Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

High Rock Lookout Trail

High Rock Lookout Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ashford, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and horses and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We went up MLK and couldn’t make it up to the trailhead. We did 8 miles round trip snowshoeing and broke trail. It was amazing. The clouds didn’t lift enough to see Mt Rainer or the full Valley but we got some amazing shots anyways and fun day!

There was a lot of snow on road and one map said we were at trail. We decided to park and hike the road to trailhead. 2.5 miles we finally got to trail head. It was a pretty hike in the snow even on the road. It was getting dark so we decided wouldn’t have enough time to do the hike, with walking down road with the cars that still needed to come down. Snow was deep as we got higher. We had spikes so they helped walking the road.

It was a beautiful hike in the snow even though we didn’t make to trail.

Awesome short hike. View from the top is amazing.

You: Bring light Ice cleats, and a camera.

Transportation: having decent ground clearance is not a must have but surely helps. I wouldn’t drive up there in a sedan, but people do it.

A little busy but the view from the top was absolutely amazing! The trail was icy in several spots. Should have brought some light ice cleats but it was still doable.

Always an amazing hike!!

A beautiful hike!
I would suggest using a 4 wheel drive, or high clearance vehicle. The road to the parking is plagued with potholes. That makes the journey a lot longer to park. There are no facilities here.
It wasn't too busy, and it was a gorgeous fall day!

Simply amazing. A relatively short hike with some of the most breathtaking views at the end. We were lucky to get a sunny fall day and see Rainier in all its glory, along with Adams and St Helens. The drop off the edge is insane, incredible photos for a little effort!

Beautiful hike! Not a long hike, but good elevation gain. We did it with a 9 & 7 year old. The kids had a great time, but they are used to doing these types of hikes. There was a 360 view that was incredible.

Absolutely beautiful hike! We did this with a group of 6 on 10/13/18 for a sunset hike. Started hiking around 4pm-made it up at around 5:20 and we took it slow with some break stops and photo moments. Very good maintained trail. My app told me one way was 1.75 miles. Had plenty of time to take pictures before the sun set. 360 degree views all around! So glad we had plenty of time to take pictures because I just could not stop taking them! Gorgeous in every direction! Worth the short trek up! If interested in watching our adventure, video will be up in a couple of days!

This hike is short and steep but sweet! The views are amazing! We took quite a few breaks on the way up and still managed to get to the top in an hour. The road up is extremely rough, lots of potholes and ruts. There were a couple of low clearance vehicles at the trailhead when we came down so it is doable for sure. Just take your time!

Beautiful fall day for a hike. The trail was in perfect conditions, there were bugs but the weren’t aggressive. My dog and I made it up easily, not a cloud in sight.

Such an amazing view! Even the woods are glorious on the way up. The last bit is relatively steeper because of the rock you have to climb but it is well worth it. The mountain is larger than life. We got to the top and we had a two minute view before clouds covered us but even that was worth it.

The views at the top are unparalleled - absolutely amazing. I was lucky enough to get a nice day, so I literally had 360 mountain views. I also had the whole lookout to myself! Three other people were leaving as I was about to hit the top, so I was super lucky.
As much as this hike kicked my arse (to which I’m still not really sure why - I’ve done longer, higher altitude and more elevation, and this seemed worse to me??), I would do it again for the views. Took me about 1h 10 to get up, and 50 minutes to get down - I’m not overly fit, and I took a lot of breaks.
There were a lot of bees at the top, which is kind of random haha but something to look out for.

Oh - and how has nobody mentioned the fact you drive about 9 miles on gravel roads to get here?! It’s absolutely, totally worth it, don’t get me wrong - but it was a very long half hour, especially knowing I had to go back haha!

I really enjoyed this hike! I went on a day when it was raining a bit so my pup and I essentially had the trail to ourselves. The climb to the top wasn’t too bad and man was it worth it. The views were breathtaking. Even though it was cloudy and raining it was still amazing. I was not able to see Rainier because of the clouds but I plan on going back up on a clear day. The fire lookout is really cool too. You are able to go inside and sign a trail register. Lots of cliffs so please be careful! Rocks at the top can be slick in the rain.

