Hex Mountain Trail

Hex Mountain Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roslyn, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,631 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Good conditions for a hike today. 70’s and dry. Trail is well marked and maintained.

The. First two miles of this trail go along a forest road. Dusty and not much shade. Look for the cairn on the right about 2 miles I and then it becomes an actual hiking trail. View of lk Cle Elum is nice. Stopped half way and decided to call it as it was overcast so the top view would be limited. Will not do again. Too many other great hikes!

Trail head is essentially a dirt driveway in which it is unclear if you need a NorthWest Forest pass. Luckily I didn’t get a ticket. The route up was pretty steep as noted and the views were incredible. I docked this route two stars because of what appears to be an erroneous 0.2 mi path that on the map that does not exist. This route is an up and back only. The 0.2 path that appears to make a big loop is a lie! We had to continue down and popped out on the highway about a mile and a half from our car. See photo for more clarity.

Easy to navigate trail with a lot of wild flowers, several views of the lake and the beautiful peaks to the right of the ridge. Keep in mind that it could get very windy at the top.

Hiked this trail today, weather was beautiful, most of the snow is gone, nothing technical. Wildflowers are starting to bloom, new growth coming in to cover the fire damage. Views on top are spectacular.

Cool hike. My friend and I were itching to summit a peak by the end of our Spring Break (late March). We didn’t have any snow gear but were too stubborn and were willing to suffer for it. Completed in just under 4 hours with a break at the top - no snowshoes or spikes but my friend had poles. The entire route was mostly compacted slightly wet snow but we definitely slipped/slided/sank our way and even fell over a few times, especially going down. It was super fun despite getting a whiteout at the top, and we were completely wiped by the time we returned. Solid workout, good views on the way up. Would absolutely recommend snowshoes but it still can be done. Spikes would have made it less of a burden but our feet were still punching through pretty regularly. Would love to come back in the Summer and get the real summit view.

We chose to use microspikes the whole way up and snowshoes the whole way down to make coming down the slush easier. Be sure to watch the GPS since it is easy to miss the sharp right onto the trail itself, you will see the Hex Mountain trail sign on the right.

Simply a gorgeous hike! Road to the area was free of snow and dry. You have to park long the road and walk a bit up the road to the gated trail. Snow was very compact so we did not need snowshoes, but microspikes worked well. This trail can be very windy, so we always bring layers. However this particular day was very mild and sunny. Great view of Rainier and Stuart. The last push to the peak is super steep. We all needed poles on the way down for balance. I could tell that some people had been glissading, but with so many trees in the area that was not an option for me. We did see cougar tracks along the trail. Several areas. So be careful out there! Hike in groups. Definitely coming back in the summer for better views of Cle Elum Lake.

dog friendly with several false summits. parking is somewhat limited on the weekends. great views of the Stuart range, view of Rainer.

private property

Went on this hike today and it was beautiful! A little tough getting up the mountain but the views were worth it! We also ended up taking a different path that veered off of the hex mountain trail which ended up being a mile shorter which was perfect. Great hike!

This was a fun, but challenging snowshoe!! The distance listed was a little off however. From the road that you have to start on due to snow closing the forest road, the total out and back distance was ~7.75Miles. It is a trek uphill, but the view at the top is ABSOLUTELY worth it. There are a couple of false summits so don’t be fooled. The view at the top is panoramic.

We started up at 5 am to see the sun rise. Up through light snow and thick frozen clouds. At the ridge we were above the clouds and it was beautiful. 24°. Took our dog and we were alone the entire hike, perfect! Real cold and windy up there but so worth it. Not that hard a hike, I’m 68. Took snowshoes but only needed spikes the entire way. Great views!

Tue Aug 14 2018

The views at the top were amazing, perfect day. I gave it 4 stars because it was longer than the listing says. There was lots of downed trees on the trail through the burned areas. Great to see nature re growing. The trail is steep. I would recommend hiking poles. Loose gravel, soot and dirt making it difficult for climbing and descending. We found ourselves off trail for better footing at times. We came across a dear and lots of singing birds. We parked at the yellow gate. The trail head is exactly 2 miles in from the gate. At the 1st y stay to the right at the 2nd y stay to the left and the 3rd y stay to the right. It was really cool hiking the ridge lines.

Mon Jun 11 2018

***COUGAR SIGHTING*** Hex Mountain is another hike I didn’t get to finish, but that was because my aunt and I encountered a COUGAR about 3/4 on the way up!! I was about 30 feet away from it when it crossed my path, going towards my dog. Luckily, no one was hurt (even the dog didn’t see it) Thank god we also had bear spray on us in case it were to have approach us. It was very scary, but an amazing experience!!

