Heliotrope Ridge Trail

Heliotrope Ridge Trail is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Deming, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,988 feet Route Type: Out & Back

skiing

Note: You need a valid Recreation Pass in order to hike this trail. Please note that during winter the road leading to the trailhead may be closed. Check with the USFS before visiting.

Runoff was pretty high yesterday. No getting to the glacier.

bridge out

Some snow at the top but amazing views of the Glacier

I was fortunate enough to see the Glacier and, gotta say, it was an emotional experience to see it. So long as the Glacier creek runoff aren't too high, you should have no issue getting there. Today there was a dusting of snow. Would recommend and I hope to come back again!

well maintained trail. There is snow about halfway up the hike, but not a lot and none yet on the road up. River is flowing slow enough that crossing without taking off shoes is possible which was a huge relief, it is cold up there! Poles still help lots. It was snowing on our way down. Amazing views of the glacier

Trail was muddy when I went, but it was still well maintained. Trecking poles and water sandles would make the creek crossing easier. This is my favorite hike!

I was here about a year ago and was fortunate enough to be completely alone the entire day. A beautiful hike up to and along the glacier if you go a bit off trail. Even had a mountain goat hanging out with me for a bit of it. Took some beautiful pictures throughout the day as the lighting changed on the mountain.

Be ready to cross a few creeks and to get into the water up to your knees. I brought sandals and had hiking poles, they made the crossings pretty easy.

This trail has been my list for a number of years. It was beautiful and the trail was in great condition. The water crossings weren’t that bad and the third crossing was up to the middle of our shins. All of this is totally doable.

One of the most rewarding hikes out there. The views along the way are fantastic, but the glacier at the end is the goal. I would do this hike again in a heart beat. My gps tracking showed about 2k in elevation, but I wouldn't rate this as HARD. More like a High Moderate due to stream crossings. If it is raining or drizzling expect muddy trails and higher water levels at the streams.

Hiked this today (8/31) so I want to give a full review! Road: I was really concerned about driving in my little Toyota Yaris hatchback as I had heard the road could be tricky, but genuinely did not have any issues at all. It’s pretty much all paved, minus a few small sections, and a few potholes you can easily avoid. Saw others with smaller cars as well - high clearance definitely not needed for this (at the moment anyway). Took me about 25 minutes one way for 8 miles. The water crossings: okay so they suck. The first two are very doable (except a made a wrong step on the way back and dunked my whole foot haha); the third one is really tricky; the fourth one isn’t too bad. I used poles, and managed to avoid getting my feet wet the first two crossings, but the third has water about 12 inches deep. It is absolutely fucking freezing!! My feet were so numb after getting through it. If you don’t have water shoes, go barefoot - you can’t keep your boots on for the third one. They will not dry but your feet will! Others were doing the same thing. The rocks are surprisingly not sharp or anything; they are pretty flat, which I was concerned about as I have super pansy feet hahaha. I took a small towel with me, which I found a good thing to have to dry my freezing feet afterwards. Extra socks would have been a good idea too. Poles really, really helped out a lot! I would not personally take dogs or children across the third crossing (and there’s no point doing the others if you can’t finish the trail), but I did see people doing it. Most of the dogs seemed very unhappy... The rest of the trail: truly incredible views!! It’s in the forest for the most part, until it opens up about 2 miles in. It is a bit muddy sometimes, but not too bad! Thought it would feel steeper than it did. Very easily followed until you get to the ridge, where there are a lot of little trails branching out everywhere. You can go a lot farther than the initial viewpoint - I went up maybe an extra 20 minutes until the trail sort of stopped. Great place for lunch. I started at 9:20am and only saw four people on the way; saw likely over 100 on my return, so get there early!! 2 hours up, and 1 and a half down. Oh, and a forest pass is needed for your car!! There is NOT anywhere to buy one there, so get one beforehand. Hope this is helpful for someone with questions like I had earlier :)

Trail is well maintained. Glaciers as usual deliver when it comes to scenery

Fantastic hike. Ignore what it says in the trail description about the access road being closed-this was in 2013. The access road is clear. We were happy we brought water shoes and poles to ford the penultimate glacier stream. People were getting by on bare feet or with full hiking boots, but we were glad we were prepared. The final stretch on the alpine area and then the view of the glacier is stunning. Mountain was mostly covered in clouds but we still got to see it. 5 hrs total hike, including some breaks for food and pox, and of course fording that ice-cold stream! Also, please people, no music on trails. Most of us come here to enjoy nature and not the sounds of other people’s playlists. I really don’t get this. We met two people who were playing music. Use headphones, be considerate.

Great trail, other than Creek crossings not that difficult.

Amazing trail right up to glaciers on Mt. Baker. Bring Tevas and poles for fording the creeks; binoculars and your camera. Hiking is moderate. You enjoy waterfalls, blue glacial ice towers, close ups over Baker, scrambling to better view the glaciers, cool walking in the woods, lots of wildflowers, abundant water. We had views up to Mt Garibaldi and Marquand, in Garibaldi Park, north of Vancouver. Spectacular hike.

Summited Mount Baker last week using Alpine Ascents as our guide company. Highly recommend this climb for beginner mountaineers. It was so beautiful on the climb up as well as at the summit!