Heather Lake Trail

Heather Lake Trail is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Granite Falls, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,194 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

partially paved

The road to the trailhead is full of large potholes. There's a pretty good incline right out of the parking area. Levels off in some spots which helps with catching your breath. Some sharp rocks, so sturdy shoes are helpful. The lake is beautiful. There's a boulder that overlooks the lake and makes for a great place to sit for lunch or just lay back and relax. There's a toilet once you get to the lake (go left). Lots of dogs on the trail.

Nice short trail, awesome view at the lake.

I’ve always loved this trail! Got up there around 11:30 10/08/19 just one other car at the trail head. Had the trail to ourselves which was nice. Wear waterproof boots it’s a hike through water, slick rock and mud. We got there when it stayed hailing and left when it started raining, but over all it was the perfect day for a short hike. It was beautiful and quiet at the lake. I also made it up the road in a sedan go slow and steady. I only bottomed out twice

Beautiful trail. The scenery at the top made it well worth the climb. Lots of water on the trail - often it feels more like hiking a stream than a trail - so make sure you've got your boots! Hiked the trail early October and was treated to hail at the top :D

*as I was driving the pothole riddled road heading up to the trail a coyote was walking down the road- beautiful creature. *lotsa water on this trail for the dogs here in October- bring your boots, cause they'll keep your toesies comfy on the trail as you cross the many creek beds. *lovely forest setting throughout the hike- easy grade for the two miles up. *beautiful at the lake, especially, I think, in the fall. *campsites at the top if you came up for a night or more. *lotsa people on this popular hike. *wonderful afternoon....maybe i will come again when there is snow predicted.....

Awesome hike! Recommend an early morning on a weekend to avoid crowd. Potholes on the road up are sizable but can get around them. I drove a corolla up and was fine. Just go slow! Brought my fly rod. Tons of fish surfacing but not biting any of my flys. Not sure what they’re after. Would recommend waders or a floaty to get best fishing. Also would recommend a sunny day. Rainy would make road and trail very challenging.

Definitely a super technical hike.

Overall, I did enjoy this hike. However, out of all the trails I’ve hiked in WA so far, this was one of the least-maintained, by far. A lot of roots, rocks, mud, and running water to traverse over. Going up was a steady incline, the hardest part being the last stretch where you’re climbing steep stairs and rocks. The end was beautiful and seemed to be well-planned with a worn trail and a wooden walkway around part of the lake. It’s easy to lose your footing going back down with already-muddy boots and slippery rocks, so be cautious. Also, I did read about the drive to the trailhead but didn’t think it’d be too bad... it was bad. My Honda Civic bottomed out a few times because of the crazy potholes all over the road. It’s a good 5-10 mins (depending on how slow you take it) of rough road to the trailhead. Needs repaving in the worst way!

easy hike and we tried to fish there, but there were none! Beautiful location def worth going to if you’re looking for a quick hike !

Great out and back trail with an even better view at the lake. Better than Lake 22 nearby.

Dog friendly trail. Wear good waterproof boots as we had to walk through a lot of running water and it was very muddy. Of course we went on a day with one of the wettest September’s on record. Lots of rainfall this month but not today.

Heather Lake hike is the perfect hike if you are wanting to get outside but don’t want to spend your entire day hiking. It’s the perfect length with an amazing view at the end. You can walk around the lake and take in all the views. Getting to the trailhead there were some pretty large pot holes but nothing too crazy.

Great hike, however it was a bit much for our small kids.

I loved this trail!! I went on a rainy day and it was so beautiful. The trail is moderate only because most of the trail is rocky or roots and was very slippery and muddy on a rainy day. Definitely good sturdy hiking boots. The road in was pretty rough due to the potholes but my Toyota Corolla managed just fine if you go slow and maneuver around them. Heather lake was stunning! Would definitely do again

I would rate this more of an easy hike than moderate. my girlfriend and I finished it with no problem, just have good hiking shoes for the rocks and loose gravel. Great views at the lake. We took a Scion TC with a pretty low body ground clearance, it made it there fine, just maneuver around the pot holes slowly.

Holy potholes! I’ve never seen the road in such bad condition! Once past that, the hike was beautiful, a little wet today but such a pretty lake. The wet conditions definitely made it a moderate hike, with slippery rocks and wet feet.

Good hike, nice lake, not a lot of people on the trail as we started about 8:30 am. It was quiet on the lake with many spots to stop off for lunch. Lots of roots and rocks on the trail for stepping on the way up, making it a fairly easy and quick hike.

Great hike today. Yes, the road sucks and can take some time for cars (my Jeep was awesome), but the hike...beautiful. Wet in some spots, rocky in others, steep at times and then lots of flat trail. I was disappointed in myself that I didn’t pack a floatie for the lake. My dog enjoyed some swimming. Lots of people on a weekday, so I’d imagine even more during the weekend. Glad to get this hike crossed off my list!

As many mentioned before, the road to the trailhead is full of large potholes. Toyota Highlander handled it well. It's a pretty good incline right out of the parking area. Levels off in some spors which helps with catching your breath. Some sharp rocks so sturdy shoes are helpful. The lake was beautiful. There's a boulder that overlooks the lake. Great place to sit for lunch and just lay back and relax. There's a toilet once you get to the lake (go left). Lots of dogs on the trail.