Hex Mountain Trail

Hex Mountain Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roslyn, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hex Mountain trail 1343

Our group of 5 began hiking around 10:45am on February 17th. to see a short video I put together on the hike with conditions click this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bppp_yM3yaM There was about 4inches of snow on the ground and still snowing there was a winter storm warning and high wind advisory. Also the yellow gate was closed preventing you from driving all the way to the trailhead so you had about a 1 3/4mile hike to the trailhead. Once we reached the trailhead there was one other hiker ahead of us. In about another mile the winds picked up severely I put on my face mask and gloves. About two miles above the trailhead we met the hiker who had turned around we put on our snowshoes as the snow was very deep but still the wind was the biggest difficultly. About 300ft from the summit and the whole hogs back ridge was extremely windy and was a sheet of ice. We were having trouble moving and getting tossed around by the wind, we estimate the wind was around 60mph. We reached the top of Hex Mountain around 3pm. Once we got back into the trees the wind died down a bit but was still severe. The rest of the hike was a easy down hill hike and we arrived at the vehicles around 6:15pm. Again if you would like to see footage of what the trail looks like click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bppp_yM3yaM But overall the hike was fun. But I would recommend this to experienced hikers that have access to snow shoes or crampons and are very good with map and compass for there is no visible trail for 6 1/4 miles.

Be safe out there,

NW Adventures

I unfortunately forgot to push record for this trail. But it took us about 2 hours to reach the summit. I hiked this about 2 weeks ago in January in the snow. There were people who wore their snowshoes but we opt to wear just our spikes. They worked just fine. The trees were still charred from the wild fires we had in August of 2017. It was very mystic and eerie but beautiful the whole way up.

This snow shoe was a five start hike on a two star day. We had winds on the ridge as well as at the summit. We had no views either. I am not sure I would do this as a hike though. This is meant to be a snow shoe in my opinion. On WTA people seem to miss the trail. Maybe they need this app. I am guessing if your on here you dont miss the trail part up the ridge. The hike has a steady elevation gain and incredible views when its clear. Consider bring a shovel if you come on the weekends so you can park OFF the road so its safe.

A bit of snow, not quite enough to warrant the snowshoes I carried up. Beautiful views above the layer of fog.

This is my homecourt trail and I hike to Hex at least once per month. The only downside is the fact that all of the single cell throttle jockeys are destroying thd terrain by cutting the trail in places all the way up the mountain!

Update, Hex Mtn was burned in the Jolly Mtn. fire in 2017. There are many snags remaining, be careful!

great hike. nice views and good trail. dusty and overgrown in one section, but didn't spoil a great day

Starts on a wide dirt road for first 2 miles. Then transitions to Hex Mt Trail that is narrow and steep. Somewhat difficult to see the transition to the trail as you are looking at the view of Lake Cle Elum at the same time. Amazing views at the end (Stuart Range , Mt Hinman, Mt Daniel) and even view of Mt Rainier at ~ mile 3 on a clear day. My gps had it 8.2 miles round trip and it took 3.5 hours.

Monday, January 02, 2017

Great hike !

Monday, July 04, 2016

I didn't see another person on this snowshoe trip, which means it's great, and there are great views.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Loved this hike, not another hiker up there! starts out easy then gets into the moderate level about half way. My gps said it was 8 miles out and back. Some trees down on the trail but otherwise in great hiking condition. Views are spectacular!

Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Amazing. Great experience all the way to the top : )

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Great views of Stuart and surrounding range. It's a 10 mile snowshoe in winter if you take the road and start from the lower gate. The TH proper isn't accessible in winter. No one on the trial. Snow machines use the roads too. Worth doing, demanding shoe, easy summer hike. Snow probably clears in May.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

recorded hex mtn loop snowshoe

Monday, January 16, 2017