High Rock Lookout Trail

High Rock Lookout Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ashford, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and horses and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This hike is definitely one of my favorites in the summer, but may is definitely way too early. We managed to get to the top but from where we had to park (2 miles away from the trailhead) uphill in the snow plus half of the trail is very muddy and lots of snow on the top. If you do go out in this trail before the end of June I would recommend being well prepared for snow.

attempted 5/24

parked ~ 1.6 miles from trailhead, hiked through the snow pack, just before the summit the trail became impassable.

Went to this place the other day, we had to park about a mile away from the trailhead due to the snow on the road. I’d say about half the trail is snow free but the rest is snow covered and it’s hard to follow the trail because the trail is still buried with snow. we had to give up about a half mile away from the summit cause we didn’t want to get lost. Will try again in late June.

It’s a somewhat short but a challenging and beautiful hike with an incredible view.
Tried to go up May 12, there’s still too much snow to get to the trailhead. We left our car and hiked up FR 8440 for awhile and found two guys in a high clearance truck who got stuck in the snow near the trailhead. Probably wait a few weeks on this one.

I gave this one five stars because I've hiked this twice before and the view is amazing!!!! Last Saturday we took our high-clearance truck up and was only able to get within 2.7 miles of the trailhead due to snow. a couple walking back down the road said they were able to get to the trailhead and there was 3 to 4 foot of snow so they turned around. We will try again next month

Amazing view, amazing view, and an amazing view.... the trip is sooo worth it.

Didn’t make it to the trailhead! Road conditions not suitable!!! Too much snow, better luck next time

I loved and hated this hike! It’s difficult, but the view is 100% worth it!

An AMAZING hike. The views are incredible. There are a few points before the lookout that are "lead offs" with unbelievable views. The last part is where the elevation gain comes into play, but it's worth it!

It’s an amazing trail. Gorgeous view at the top! We enjoyed it so much! The drive is not bad at all. We made it with our Toyota Matrix without any problem.

Great hike with an excellent pay off. Well worth the drive.

I really liked this hike. Just long enough to get a sweat going and a great reward up at the top. The road in was in great shape. 30mph was pretty comfortable. It was just me, my dog, and a group of 4 when I got to the trailhead on Friday morning around 11. Had lunch and did a little reading at the top and was back down before 2. There were about 7 cars at the bottom by then.

Great hike. We were lucky, we didn't have to endure the potholes others spoke of as it seems they smoothed out the road. Got there at 8:30 and the parking was almost full. Only saw a couple other groups though. Very steep hike, but so worth it. The views at the top were amazing. We were only able to see 3 of the mountains, but it was almost completely clear, so can't complain. Coming back down we saw many more people on their way up, so going early was a great suggestion by others.

This hike was amazing! It was definitely a work out on the way up but totally worth it. There are great places to stop to catch your breath! The lookout was gorgeous and you can see four different mountains. I would go earlier in the morning because the parking lot was full by 1030 and on our way down there were a ton of people going up. The only complaint I have were the flies! Bring bug spray because those bugs will literally follow you and won't leave you alone! But like I said, the view was 100% worth it!

was a workout getting to the lookout point...but oh so worth It! the view is amazing!! definitely a must do hike for anyone who hasn't yet.

Was the only one on this trail in early August during the time of the fires in British Columbia. Smoke obscured the views but made for a great sunset. Vampire flies were annoying but I had bug spray which helped. The road is rough in places and my low to the ground Hyundai required me to almost come to a halt to keep from bottoming out in the deep potholes. I need a Jeep. I noticed the medium rating for this trail but I was sore for three days afterwards. I assume it is because of the short distance since the trail is very steep for the last half. I must be getting old.

Amazing hike! We got there about 8am and were the first people there besides some people that camped overnight. The earlier you get there the less crowded. By the time we got down about 11am the parking lot was full. The hike is definitely a workout it's an incline all the way up so take lots of breaks - we did. Got up in 45 minutes to an hour. The bugs can be an annoyance but we got bug spray from rei Repel 100, worked great. The drive up can be tricky because of potholes but nothing that can't be handled if you drive slow. The views are definitely worth the hike. We will be going again for sure!

Great hike with an even greater view!!hike is 1.6 miles straight uphill the whole time but it's absolutely doable for anyone as long as you pace yourself. the only downside is they no longer maintain the lookout so it's falling apart and people are obviously vandalizing it. lots of broken glass so watch your step.

I really love this trail and it's great for beginners! It's a nice easy incline and you cannot beat the view once you make it to the top. Highly recommend. The only thing I would mention is when driving up to the trail, beware of many potholes.

I would echo a lot of the points many others have mentioned.

The road up to the trail: plan on a lot of dust and a mile or 2 of potholes. Nothing you cant navigate if you take it easy but just good to know. As far as getting to the parking area, I followed the directions on the WTA website. They were fairly easy to follow so long as you track milage once off the main roads.

The hike: Short but keeps you huffing and puffing. There were maybe 12 others I passed on a beautiful, clear Sunday afternoon. This included a few dogs and a few teenagers. I didn't see any super young kids. I would say it's definitely do able with younger kids though. The last half a mile is very steep and does require a bit of dexterity.

The views: Unlike any other hike Ive been on yet. I had a clear day with unobstructed views of Rainier, St Helens, Adams and Hood. All just by turning 360 degrees.

I cant wait to do this hike again, maybe bring a few newbies with me:)

Wear bug spray and bring it along, you may sweat it off.. flies are terrible part way up and at the very top.. careful on road going up..pretty good sized potholes! Wonderful pay off at the top..gorgeous. (2) geocaches up there, as week

Beautiful hike. And the views as you get close to the top are amazing and only gets better as you reach the outlook. The bugs can be a problem if you do not bring bug spray. And parking may be a problem unless you go early. But with these two comments, this hike is a must do! You love the views of 4 mountains on a clear day.

Great views along entire trail.

Bugs are really bad and the hike isn't too long but challenging. But the top was so worth it, one of my favorite hikes ever.

the trail sucked.... lots of bugs now streams or rivers and was pretty steep. the lookout it's self tho was amazing you can see forever from up there.

This is our all time favorite hike the kids love it and my wife makes sure we plan a trip to this spot once every year!!!

Beautiful views of 4 mountain peaks. Trail is easy to climb. Hiked with a 6 and 10 year old. Steep in some areas with loose dirt and rock. Be prepared for a rough drive up without the proper vehicle. Lots of rocks and large potholes for quite a distance. Will do again. Would say it's a bucket list category hike.

Absolutely gorgeous! Totally worth it. The road driving in was ROUGH. Lots of huge dips and washouts. Just go super slow and you'll be fine. The hike was amazing. You can see as far as Mt. Adams. The rocky cliff at the top was tricky and you will need to be careful with children since it's a shear drop off on one side. But the view is unbelievable.

My husband and I hike this trail last wednesday. (07.05.17) It's a short hike but it was fun tho. Amazing view at the top.

We loved the view but hated all the bugs.