Heybrook Ridge

Heybrook Ridge is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Index, Washington that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Got a late start on a Sunday, but was able to grab a parking spot. My kids (6 and 11) enjoyed the hike. The terrain is similar to surrounding hikes, but we just wanted to get out and enjoy the sun. Some roots and rocks to step over, but no one had any issues. My kids had hiking sticks, so that helped them. It was a little steeper than I pictured even though I took note of the mileage vs elevation gain prior. Still not bad, just wanted to note. Nice quick hike.

Definitely not an EASY hike. And I've been on some butt-kickers. Moderate to high level skills. Families beware; you will be lugging your little ones over rock and root through cutting switchbacks carving up often slippery and muddy subalpine escarpment. Coming down isn't any easier. Great hike for calorie burning. Not so good for daycare.

Very easy. arrived to an empty trail head parking lot around 9am on 12/30/18. Trail conditions were wet and muddy, but an easy hike up. Very well maintained trail. encountered no snow. very foggy at the summit, got some views for a split second.

This hike was inviting from the start. The terrain was well groomed, and the trail had a soft bark and dirt mix under foot. The mossy trees were incredibly beautiful, and once again, ferns growing out of the sides. Is this some sort of mutation? So neat! The elevation started fairly quickly and was pretty consistent throughout, with some breaks. It wasn’t super steep, just steady. It reminded me of Heather Lake, but less elevation and length. It started snowing on our way up and by the time we reached the top, the snow was compacted with a few inches of accumulation. To be honest, there wasn’t much to see at the top except for trees with snow and clouds/fog covering the mountains. I suppose the sights would have been better on a clear day, but the view is not very expansive and there is only a small area to hang out at the top. We finished our experience at the top by making a snowman. Coming down the mountain is a bit tricky to navigate with the slippery snow and wet terrain. Luckily, we made it down without falling! I would recommend this hike for a short excursion up a mountain and back in less than a couple of hours. It was good exercise, nice terrain, and decent scenery.

Pretty good hike with a killer view at the top. Wasn’t muddy at all no snow yet.

Great trail for a short but intense hike just an hour outside of Seattle. No passes needed and easy parking right off the highway. I would definitely bring visitors or new hikers here since it's doable for most fitness levels but the view is A+. I would expect it to get taken over by Instagram influencers very soon. Hiked in December - some frost on the ground but footing was solid and didn't have any issues.

great hike to do with kids. well maintained trail with plenty of parking and beautiful views at the top. also a nice workout for those who dont hike a whole lot.

9/4/2018 (Tuesday) - Everything is good on this trail from trailhead with sufficient parking places to trail top with good view, facing Bridal Veil Falls.

This trail is nicely shaded, very well marked, and finishes with a spectacular view. My partner, dogs and I hiked it a couple of weeks back. As a total coincidence, we met a geologist at the end who drew a mini-crowd in discussing all the surrounding mountain peaks!

not a hard hike for kids

Well, I told the kids it was pretty flat and easy (based on the trail report), but nah...it had quite a bit of up. It wasn't hard though and its 1.66 to the top. There are markers along the way at .25, .75, etc. So its 3.2 miles from bottom to top and back. Great views. My 3 teenagers breezed up it even though they told me once again I lied about it being flat. We were there on a Tuesday at noonish and it was about 85 degrees. There was a nice breeze and was under cover the whole way until the last bit. The trail is great. Not many rocks and roots like some other hikes, so I can imagine it gets pretty slippery in the rain, so make sure you aren't wearinf flip flops or converse type shoes in the rain. Shh....this is a new trail, so not many people know about it. We were one of two cars at the trailhead. There is a porta potty. The only reason I didnt give 5 stars is because the power lines are ugly. But still a cute little jaunt. It got our hearts pumping a bit and we felt great after.

Enjoy!

Lol..whoever rates this as easy must be either an idiot or such an expert hiker that they could do this in their sleep. I’m in decent shape and had a rough time with it so just beware, not easy, get ready to work for it. Good hike though.

Nice trail. Took the family and the dog. Kids (ranging in age from almost nine to almost 5) all did it without complaint, and all had a great time. It was a little slippery on the way down for the almost 5 year old, but other than that there were no issues. Great view at the top, nice parking at the bottom.

Beautiful, well-maintained trail. I think it’s on the moderate side of easy since you have to do a fair bit of climbing, but just enough to get some sweat going. The view at the top is lovely!

This was a lovely hike through a winding 800 foot ascent. There was logging in the forest at the turn of the century so you see the remnants of the large stumps throughout and even some wire-ropes. We met the founder of the trail on our way up who raised support for the trail since 2008, to get the trail ready over those years. So it has been functional for two years, he said.
At the top, the service road is a few steps from the end of the hike (power lines right there).
Beautiful view of the falls across the way and looking out at the whole horizon of hills. Beautiful!
Several of the photos posted here are from Heybrook Lookout (not this 'ridge' hike) - this does not have a lookout tower with stairs.

Easy hike, well maintained trail. Power lines on the top next to view point.

Well maintained and easy to get too. I will say I personally would rate this moderate (keeping in mind I’m 125 pounds and was carrying my toddler in a pack which added about 40 ponds extra). With that and the way up being 90% incline I got an intense workout. Beautiful views!

Well maintained trail. Low crowds.

A great hike with a well-established trail. Please note that the trailhead is NOT on Hwy 2, as previously noted by Shannon Barban. It is on the Index-Galena Rd, right next to the only bridge that leads in to the town of Index. If you use the GPS coordinates to navigate, you will easily find the trailhead.

While you are on the trail, you will come upon a service road. Keep going straight! This will ensure you stay on the trail and get to the top.

The view is worth the effort!!

Fun hike and great for kids! Brought my older dogs and they did fine. Gradual incline and the view at the end was amazing! Good payoff for an easy hike!

Fairly easy hike with a great payoff. Bring some lunch and soak up views of Index and Barring.

I found the Lookout easy enough but couldn't find the Ridge. I ended up hiking along the service road for a bit which extended the hike by a couple of miles.

Gorgeous views, easy to moderate hike.

Great hike in the town of Index. The views are amazing for such a short hike. There are many places to venture to from the top to get different perspectives of Mt. Index . I recommend this hike to everyone. I will be back soon.

Short and sweet, yet still a great workout. There is quite a bit of snow half way to the lookout so I decided to use my microspikes just to add a bit more traction to my older hiking shoes. The view from the top is beautiful, and only had to share the lookout with one other hiker. For the most part, I had the trail to myself the entire time.

Important——One thing is, the trailhead is located on hwy 2, so if you’re coming from the west make sure you are aware that this sneaks up to you. It’s on the left of highway 2 if you’re heading east and you will have to turn across the highway with little notice. Could be unsafe for some.

Great little hike. Amazing views at the top. Would definitely recommend.

My sister and I decided to head out on Monday trying to get in some trail time before the rain and we lucked out. Really easy switch back hike with a lot of tree cover so we didn't get soaked. Even on a gross day the view was beautiful. Will defiantly be coming back on a clearer day.

Monday, January 15, 2018

Myself, my two huskies and my 8 year old hiked this trail a couple weeks ago; it was perfect. Rainy day so you couldn't enjoy the view too much but the trail was manageable and pretty easy, even with the rain. Would recommend!

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Went on 12/23 and trail was clear except for a bit of snow/ice near the top. Great views of Baring, Index, and more. Perfect way to break up the Seattle-to-Leavenworth drive. I think All Trails quotes the trail a bit long. WTA said 3.4 (not 3.8) and there were flags every 0.1 mile that corroborated that story. I didn’t bring anything to measure distance myself though.