Heybrook Lookout Trail

Heybrook Lookout Trail is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Index, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Short, but steep climb offering stunning views from the top.

This place is such a beautiful hike to go to. The way up the mountain was amazing and breathtaking. My friends and there dog and i were the only ones up on the trail. We had the tower by ourselves and it was very nice. I’m so afraid of heights, i didn’t think it would be so tall, so I wasn’t comfortable up in it.
But I would totally do the hike again ....

Enjoyed my hike. No snow. Beautiful clear view. Popular trail. Great path. Definitely recommend!

My wife and I just hiked this trail and it’s beautiful...
No snow at the top. We really had a good time and ate some Trader Joe’s snacks at the top of the lookout tower. Awesome views.

Great hike! Took my 4 year old daughter with me and she had no problems completing the hike with only asking to “chill out” for a rest right before the look out. Pretty busy but every one was friendly, very kind and patient while my daughter timidly came down the lookout steps. Parking was limited but with the number of hikers coming and going it only took a couple minutes of waiting to get a parking spot. Also there was ZERO trash on the trail! I always look for trash to bring back to keep our forests clean but I didn’t find a single piece or a single pile of dog poo either! I highly suggest this one!

Awesome hike! Steep climb, but only a mile one way so totally doable. Took 40 minutes to get to the top. There were a few muddy patches, but no snow, so it’s still good conditions for January. It was super sunny today so the views were incredible. Highly recommend for an afternoon hike.

Felt bad for parents with young kids lugging them over slippery rocks and muddy roots. Parents check conditions. You might be biting off more than you anticipated.

little bit of snow spitting at the bottom but definitely sticking at the top. muddy in places but totally avoidable!

My dog and I arrived around 1pm on a Wednesday (January 2nd) and got back to the car at about 2:45pm. We're meandered and stopped a lot. Some switchbacks but nothing too strenuous. It's been dry for a couple days so there were hardly any wet parts of the path. In some places there was mud but still very doable (I was just in running shoes). A little snow just before the tower. The tower gave me sweaty palms, but what an incredible view from the top! We only ran into 3 pairs of hikers during our trip. I may not go again but really enjoyed it while we were there.

Short hike with a beautiful view at the end. The switchbacks suck and conditions are pretty muddy but the payoff at the end is great. A little snowy towards the top and the stairs to the lookout can be icy. Highly suggest going on a clear day to fully experience the mountains around you.

This hike was perfect for late afternoon. The views are stunning even through the clouds. The sunset peaking put as it went down was majestic. Pretty snow at the top .5 miles as well. Some muddy spots were slippery. The steady incline and short switchbacks were not bad at all to navigate. Great hike.

This little hike was especially nice during a winter morning. The parking lot is conventionally right off of Hwy 2. It wasn’t snowing when we got there, but halfway up it really started dumping. I’d suggest bringing micro-spikes and checking the weather beforehand.

the trail itself is very good. wouldn't consider easy but moderate. views were amazing.

my vehicle was broken into though. they shattered my window and stole my diaper bag. be careful!

It was a moderate trail. The switchbacks were a bit challenging in damp conditions.

Perfect hike for a short day trip. I was out and done in less that two hours. That was with enjoying the views and taking pictures along the way. I want to come back and do this in the snow! Also I had two small dogs with me and they did just fine :)

Relatively short easy hike. I went while it was raining so going up in the beginning can be muddy and slippery so be careful. Views were incredible from the lookout even on a semi foggy day.

Sheltered forest hike on a well maintained trail. Beautiful view on the lookout.

Nice short hike. I was concerned it might be steep and hard work for my ten year old daughter who has not hiked much, but she handled without any difficulties. We ate lunch at a little picnic table below the tower and enjoyed taking in the views. The trail was well maintained and definitely seemed to be a nice place for people with dogs.

Ehh

Well maintained, light traffic, beautiful and not a huge commitment. I had trekking poles but didn’t hugely need them. No sign of bears, just an odd amount of slugs drying in the sun. Easy parking, free and no way to get lost.

Up, up, and up. It seemed to never end. I have done longer hikes with more of an elevation gain, but this one hits you very fast and strong. Someone else suggested poles, I agree and wished I had brought mine.

Nice short hike, great view! Would do again!

We did this with the kids. They are 8 and 10. They loved it. We saw Bear skat and tons of fell trees. I suggest bringing bear spray or carry a bag of cayenne pepper just in case. The view is incredible!!! Great family hike!

it was easy to spot this trail-head. And also quite short kind of a hiking for me.Just a few switchbacks and you will be there in a heartbeat.
View top of the tower was beautiful . Renting out top portion of this tower can be great idea but that will be the only reason i can come back to this trail again.

This should be considered a Moderate trail.

This is way harder than expected. The entire first half of the hike is straight up and then you have to go straight down. Bring your poles. Beautiful view but exhausting.

Great hike with a view! Parking is easily accessed from the freeway, had no issues with finding a spot. Trail starts to the left of the parking lot and has a sign-in board. Be prepared to work your stair-master muscles as the trail is loaded with what seems to be improved steps from stones and logs. Dont be afraid! The trail isn't too technical, just a few switchbacks. Along the way you may notice the traffic is quit heavy depending on the time of day you decide to head out. I decided to catch the sunset so I started at 1900 to get some, hopefully, good pictures. After a mile of up-hill I came upon the tower and another couple on the very top. Scaling the stairs I was anxious to get to the top but noticed that the access was closed off to the top portion. I didnt ask the couple on top to open it as I assumed that they were renting the tower for the evening. After an hour of waiting I was able to get my setting and snapped a couple of shots before deciding to head back down. Other than the highway the area is virtually quit and the added ambiance of birdlife is very abundant. Which of course adds to the overall greatness of its location. Overall, with an out and back of two miles total, the hike is worth the view of the ranges. Very kid friendly depending on their skill level. And if age is just a number and not a factor take the time to hike this trail. I'm sure you'll find something to enjoy along it's way. Cheers!

Parking is directly off the freeway trail starts out with a decent incline the whole way. Was somewhat overcast day but still enjoyed some peakaboo sights. Great hike for beginner or with dogs.

Great hike! It was steep, which turned it into a challenging workout for the short distance. I really enjoyed the lookout tower at the top because it led to a beautiful view. Parking was free, but heads up—don’t expect to turn into a street that leads to a parking lot. Parking was right on the side of the highway, so be careful when pulling in and when leaving. All in all, I enjoyed this hike!

Quick, but somewhat steep. Trailhead right off of highway 2.