High Rock Lookout Trail

High Rock Lookout Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ashford, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and horses and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful hike all the way up. Definitely tough with the quick elevation but the views make it totally worth it. Bugs are an awful but as long as you’re moving they aren’t too bad. Very seep ledge and no flat surfaces at the top, I would not feel comfortable bringing younger children. I saw some people in flip flops walking up and that is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Good hike for all. It’s a little steep, but not too bad. Brought my 13 year old nephew and 18 year old daughter. Both had no problem. A little smokey. Bugs are around so bring bug spray.

BTW. Whoever left cigarette butts on the trail should apologize. I removed them for you.

Amazing Views!! You really need do this on clear day, cause you can see all four Mountains...
It's a must do if you love hiking, but it's good climb...

Easy trail to navigate. Bring bug repellent! The views from the top are world class. Pay close attention to the weather, I imagine clouds would kill the view if you head up on the wrong day. The drive to the trailhead is easy. Anyone terrified of heights should be hesitant. Caution at the top is a must, the lookout is literally at the edge of a cliff.

Beautiful! Great hike! Bugs were particularly bad this time.. take bug repellent and spray it on a few times on the way up.. you will
sweat it off..can't sit on the rocks behind the shelter completely covered and swarming with flying ants & bees. This hike is worth it regardless of the steep spots very rewarding!!

This is a decent hike, it's not very long but it's steep at times. It took me exactly 1 hour to climb up with some water and snack breaks and only 40 min down. The views are great but would be best on a clear day (there was cloud cover when i went). Bring bug spray, the horseflies are out trying to make new friends. :D

This was a pleasant experience in total but moderate probably doesn’t do this hike Justice. About half way through the hike it gets steep and doesn’t let up at any point. The summit is crazy dangerous and kids need to be careful at all times. The view from the top is amazing and erases all of the negative thoughts gathered while making the trek. The horse flies are out in force so bring repellent and apply it amply before you leave the car.

This hike isn’t very long, but gets pretty steep in areas. Not in the best shape currently so it was definitely difficult. The view at the end is beyond worth it, though. Absolutely breathtaking views of Rainier and the surrounding area.

I’m intimidated by elevation gain and had been sitting on my butt recovering from surgery for 2 weeks when my boyfriend decided to drag me out on this hike. I thought I was going to die but the pay off is worth it. I want to go back to see the sunset there!

Short, steep hike. Views are beautiful but can be intimidating.

My favorite hike this year. Breathtaking panoramic views.To the you can see Mt. Adams, , further south is Mt Hood & you can see the crater of Mt. St. Helens. Look straight down & you will see Cora Lake. I would advise wearing proper hiking shoes, you'll be scrambling a little to get to the tower. Bring bug spray, the flies are no joke!! I'm pretty sure they got a weeks worth of meals from me.

I was expecting that it would be tough for me, but I knew that it would be worth it once we reached the top! It didn't disappoint. Majestic view! It was a clear day, so the view was breathtaking.

This a definite moderate to bordering on hard in some spots. But with every step I knew I was going to be able to see the most breathtaking view of my life. I was not wrong. Mt. Rainer, Adams, St. Helens and Hood could all be seen today. Never in my life have ever had the privilege of looking upon all of those majestic peaks at once. Do not go if there is a hint of cloud cover. You will miss everything that makes High Rock worth every step.

Bring bug spray. The flies are think and aggressive.

The 8 year ol d grandson could not get over how pristine everything was. This hike whooped my butt. That is a whooping I’ll take to see that kind of glory.

Awesome, totally worth the trip.

Fun quick hike up to a beautiful view of Mt. Rainier. You will also see Mt. ADAMS, Mt.St.Helens and Mt.Hood

it's not a long trail but it steep as there is a lot of elevation gains (at least for this flat lander). it's very shaded and there isn't a lot of scenery on the trail, but oh my goodness the views from the top are AMAZING! Rainier is right there and there are beautiful views of Adams and St. Helen's and surrounding peaks. I recommend this hike if you're up for a steep hike

Steady incline to the top but worth the work for the beautiful view! Doesn't take that long to complete and there's a fire tower on top for shelter if needed. This was my groups' favorite hike in Washington, so much so that we camped at the bottom after the first time hiking it so we could hike up again in the morning. Once you reach the top there are panoramic views that include a front row seat of Rainier and off in the distance, you're capable of seeing Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens with the naked eye.

We’ve hiked this trail numerous times! First hike we took our son on as an 12 year old. Steady uphill climb with beautiful 360 degrees views at the top. Historic fire lookout! Love this hike. Fast easy decent, a little hard in the toes and knees.! A bit crowded at the top. Be at the trailhead early for a more peaceful climb.

Not a complicated hike but steadily uphill and worth the view. Weather should be close to perfect for the perfect view. Be sure to download directions to trailhead as cell service is very sporadic.

One of my favorites so far! This hike is good for kids, but not small kids. At least not for me. Dogs are also welcome. If you could do a sunrise or sunset, I highly recommend. There are 2 roads. One is very sketchy and cannot be driven to by car. The other is okay. Make sure you take the path most traveled...

So beautiful but so windy when I went. Recommend going at sunrise. Gorgeous!

Most beautiful views I have ever seen. pretty steep but very worth it

Amazing views, worth the work to get to it. Last section is a bit steep. The drive there once you get of the paved road has some potholes

Such a beautiful trail! The view from the top is amazing and so worth it. The roads to get to the trailhead are rough and are filled with potholes. Beware if you have a low clearance car. We parked a mile from the trailhead to avoid more of the terrible roads.

Great hike. A bit windy up on top.

This is the perfect moderate trail. there's a decent amount of elevation gain, but nothing too crazy. as soon as you feel like quitting: you get a taste of the view which only pushes you further up. luckily we got to the top before the low clouds blew in which made it impossible to see anything. If it's a perfectly clear day don't miss your chance to hike this trail.

when its cloudy, the top of this trail looks basically like every open world video game ever where the creators just stop making a map and cut it off. super cool. hiked to end of map, earned achievement, turned in quest. reward.. nap

Hiked it yesterday, few small patches of snow still on the trail. Watch for potholes, but it’s not bad as long as you pay attention. Beautiful scenery, simple hike, but it is fairly steep

Hike was great. Some snow but not hard to pass. Giving three stars because of the trash and glass everywhere at the top. Beware if you bringing your dog or children. Taking road 85 to 8440 to the trail head allows you to skip the snow on road coming up the other side.

Awesome views at the tower of Mt Rainier! The drive was bumpy, major potholes on the road. Low clearance cars be aware.