High Rock Lookout Trailhead. I would guesstimate there were at least 25 cars in the parking area and along the road at 9:15am when we arrived. At the TH, take the left trail that has the 266 post. From here, the trail basically climbs all of the way to your end destination. I’m a larger girl and this one was a doozy for me. I had to take multiple breaks along the way to catch my breath. It made me feel better that most people were stopping periodically to take breathers. There were a lot of bugs In the wooded area, so beware. The lookout is on a rocky hillside/cliff. With good traction on your shoes, this part is relatively easy. My balance is absolutely horrible and I did just fine by going slow and taking my time. While we were at the lookout, it started to get pretty crowded. There is enough room up there (minus the lookout itself) to social distance and have a snack. We were there on a clear day and only MSH had minor cloud coverings. We spent almost an hour up there enjoying the views and chatting with other hikers (hi Carol and Susan.) By the time we were off the trail at 1:30pm, there were about 75+ cars parked in the parking area and along the road. There were many groups of people just starting the hike. I have never seen that many cars or people on a hike before. Granted, it was a Saturday and it was a clear day. Many people were respectful on the trail and moved as far to the side as possible and many wore masks as others were approaching, but, of course, not all. I’m glad we got there early (ish,) because that trail got bombarded later in the afternoon. This uphill hike had an amazing reward at the end, I definitely recommend it, but go early and go on a weekday if you can. Happy Trails!

Melissa Hasley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 11 2020
Hiking

If this is a ‘moderate’ hike I don’t wanna do a ‘hard’. Hiked around midday, a lot of people but not crowded. The peak is definitely worth the hike though...

Sean .
View Sean 's Recording
William Robertson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 11 2020
HikingMuddy

Albeit short, don’t let this hike fool you. It’s a good climb the whole way up, but the views are incredible. I did a night hike to see the NEOWISE comet. Wow! What an amazing experience.

Andreina Espinoza
Hiking

The trail is in perfect conditions!! Amazing view. The best hike!!

View Andreina's Recording
Henna Jaisinghani
HikingBugsMuddy

Started at 1pm today. Wasnt very crowded. Trail is a bit muddy and there are a lot of bugs so you might want to wear bug repellent. The trail is steep so make sure to wear hiking boots! The view is absolutely insane and totally worth it.

Kollyn Kaiser
HikingMuddy

So rewarding! On a clear day you can see rainier, Adams, and Helen! Lots of people so get to trail early. Pretty muddy on 7/10

Frank Peng
HikingBlowdownMuddy
View Frank's Recording
Valentina Apostol-Maughan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 10 2020
Hiking

Did a sunrise hike up. Started around 4 am, made it to the top around 5 am. Hung out at the lookout for about 2 hours hoping the fog would lift, unfortunately it didn’t :( but I’m hoping to make it back soon to see the views. Heard it’s amazing. Trail was clear, muddy in some areas. Beautiful wildflowers :) #BOC

Nikki Leitzke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 09 2020
HikingMuddyScramble

Super rad hike! Started at 8am, took about an hour up. Trail was a bit muddy in spots but nothing normal sneaks couldn’t handle. Fog coverage was thick at the top. Hung around an hour or so and I’d didn’t clear. I think another 30 mins and it would have been better! Trail was getting busy on our way down. Fog was cool, but intend to come back for mtn views!

Maverick Harper
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 08 2020
Hiking

Dope without clouds, plan accordingly

View Maverick's Recording
Audra Hamilton

My sister and I did this hike on 7/5/20. It was my second time and just as beautiful as I remembered. Rainier was partially covered by clouds, but still worth it! The trail was busy, but everyone was friendly and courteous. GPS is a little confusing for those who've never been. You have to drive up the road a ways further past where it tells you to stop.

Justin Wilson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 07 2020
HikingBugsScramble

The hike was beautiful. About a 1.6 mile steady climb up, good work out. Saw a lot of families and kids hiking it so it’s family friendly, just a work out. The last couple hundred feet to the look out is steep and just watch your feet placement and slow down. The view up top is like no other I’ve seen. We took a break to snack and have some beers up top. With that said, pick up your garbage and take it with you! Found some cigarette butts and other small trash up top. Be courteous. Hike down was hard on the knees but still pretty.

Stephanie Bouvier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Jul 07 2020
Hiking

Ok im really confused the GPS led us to the “place” and me and my dad hiked for like 3 miles and still wasnt there it was taking us down into the forest it made no sense there was no other trailheads around. Like where the hell is it?!! We ended up turning around and ran into a few other people who were confused as well because its only exposed to be 1.5 miles one way

Morgan Shannon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 06 2020
Hiking

Road and trail are in excellent condition! Mountain was out for a bit before disappearing behind the clouds. Parking and crowding wasn’t bad, but we hiked at sunset.

View Morgan's Recording
Alex Whitfield
HikingBugsScramble

I hiked this last night for sunset and it was incredible! Steady grade to the top but very manageable for just about any hiking level. I had trouble with lots of little bugs swarming me so maybe some bug spray would be a good idea. A bit of a scramble at the top to get to the lookout tower but not terrible if you just take your time. Please watch your kiddos closely at the top because the cliff you will be on is about a 250-300ft drop. The 10mile gravel road you have to go down is kept so well I was able to go down it in my Miata so you should be fine with that too just take it slow if you are in a smaller car.

Chris Goettl
Hiking

Truly one of the best views! Constant slope, but doable, uphill hike to the top. Beautiful forest ridge hike! Wildflowers! The view at the top is increadable! Watch young kids near the edge. Sign guest book in unmanned lookout station. Must do hike on a clear day. Very busy. Most had masks on when you passed. Dirt road but well maintained coming from Skate Creek Road, NF-54, NF-84 to NF-8400. Any car can make it.

Elliott Strand
HikingBugs

For only being a mile and a half to the end, this trail is amazing. Hiking the sawtooth ridge, with the land sloping away on both sides, is very unique terrain. Once you come around and get those first views of Rainier your mind will be blown. If you’re doing this trail at sunset be aware of mosquitos.

View Elliott's Recording
Brooke S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 05 2020
HikingBugsMuddy

Loved this hike! Got a glimpse of Mount Rainier through the clouds. The trail was a little bit muddy but overall in great shape. Beautiful views and wildflowers the entire way up.