Heybrook Lookout Trail

Heybrook Lookout Trail is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Index, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 866 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Short, but steep climb offering stunning views from the top.

icy

Started at 3:15pm. Ended a bit before 5:30pm. Trail is covered in snow with a bit of ice but not too bad. I used microspikes on the way up, and down, my boyfriend didn’t have any at all and he still managed with minor slipping. We both used poles which made it much easier. Only saw 3 people on our way up. Spent 15ish minutes at the top of the lookout, beautiful views of the skyline in all directions.

icy

Doable but covered in snow the entire way. Last yard was a scramble in snow.

flooded

No snow until you get to the lookout. Spikes not needed. Really muddy. On Couple of places water runs on the trail But not to bad. I had waterproof boots and gaiters, feet stayed dry and toasty. Poles will make it easier on the muddy parts too.

flooded

Completed this hike today just before the weather turned and unleashed a deluge of rain on us. It was a bit ambitious hiking this directly after hiking Bridal Veil Falls and my legs screamed the entire climb, but I couldn't resist as the trailheads are so close in proximity. If you hike this trail now, be prepared with proper shoes as you'll walk through water almost all the way up/down. I love how the trail felt entirely natural, and most of the steps utilizing natural stone rather than traditional staircases. The tower was closed but you can still access the stairs to get high enough for a view, which we weren't lucky enough to experience today. This is on my list for a guaranteed sunny day in the near future. Enjoy!

Super thankful we got to do this trail in December. It was a little muddy but it was not as bad as we thought it would be and we got up and back just fine. It is definitely a little work out but we got up to the top in 35 minutes and had a nice time walking around and checking out the tower. Would recommend!!!

We stopped at this awesome hike on the way home from Leavenworth. It was a short, steep trek up to a lookout tower with sweeping views of the snow covered peaks around us. One of the overlooks afforded a perfect photo opportunity, with an iron bridge over the Snohomish River in the foreground, with a layer of fog in the middle ground, and the towering hills in the background. The easy access (the trailhead is right off the highway) and lack of snow likely make this trail well trodden year-round.

easy hike for some view. no snow as of 12/29/19

Pretty steep and strenuous for a beginner hiker but not not impossible if you're in shape. Need good hiking shoes for all the rocks and roots though. only took me about an hour and a half with a stop at the top. The trees provided some cover from the snow and the trail near the top was hard and frozen but no ice yet.

We took our 2 and 3 years old to this trail 2019 Nov. my 3 years old did really good and it’s really challenging for my 2 years olds’s tiny feet but overall very great family hike spot!!

The trail is nice and engaging, and the tower is really well-kept. It’s cool to see one on stilts, rather than the more common ones that are build on the ground. The cab is locked unless you rent it, though, and the view from the level below the cab is less than 180 degrees because of the tree line. I’d be disappointed if it weren’t so accessible and quick. It wasn’t a waste of time, but it wasn’t hard to leave.

It’s all uphill but the pay off is well worth it

3.1 miles of trail (to and from). Overall, short and easy hike.