High Divide - Seven Lakes Basin Loop

High Divide - Seven Lakes Basin Loop is a 17.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Forks, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Directions from junction of Highway 101 and Sol Duc River Road: Drive southward on the Sol Duc River Road 14 miles to roads end and the Sol Duc Trailhead. From this trailhead walk southeastward along the Sol Duc Trail less than a mile to the Canyon Creek Trail. Cross the river and hike 3 miles southward to Deer Lake and the beginning of the High Divide Trail.

Very nice trail. Amazing scenery. It took us about 9 hours. I suggest you carry GPS with you on this trail as there are quite a few "Y" shape trail splits and its not clear which trial is the main. Spotted 6 black bears within half mile distance from Heart lake.

About 20 mile hike, it took us about 10 hours with some stopping briefly for lunch and pictures. The hardest part about the hike was the distance. The incline gain wasn't too bad since it was stretched over the long distance. Very beautiful, snow, blueberries, lakes, mossy trees, bears, we loved it!!!

Just returned from an amazing trip to High Divide/Seven Lakes Basin. Did the loop (counterclockwise) with the Saturday start @ 1130 am. Got to Lunch Lake at 530 pm after hiking for about 8 miles, set our tent, made dinner, watched the bears circle the lake and went to bed. Left on Sunday at 1130 am and continued the loop towards Seven Lakes/High Divide. The second leg was about 12 miles and took just over 6 hours to complete (made a stop for lunch at Heart Lake and numerous stops for pictures). Our pace was relatively fast. We encountered heavy rain and snow on Saturday and amazing blue sunny skies Sunday. Saw deer, 15 bears and abundance of lakes and peaks of the Olympics. Absolutely breathtaking hike.

We did a 3 day hike with the first night at Deer Lake and the second night at Sol Duc Park. Tough hike but worth the stunning and amazing scenery along the way. We also saw 8 bears, one up close, but he ignored us and kept on eating all the blueberries :)

Even though we didn't do the whole loop, we loved it. We reached the junction to lunch lake (over deer lake) and returned the same way. Amazing views, bear sightings and beautiful landscape! Next time we will pack our tent to do the whole loop as multi day trip!!!

We started off our day at the ranger station where we got our bear can and permit. We were lucky enough to be assigned two great camp spots for our three day/two night adventure. Day one at Sol Duc Park, and day two at Lunch Lake. It was a long steady hike to Sol Duc Park (around 8mi). We took leisurely breaks here and there, picked some berries, enjoyed the streams. I wanted to do this hike primarily for the wildlife and the views of Mount Olympus. Hikers kept passing us talking about a bear ahead on the trail, but we never ran into it. Later, after being at our camp and all set up, someone informed us that one was just at Heart Lake swimming. So of course we made our way up there for a "quick" peek. Quite a steep jaunt even for my partner and I who are in our early 20s and reasonably fit. We caught it just as the bear peacefully climbed up the side of the ridge. My first sighting in the wild!

The first morning we woke up to very stuffy noses and the smell of smoke from all of the wildfires currently burning in eastern Washington and Oregon. Unfortunately it remained smoky for the rest of our journey. The hike from Sol Duc Park to Lunch Lake is pretty nice. It starts out pretty steep between Sol Duc Park and High Divide. When we reached the High Divide, it was so smoky we only saw a part of Mount Olympus. Kind of disappointing, so with this we took the lake trails (possibly the y lake trail but it didn't match up exactly on my recording) to Lunch Lake. At Lunch we set up our camp and went down to cool off and enjoy the water. I heard some loud splashing, and looked across the way to see a bear also enjoying the lake. It stayed around for a good 15 minutes before heading towards the way we entered lunch lake. Around dusk, a mother deer and her baby walked right by our camp, another group came by a little later. Our hike out was relatively easy, but long. The first portion getting out of lunch and getting back up to the High Divide, is a steep one. Definitely want to come back around later September/October or next spring. Trail loop is also probably closer to 20 miles.

My wife and I did this day hike and went all the way to Lunch Lake before heading back and didn't have time to do the high divide as it was 7:30 pm when we got back to the trailhead. We wouldn't have descended to Lunch Lake but just viewed the Seven Lake basin from the top and then head to the divide.

I did this as a backpacking trip with 2 nights and 3 days. I had a late start the first day and was supposed to go to Lunch Lake for the night, but ended up turning back because of a mama bear and cub on the trail that didn't seem too keen on leaving. I spent the first night in Deer Lake, then hiked to Sol Duc Park the next day, and then out on the third. The views were amazing, but definitely a lot of work! It didn't help that I soloed, so my pack was heavy. I didn't see any rangers on the trail, however there is a LOT of wildlife activity (bears, elk, mountain goats) so to the person asking about a dog, I would definitely not recommend bringing the dog for the safety of both the dog and the wildlife.

I have not done this hike yet but am hoping it's a 5 star! I have been wanting to find something moderate for my first overnight backpacking trip. I have a few friends to come along, but was just wondering how big they are at enforcing the no dog rule? I have a dog who comes with me on every hike I go on and I was really hoping she could be a part of my first backpack trip. Any info would help tremendously! Thanks everyone!
Christel Pat

Great day hike! If you're in reasonable fitness this isnt a bad walk, (about 8hrs). Nice and steady going up, and the views on top are incredible. The walk along the river back does drag a little after the climb up and down.

This hike was beautiful, we did it as along day hike but would be great for backpacking which most others were doing.

Excellent Trail, definitely difficult. Heavy mosquito and black fly presence in early August, prepare accordingly. Definitely an unforgettable trail.