I liked the hike, went with my husband and my dog, didn't like the aggressive bugs. Don't know if I would do it again but it was a nice view when we finally made it to the top.

I hiked this many, many years ago. I don't recall it being a very tough hike but I do remember the bugs being aggressively annoying. The view at the top is worth the climb. It's one of the smaller hikes I've done with not much of an elevation gain. Nowadays, I'm climbing peaks with 3k or higher elevation. This should be an easy hike for any experienced hiker.

8/29/18
Amazing. While the views from the top will be entirely weather dependent, if you go when it’s clear you’ll be SO glad you did. I made it up just after sunrise and the skies were still colorful and the views to Adams, Helens, and Rainier were perfect. This might be one of the best overlooks of Rainier, high enough that you can see on top a bit and far enough away to really appreciate its size. Please do your part and be respectful of this place (leave no trace and do not vandalize) so we can all continue to appreciate it for years to come!

I love how the hike is short, and intense. The view was breathtaking but the bugs were out there and WILD. The majority of the view was covered with smoke from the wild fire but it was still beautiful. I love how for this trial you get 360 view all around you.

Beautiful hike all the way up. Definitely tough with the quick elevation but the views make it totally worth it. Bugs are an awful but as long as you’re moving they aren’t too bad. Very seep ledge and no flat surfaces at the top, I would not feel comfortable bringing younger children. I saw some people in flip flops walking up and that is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Good hike for all. It’s a little steep, but not too bad. Brought my 13 year old nephew and 18 year old daughter. Both had no problem. A little smokey. Bugs are around so bring bug spray.

BTW. Whoever left cigarette butts on the trail should apologize. I removed them for you.

Amazing Views!! You really need do this on clear day, cause you can see all four Mountains...
It's a must do if you love hiking, but it's good climb...

Easy trail to navigate. Bring bug repellent! The views from the top are world class. Pay close attention to the weather, I imagine clouds would kill the view if you head up on the wrong day. The drive to the trailhead is easy. Anyone terrified of heights should be hesitant. Caution at the top is a must, the lookout is literally at the edge of a cliff.

Beautiful! Great hike! Bugs were particularly bad this time.. take bug repellent and spray it on a few times on the way up.. you will
sweat it off..can't sit on the rocks behind the shelter completely covered and swarming with flying ants & bees. This hike is worth it regardless of the steep spots very rewarding!!

This is a decent hike, it's not very long but it's steep at times. It took me exactly 1 hour to climb up with some water and snack breaks and only 40 min down. The views are great but would be best on a clear day (there was cloud cover when i went). Bring bug spray, the horseflies are out trying to make new friends. :D

This was a pleasant experience in total but moderate probably doesn’t do this hike Justice. About half way through the hike it gets steep and doesn’t let up at any point. The summit is crazy dangerous and kids need to be careful at all times. The view from the top is amazing and erases all of the negative thoughts gathered while making the trek. The horse flies are out in force so bring repellent and apply it amply before you leave the car.

This hike isn’t very long, but gets pretty steep in areas. Not in the best shape currently so it was definitely difficult. The view at the end is beyond worth it, though. Absolutely breathtaking views of Rainier and the surrounding area.

I’m intimidated by elevation gain and had been sitting on my butt recovering from surgery for 2 weeks when I was drug out on this hike. I thought I was going to die but the pay off is worth it. I want to go back to see the sunset there!

Short, steep hike. Views are beautiful but can be intimidating.

My favorite hike this year. Breathtaking panoramic views.To the you can see Mt. Adams, , further south is Mt Hood & you can see the crater of Mt. St. Helens. Look straight down & you will see Cora Lake. I would advise wearing proper hiking shoes, you'll be scrambling a little to get to the tower. Bring bug spray, the flies are no joke!! I'm pretty sure they got a weeks worth of meals from me.

I was expecting that it would be tough for me, but I knew that it would be worth it once we reached the top! It didn't disappoint. Majestic view! It was a clear day, so the view was breathtaking.