Heybrook Lookout Trail

Heybrook Lookout Trail is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Index, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 866 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Short, but steep climb offering stunning views from the top.

It’s all uphill but the pay off is well worth it

3.1 miles of trail (to and from). Overall, short and easy hike.

Perfect hike for just about anyone. A little muddy but overall not bad. The reward at the top was worth it.

very impressed to see so many children on this trail! way to go mom's

Shorter hike but very nice. The view was great on a clear day. I really enjoyed it.

Quick and easy enough. Views from the top of the tower were prime. Pretty muddy towards the bottom but it did rain pretty hard the night before so no surprise there.

Nice trail through the woods, great views from the lookout! Rocky in places.

No complaints at all- this hike was short and sweet. Pretty nonstop uphill on the way to the lookout, but the forest you walk through is gorgeous and full of hanging moss. Careful walking, there are many rocks and roots. The view from the top is worth more than the effort to get there! Was a bit chilly but we were fine with long pants and long sleeves, since it was a workout. We were done within two hours.

Hiked this trail in late afternoon. Saw some wildlife and an awesome view at the top of the fire tower. Would definitely recommend this trail to anyone wanting a good leg workout and a sweet view.

Such a beautiful hike! Pretty steep, but well worth the view at the top. It took us about an hour and 40 minutes total when combined with our 30 minute rest at the top, but overall I definitely recommend. A little slippery here and there too:

I hiked this today. A good pick for a rainy day short hike underneath the forest canopy. The view from the lookout....lol not so much on a rainy day. I managed to get a few peek a boo views as it dissipated.

Nice easy hike through the forest with great views from the lookout. Trail is in great shape.

We stayed overnight at the lookout on sep22, 2019 . Got really lucky with the reservation as someone cancelled last min and i ended up on reservations.gov the second that happened . The hike is steep but completely doable . The view from the top on a clear day is just fantastic . The lookout cabin is so well maintained by the forest ranger station as well as the people staying overnight . Highly recommend staying there overnight .

Absolutely love this trail...Steady incline till you reach the tower. Amazing views at the top

Use caution when pulling onto the pull-out to get to the trailhead heading East. Make sure you give vehicles behind you enough warning that you're going to make that left turn. The trailhead is right across from the Mount Baker National Forest sign. Don't underestimate this trail. Yes, it's short but it's fairly steep the entire way. There are lots and lots of big rocks to step up onto as you climb your way up 800+ elevation gain to the top. There are roots and plenty of other things on the trail to make this quite the little adventure. I throughly enjoyed the hike. It got my heart pumping and gave me quite the early morning workout. After awhile, you'll enter deeper forest which was kind of eery but with the constant road noise from highway 2, you'll be reminded that you're not too far from civilization. As you scale the side of the mountain, there will be a couple of pull-outs on the trail to your right where you'll have a great view of the mountain across from the highway. Today, unfortunately the views were blocked by low lying clouds and fog. Quite common in the Pacific Northwest. The last 25 feet is a rock-ridden trail that'll take you right up to a gravel paved flat spot and if you look straight up you'll see the mammoth tower that is the lookout. If you're brave enough to scale to the top of the lookout, you'll find some wonderful quotes to motivate you to climb that last bit of stair leading up to a locked door, (unless you've rented it out, of course). I piddled around at the bottom for about 10 minutes, wandered down the grassy road to the right of the tower and according to my GPS, there's a trail that'll lead up to Heybrook Mountain summit. I wasn't brave enough to take the trail because I saw a lot of bear scat on the trail on the way up. Maybe another time. Some protips: Clean up after your dogs, (I saw a lot of dog poop on the trail). Clean up after yourselves, (I saw a lot of garbage around the tower). Remember trail etiquette, (yield to those hikers on their way up when you're on your way down). Enjoy and stay safe!

As advertised short but steep. First 2/3 has lots of vertical and last bit relatively flat. We had heard lots about heavy traffic so we left the trailhead around 7:00 AM and saw one party coming back down but nobody else came up behind us. Lovely view at the top. Took hiking poles - not necessary but didn’t regret having them.

Beautiful trail, steep at the start, but super quick to the top. Nice view

Great for a quick adventure. I'm completely scared of heights so I didn't climb up the lookout tower but still great at the top.

I was sweating pretty good. a lot up hill but nicely groomed trail. I am more used to a rough trail so this was nice. we rented the lookout so we stayed over night. very highly trafficed. We had at least 4 people on the level below us watching the sunset. hiked out around 9 and 2 groups of peiple already hiking up.

Quick and easy, nice little warm up before Bridal Veils/Lake Serene!

Trail is right off the left side of the high way. Starts out steep but is short. The lookout is not open for the public at the very top since some people rent it out but the balcony second to the top is nice. On a cloudy day can’t see other mountains but the clouds look nice in the trees!

beautiful hike