Heliotrope Ridge Trail

Heliotrope Ridge Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Deming, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

2063 feet

snowboarding

In 2013 there was a washout on the access road. it is possible that this road is still out. this adds a 7 mile hike to get to the trailhead. Call the Glacier Service Center before planning a trip on this trail. (360) 599-2714

Hiked today to Heliotrope ridge.
Road to trailhead is in excelent condition and mostly paved with asphalt, so you can get there at any vehicle. We arrived around 2 pm since we thought it would be less clouds after noon, but weather today was mostly cloudy and foggy. We didn't see even mt Baker. It was around 7/8 cars at trailhead.
Trail itself is ok, but very wet and muddy all the way, waterproof boots is a must. I brought a lot of gear, but used hiking poles only, espcially it might be helpfull to cross big creek in the middle of trail. Snow begins at second half of the trail and it looks packed pretty well, I postholed just twice. Once we left forest we were fooled with footprints to the climbing route and climbed couple slopes up, after that we've seen glacier from left side of us and went there through snow fields, which is feels packed well, but there are some streams underneeeth, so be careful anyway. When we reached glacier view point we ate put lunch, took some photos of glacier and marmot and went down. Definetelly need to come back here with good weather

My favorite hike so far. Definitely worth the effort.

After I learned the Skyline Divide trail was inaccessible, I came up here for a hike. Most people park along the road leading up to the trailhead, which does have parking spots but is hard to access.
The trail is a bit muddy/wet (due to snowmelt) or snowy, depending on where you are on it. There are plenty of footprints on the trail to follow up until you break through the treeline. At that point, the footprints on the snow went in several directions. Luckily I had a GPS to help me re-find the trail and forge a path to the glacier overlook. I stopped on a large outcropping with a clear view of the glacier. Be warned that the snowfields you have to cross can be steep at times, so take your time going up.

Otherwise, a gorgeous day for a hike (or skiing, if you want!)

I did this years ago and it's my favorite so far in this area! Now that I'm in better shape this is my goal!! Doing soon!!

Nov 15, 2016 - we arrived well prepared for anything but pulling into the trail head parking lot with no snow in sight and the rain coming down, we figured we could leave our snowshoes behind. Started in rain jackets, turned to a light snow for a few minutes and then the sun came out about halfway in and the fog disappeared! We hit snow in the last 30 minutes but hikers were sufficient and poles kept us upright when crossing the rivers and dodging icy rocks. The big river crossing was a breeze compare to when I hiked this in July. Gorgeous to see the glacier with snow all around! Took us about 1.5 hours up, same heading back down as we were a bit more cautious descending the snow section. I consider this a pretty easy hike for elevation, good one to take if you don't have time for a long day or your taking someone newer hiking (provided they are ok with the river crossing) The trail was well maintained and very easy to follow in the tree covered areas. It will be harder to see in the snowy open areas so keep this in mind! The road was in pretty good condition. My Honda Civic had no issues.

A very well beaten path leads you to the glacier overview. We started the hike later in the day and still made it back before the temperature dropped too much. There are a few river crossings, the farthest of them is by far the most difficult but it looks like there are better places to cross further upstream.

Quick hike, the grade was reasonable and the glacier amazing. There is a few creek crossings that may be more difficult earlier in the summer but this time of year weren't a problem.

My 9-year-old practically ran up this hike, he is in great shape! Took my family and spent about 3-hours round trip. Awesome old-growth trees, some work on the trail, lots of switch-backs, great views of the mountains, amazing waterfalls. The last creek to cross was too much for me, but my brother & dad made it across and the glacier views are worth crossing (their photos were incredible)! I saw a few dogs packed in backpacks to cross the moving water (no bridges, expect to get wet!), and many folks used poles for assistance. It was a busy day of hikers. Scenic views all around! You have to get your pass to park at the Rangers station, and there's a "toilet" trail which consisted of a wooden box, so bring your toilet paper. Temperatures chanted from 60 degrees in Glacier to 50 degrees when we parked at the trailhead and hiked up. Be sure to wear layers and boots to get wet/muddy, as the water crossings are more like jumping across rushing water!

So beautiful! Hard time getting past that last creek and the flies were annoying but nothing too difficult