Thu Jun 07 2018

Nice trail, difficulty was higher than expected, looks easier on paper. Once reached the peak, I decided to make this a loop by continuing onto the ridge and down the other side of the valley. On the map there is a connector trail over the creek. Unfortunately there is no such trail and I had to continue through the bike park onto the main road and loop back from there. If you don't mind 17k distance, it was actually a nice loop. Just don't expect to be able to meet the beginning of the trail up like I did. June 3rd 2018

Thu May 24 2018

Starts off fairly easy walking a logging road slowly gaining elevation. Once you hit the hex mt. trail sign on the right, the Work begins. Fairly steep with Steady elevation gain for about 2 miles. Trail was decent most of the way up. Once you hit the top, the views are great!! Lots of bear tracks and plenty of deer to spot. Will definitely do it again when we’re in town.

Tue Feb 20 2018

Hex Mountain trail 1343 Our group of 5 began hiking around 10:45am on February 17th. to see a short video I put together on the hike with conditions click this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bppp_yM3yaM There was about 4inches of snow on the ground and still snowing there was a winter storm warning and high wind advisory. Also the yellow gate was closed preventing you from driving all the way to the trailhead so you had about a 1 3/4mile hike to the trailhead. Once we reached the trailhead there was one other hiker ahead of us. In about another mile the winds picked up severely I put on my face mask and gloves. About two miles above the trailhead we met the hiker who had turned around we put on our snowshoes as the snow was very deep but still the wind was the biggest difficultly. About 300ft from the summit and the whole hogs back ridge was extremely windy and was a sheet of ice. We were having trouble moving and getting tossed around by the wind, we estimate the wind was around 60mph. We reached the top of Hex Mountain around 3pm. Once we got back into the trees the wind died down a bit but was still severe. The rest of the hike was a easy down hill hike and we arrived at the vehicles around 6:15pm. Again if you would like to see footage of what the trail looks like click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bppp_yM3yaM But overall the hike was fun. But I would recommend this to experienced hikers that have access to snow shoes or crampons and are very good with map and compass for there is no visible trail for 6 1/4 miles. Be safe out there, NW Adventures

Mon Jan 29 2018

I unfortunately forgot to push record for this trail. But it took us about 2 hours to reach the summit. I hiked this about 2 weeks ago in January in the snow. There were people who wore their snowshoes but we opt to wear just our spikes. They worked just fine. The trees were still charred from the wild fires we had in August of 2017. It was very mystic and eerie but beautiful the whole way up.

Mon Jan 22 2018

This snow shoe was a five start hike on a two star day. We had winds on the ridge as well as at the summit. We had no views either. I am not sure I would do this as a hike though. This is meant to be a snow shoe in my opinion. On WTA people seem to miss the trail. Maybe they need this app. I am guessing if your on here you dont miss the trail part up the ridge. The hike has a steady elevation gain and incredible views when its clear. Consider bring a shovel if you come on the weekends so you can park OFF the road so its safe.

Mon Dec 11 2017

A bit of snow, not quite enough to warrant the snowshoes I carried up. Beautiful views above the layer of fog.

Wed Oct 25 2017

This is my homecourt trail and I hike to Hex at least once per month. The only downside is the existence of excessive trail cutting caused by the single celled throttle jockey (motorcyclists). They are destroying the terrain by cutting the switchbacks all the way up the mountain! Update, Hex Mtn was burned in the Jolly Mtn. fire in 2017. There are many snags remaining, be careful!

Mon Jul 17 2017

great hike. nice views and good trail. dusty and overgrown in one section, but didn't spoil a great day

Sat Jul 15 2017

Starts on a wide dirt road for first 2 miles. Then transitions to Hex Mt Trail that is narrow and steep. Somewhat difficult to see the transition to the trail as you are looking at the view of Lake Cle Elum at the same time. Amazing views at the end (Stuart Range , Mt Hinman, Mt Daniel) and even view of Mt Rainier at ~ mile 3 on a clear day. My gps had it 8.2 miles round trip and it took 3.5 hours.

Mon Jan 02 2017

Great hike !

Mon Jul 04 2016

I didn't see another person on this snowshoe trip, which means it's great, and there are great views.

Sun May 08 2016

Loved this hike, not another hiker up there! starts out easy then gets into the moderate level about half way. My gps said it was 8 miles out and back. Some trees down on the trail but otherwise in great hiking condition. Views are spectacular!