Hex Mountain Trail

Hex Mountain Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roslyn, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The views at the top were amazing, perfect day. I gave it 4 stars because it was longer than the listing says. There was lots of downed trees on the trail through the burned areas. Great to see nature re growing.

The trail is steep. I would recommend hiking poles. Loose gravel, soot and dirt making it difficult for climbing and descending. We found ourselves off trail for better footing at times. We came across a dear and lots of singing birds.

We parked at the yellow gate. The trail head is exactly 2 miles in from the gate. At the 1st y stay to the right at the 2nd y stay to the left and the 3rd y stay to the right.

It was really cool hiking the ridge lines.

***COUGAR SIGHTING***

Hex Mountain is another hike I didn’t get to finish, but that was because my aunt and I encountered a COUGAR about 3/4 on the way up!! I was about 30 feet away from it when it crossed my path, going towards my dog. Luckily, no one was hurt (even the dog didn’t see it) Thank god we also had bear spray on us in case it were to have approach us. It was very scary, but an amazing experience!!

Nice trail, difficulty was higher than expected, looks easier on paper. Once reached the peak, I decided to make this a loop by continuing onto the ridge and down the other side of the valley. On the map there is a connector trail over the creek. Unfortunately there is no such trail and I had to continue through the bike park onto the main road and loop back from there. If you don't mind 17k distance, it was actually a nice loop. Just don't expect to be able to meet the beginning of the trail up like I did. June 3rd 2018

Starts off fairly easy walking a logging road slowly gaining elevation. Once you hit the hex mt. trail sign on the right, the Work begins. Fairly steep with Steady elevation gain for about 2 miles. Trail was decent most of the way up. Once you hit the top, the views are great!! Lots of bear tracks and plenty of deer to spot. Will definitely do it again when we’re in town.

Hex Mountain trail 1343

Our group of 5 began hiking around 10:45am on February 17th. to see a short video I put together on the hike with conditions click this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bppp_yM3yaM There was about 4inches of snow on the ground and still snowing there was a winter storm warning and high wind advisory. Also the yellow gate was closed preventing you from driving all the way to the trailhead so you had about a 1 3/4mile hike to the trailhead. Once we reached the trailhead there was one other hiker ahead of us. In about another mile the winds picked up severely I put on my face mask and gloves. About two miles above the trailhead we met the hiker who had turned around we put on our snowshoes as the snow was very deep but still the wind was the biggest difficultly. About 300ft from the summit and the whole hogs back ridge was extremely windy and was a sheet of ice. We were having trouble moving and getting tossed around by the wind, we estimate the wind was around 60mph. We reached the top of Hex Mountain around 3pm. Once we got back into the trees the wind died down a bit but was still severe. The rest of the hike was a easy down hill hike and we arrived at the vehicles around 6:15pm. Again if you would like to see footage of what the trail looks like click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bppp_yM3yaM But overall the hike was fun. But I would recommend this to experienced hikers that have access to snow shoes or crampons and are very good with map and compass for there is no visible trail for 6 1/4 miles.

Be safe out there,

NW Adventures

I unfortunately forgot to push record for this trail. But it took us about 2 hours to reach the summit. I hiked this about 2 weeks ago in January in the snow. There were people who wore their snowshoes but we opt to wear just our spikes. They worked just fine. The trees were still charred from the wild fires we had in August of 2017. It was very mystic and eerie but beautiful the whole way up.

This snow shoe was a five start hike on a two star day. We had winds on the ridge as well as at the summit. We had no views either. I am not sure I would do this as a hike though. This is meant to be a snow shoe in my opinion. On WTA people seem to miss the trail. Maybe they need this app. I am guessing if your on here you dont miss the trail part up the ridge. The hike has a steady elevation gain and incredible views when its clear. Consider bring a shovel if you come on the weekends so you can park OFF the road so its safe.

A bit of snow, not quite enough to warrant the snowshoes I carried up. Beautiful views above the layer of fog.

This is my homecourt trail and I hike to Hex at least once per month. The only downside is the existence of excessive trail cutting caused by the single celled throttle jockey (motorcyclists). They are destroying the terrain by cutting the switchbacks all the way up the mountain!

Update, Hex Mtn was burned in the Jolly Mtn. fire in 2017. There are many snags remaining, be careful!

Monday, July 17, 2017

great hike. nice views and good trail. dusty and overgrown in one section, but didn't spoil a great day

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Starts on a wide dirt road for first 2 miles. Then transitions to Hex Mt Trail that is narrow and steep. Somewhat difficult to see the transition to the trail as you are looking at the view of Lake Cle Elum at the same time. Amazing views at the end (Stuart Range , Mt Hinman, Mt Daniel) and even view of Mt Rainier at ~ mile 3 on a clear day. My gps had it 8.2 miles round trip and it took 3.5 hours.

Monday, January 02, 2017

Great hike !

Monday, July 04, 2016

I didn't see another person on this snowshoe trip, which means it's great, and there are great views.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Loved this hike, not another hiker up there! starts out easy then gets into the moderate level about half way. My gps said it was 8 miles out and back. Some trees down on the trail but otherwise in great hiking condition. Views are spectacular!

Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Amazing. Great experience all the way to the top : )

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Great views of Stuart and surrounding range. It's a 10 mile snowshoe in winter if you take the road and start from the lower gate. The TH proper isn't accessible in winter. No one on the trial. Snow machines use the roads too. Worth doing, demanding shoe, easy summer hike. Snow probably clears in May.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

recorded hex mtn loop snowshoe

Monday, January 16, 2017