Heybrook Lookout Trail is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Index, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Short, but steep climb offering stunning views from the top.

Perfect hike for a short day trip. I was out and done in less that two hours. That was with enjoying the views and taking pictures along the way. I want to come back and do this in the snow! Also I had two small dogs with me and they did just fine :)

Relatively short easy hike. I went while it was raining so going up in the beginning can be muddy and slippery so be careful. Views were incredible from the lookout even on a semi foggy day.

Sheltered forest hike on a well maintained trail. Beautiful view on the lookout.

Nice short hike. I was concerned it might be steep and hard work for my ten year old daughter who has not hiked much, but she handled without any difficulties. We ate lunch at a little picnic table below the tower and enjoyed taking in the views. The trail was well maintained and definitely seemed to be a nice place for people with dogs.

Ehh

Well maintained, light traffic, beautiful and not a huge commitment. I had trekking poles but didn’t hugely need them. No sign of bears, just an odd amount of slugs drying in the sun. Easy parking, free and no way to get lost.

Up, up, and up. It seemed to never end. I have done longer hikes with more of an elevation gain, but this one hits you very fast and strong. Someone else suggested poles, I agree and wished I had brought mine.

Nice short hike, great view! Would do again!

We did this with the kids. They are 8 and 10. They loved it. We saw Bear skat and tons of fell trees. I suggest bringing bear spray or carry a bag of cayenne pepper just in case. The view is incredible!!! Great family hike!

it was easy to spot this trail-head. And also quite short kind of a hiking for me.Just a few switchbacks and you will be there in a heartbeat.
View top of the tower was beautiful . Renting out top portion of this tower can be great idea but that will be the only reason i can come back to this trail again.

This should be considered a Moderate trail.

This is way harder than expected. The entire first half of the hike is straight up and then you have to go straight down. Bring your poles. Beautiful view but exhausting.

Great hike with a view! Parking is easily accessed from the freeway, had no issues with finding a spot. Trail starts to the left of the parking lot and has a sign-in board. Be prepared to work your stair-master muscles as the trail is loaded with what seems to be improved steps from stones and logs. Dont be afraid! The trail isn't too technical, just a few switchbacks. Along the way you may notice the traffic is quit heavy depending on the time of day you decide to head out. I decided to catch the sunset so I started at 1900 to get some, hopefully, good pictures. After a mile of up-hill I came upon the tower and another couple on the very top. Scaling the stairs I was anxious to get to the top but noticed that the access was closed off to the top portion. I didnt ask the couple on top to open it as I assumed that they were renting the tower for the evening. After an hour of waiting I was able to get my setting and snapped a couple of shots before deciding to head back down. Other than the highway the area is virtually quit and the added ambiance of birdlife is very abundant. Which of course adds to the overall greatness of its location. Overall, with an out and back of two miles total, the hike is worth the view of the ranges. Very kid friendly depending on their skill level. And if age is just a number and not a factor take the time to hike this trail. I'm sure you'll find something to enjoy along it's way. Cheers!

Parking is directly off the freeway trail starts out with a decent incline the whole way. Was somewhat overcast day but still enjoyed some peakaboo sights. Great hike for beginner or with dogs.

Great hike! It was steep, which turned it into a challenging workout for the short distance. I really enjoyed the lookout tower at the top because it led to a beautiful view. Parking was free, but heads up—don’t expect to turn into a street that leads to a parking lot. Parking was right on the side of the highway, so be careful when pulling in and when leaving. All in all, I enjoyed this hike!

Quick, but somewhat steep. Trailhead right off of highway 2.

This one definitely kicked my butt, but was a great challenge for getting back into shape. I’d highly recommend getting there as early as you can tolerate. It got really busy by 8:30am.

Beautiful trail and met some great people along the way. Like others have said, it’s pretty steep so we took our time heading up top. Recommend going early and packing lunch to have before you head back down the trail!

nice climb to the top, maintained trail and great view once you get to the outlook. We went early to beat the crowds.

If you’re a beginner, you might find this trail a little challenging even though it is considered easy. However, it is a very short hike with a steady incline and the views at the top are SO WORTH IT!

The trail is dog friendly but it might be a little tricky getting them up top to the lookout tower. I had to carry mine because the gaps between the stairs tripped him out but we made it and it was breathtakingly gorgeous.

I went on a Wednesday afternoon and there was plenty of parking—not a lot of people.

There is a picnic table at the top, too.

Make sure you make it up there on a clear sunny day...you won’t regret the view.

... ideal hike if you are short on time but feel the need to stretch the legs ....

nice trail, not too long, not a lot of obstacles gorgeous view.

not that easy but great views

Enjoyable hike, with a wonderful reward at the top. Great views of the Cascades from atop the ranger station.

Hike should be listed as moderate, the incline is fairly decent with not much let up.

A perfect little hike! Should be rated moderate, as it is a steep incline most of the way up, but the view from the top of the lookout building is more than worth it. I would do it again in a heartbeat

Beautiful day up there! A little muddy in places but not bad at all.

Steep hike but not difficult. A lot of snow at the top and too slippery for just tennis/hiking boots. Had to turn around because we didn’t have the best shoes for compact snow and ice.

Amazing views! Short, steep hike

Little muddy this time of year. Pretty lookout however it was cloudy today so it would be even better during the spring /summer! Quick hike & a good workout!

Gorgeous views!! Did this today 1/15 solo with my three dogs. Short hike, but it got steep quickly. No snow or ice, muddy on a few spots, but nothing too crazy.