Heybrook Lookout Trail

Heybrook Lookout Trail is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Index, Washington that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

From Everett, E on US 2 to mile marker 37. The trailhead is on the North side of US 2 near mile marker 37, opposite a big national forest entrance sign

11 minutes ago

Nice short hike but I would probably rate it as moderate rather than easy. It's short but a pretty decent rise in elevation. Beautiful forest with lots of moss. Didn't get the full view from the top since it was a cloudy rainy day but was still quite nice.

Great trail! Excellent view point in the end.

Beautiful moss wonderland, a just-achievable good climb up! We didn't need poles and could walk the perimeter in the dirt the last half-mile-- the very final steps were deeper snow and a bit tricky but navigable with sneakers on. Fog started to come in but still got a peek of Mt. Index-- stunning!

Good, quick little hike to end the day coming off another trail.

Great hike. Went Sunday the 22nd. Beautiful views. Fog came over when we made it up the lookout, but it was still worth it. I would've waited but my little son was on my back and wanted to get him back down the trail. Micro spikes and poles would have been nice, but it is doable without. My wife had sneakers and made it with a couple slips, no falls. I had just regular hiking boots with no problems. Just be smart about where you step. We will definitely be back.

Great hike with spectacular views. Trails were understandably muddy and icy which made it slow going but it was very much worth it. Very dog friendly!

Would go again! Fast shipping! A+++++!

Loves this hike. Has a strong elevation with mostly nice steps or wide path but there are rocky areas. The lookout has great views and nice for kids and pets.

Love this hike, it's very easy the elevation is gradual the whole way. I have osteoarthritis in my knees and had no problems going up or coming back down but I do use trekking poles which does help tremendously on the way back down any hike I do. My friends and came up here to watch the sunset, the sky was clear and the sunset was beautiful. It did get dark very fast after that and had to use our headlamps the last half of the trail. It was still very easy to navigate.

A short hike with a very nice view. This is a lot of fun but could be troublesome for those with bad kness.

I encountered a black bear near the peak of this hike at 7am this morning. Always remember who lives in the wilderness & use safety precautions.

it was a challenging hike for our younger children and a few points of concern for safety, but it was worth it. it is definitely not a beginners hike, the almost 1,000 ft of elevation climb in such a short distance was rough.

This is a perfect hike to take your family on or any new beginners! Gorgeous view on a sunny day and very fun hangout spot on the very top.