Heybrook Lookout Trail

Heybrook Lookout Trail is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Index, Washington that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

From Everett, E on US 2 to mile marker 37. The trailhead is on the North side of US 2 near mile marker 37, opposite a big national forest entrance sign

Hiked 6/18 after completing a 4 mile trek at Wallace Falls (about ~15 drive west). The trail was in good condition, albeit a little muddy after the previous day's rain. As other hikers have mentioned, this trail is nothing but up, up, up - right from the get-go. At a brisk pace, it took me about 30 minutes to get to the top of the trail and just another minute or so to climb the firetower. It was a very cloudy/overcast day and the view therefore wasn't as picture-perfect as I would have hoped - but I still found the view to be great. Even as cloudy as it was, I could still see Bridal Veil Falls and snow-capped mountains nearby.

I'd recommend pairing this hike with another in the area (especially if you're traveling from far away), as it's very short and simple. If it's a cloudy day, know that the view may be hit-or-miss.

Up hill the entire way to the tower. Dog friendly if they can climb steps and stairs. Beautiful view on a sunny day! Hiked on 5/21/17 2:20pm-3:50pm

This was a quick and fun trail. Views are fantastic from the top of the lookout and is dog friendly. Google maps was incorrect with directions...do not turn at distillery, trail is actually on hwy 2 across the street from river. Will definitely come up again :)

Says 1.9 mile but sure didn't feel like it! Highly recommend! The view is breathtaking. Make sure to go on a sunny day! Parking was a little weird and the start of the trail is to your left!

Great hike! Got there a little after 7am on Memorial Day and there were already about 5 cars there. Tons of dogs and some kids. Incline from the start up to the clearing to the tower. Nice lookout areas and decently maintained trail. Not too many bugs and definitely went before it got too hot today. Took me about an hour to get to the fire lookout (I took my time with lots of stops and taking pictures) and about 20 minutes on the way down. Some muddy conditions but nothing too bad. Great hike for a clear, sunny day.

I love this trail because it's a quick trip that has amazing views and will get your cardio in for the day. Easy trail to take with the dog, I've hiked it in May and January. May is perfect time of year for the best views and it's not too hot. January be prepared for some icy patches and snow around the top.

Amazing view! Also dog friendly

We are Heading up there now, will let you know when we get back. So far I have heard great things.
Just got back, We hit this trail with no Expectations and It delivered.
On a Sunday afternoon we knew there would be a few people on the trail but dang...there were two separate groups of youths and maybe campers, there were tons of folks. Everyone we met were friendly and courteous. The Hike Up was pretty much a stair step machine but worth it. The views from the top were well worth the congestion.

It's somewhat steep through the switchbacks and then it levels out for the last .3miles of the hike. Going down was a breeze. The views from the top of the tower are incredible.

The length use easy but there trail is steep, muddy in places. Well worth the climb