Heather Lake Trail #1526

Heather Lake Trail #1526 is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Leavenworth, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,368 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Lake Wenatchee: Take National Forest Road 65 west to Forest Service Road 6701. Turn left onto 6701 and continue on this road. Approximately one mile beyond the Theseus Creek Campground, take a left at the Y onto Forest Service Rd 400 and follow for 2 miles to the trailhead.

shorter hike, great on hot day. nice campsites but one in particular on creek through trees is amazing

Only hiked part way up. The tilting log bridge was a little too scary for me. There is a (somewhat loose) bungie rope to help steady yourself, but it failed to give me confidence. It was no problem for my husband, though, who is an experienced hiker. Up to that point, the trail was not very strenuous, was very pretty and enjoyable. Saw a deer. There were a few mosquitoes, not too bad yet. Some spots of the trail were overgrown. There is a pit toilet at the trailhead. We were the only people there on a Monday between 9 and 11 am.

Hardly any mosquitoes!!

Friday, September 21, 2018

What a beautiful hike! The weather was perfect for a September day, the trail well marked and the lake pristine as imagined. I hiked this by myself with a dog and made it to Heather Lake in 1.5 hours. When we finally reached the lake she was as still as glass! Within twenty minutes the wind came and changed that view. I hiked Colchuck last week, Heather Lake was much easier for me, and I hike regularly. Once a week. Would highly recommend.

Friday, August 17, 2018

6 of us went in on Thursday, August 9. I backpacked this trail 6 years ago. I did not remember it being as difficult as it was this time. ( 6 years older and now out of shape). The trail was in very good shape. We did not see anyone along the trail. 2 of our group scampered up the trail. They made the hike in 3 hours. The rest of us reached the lake in just over 6 hours. Wow! Once there we had the place to ourselves. The flies were bothersome. Bug spray handled them ok. Huckleberries were ripe and right in the camping area. Two of us hiked to the other end of the lake and found an abundance of berries along the way. We hiked in on the hottest day of the year. Friday was very nice. Saturday it rained. Very hard at times. Oh yeah, this is when the 2 of us were at the other end of the lake. Totally soaked from head to foot. Used our camp stoves to help dry our boots. Sunday morning was misty and brief little showers. Hiked out in 3 hours. All in all it was a fantastic trip and so worth the hike in.

Monday, July 30, 2018

Great hike! Beautiful views even along the way. Would recommend you wear shoes you don't care about. Hence it is quite muddy. Nonetheless if you want less traffic keep walking down. There's a beautiful boardwalk and blue water. Have fun!

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Beautiful hike! hard work but only for a small part of the hike! It is actually 7 miles round trip. Be sure to bring bug spray! Mosquitoes are pretty bad.

Monday, June 25, 2018

Fun hike with a beautiful lake at the top. Worth the climb! Still a bit wet and swampy in places. Only a few downed trees to maneuver around. Bugs not too bad.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Beautiful forest trail! Heather Lake is worth the hike!

Thursday, October 20, 2016

I have hiked this trail many times, but never this late in the season. We were wet and cold but saw many mushrooms and much water on the trail, one "pond" of significance. We went on a Saturday and only saw one other party. It took us a little over 2 hours each way.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

It was a challenge but we ran into gemologist who told us about all the garnets in the river. We found a full bag of garnets! The hike was fun for the kids and when we arrived at the lake, it was beautiful! The rocks have garnets all woven in.

Friday, June 17, 2016

The lake at the top is beautiful for sure and the hike is so worth it. the trail is actually 3.3 miles one way, so round trip it's almost 7 miles. There is a lot of trail complications right now (June 17th, 2016). Much of the upper trail is swampy, washed away in very steep areas, and the last 1/4 mile is covered with giant fallen trees which make this hike only for experienced hikers.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

We tackled this trail in January. The bottom portion of the trail was melting but the upper half had plenty of show for snowshoeing. Will have to come back to hike this trail during the summer.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Went on this trail instead of the one in Granite Falls by mistake. However, it's well worth the drive to a trail not well known by most people. We didn't make it all the way up to the lake, but the waterfalls on the way up is really spectacular.

Thursday, September 12, 2013

We don't do a lot of trail hiking, we typically stick to exploring around our campsites and short hikes. Although we have hiked a few other trails. We like to camp out of the way when possible explore new areas. We found the Heather Lake Trail head when camping down the FS road it is on. We decided to to give it a try. I have allergy/exercise induced asthma and there were some steep areas on the trail. So I did have to stop and take breaks on the way up. But it was so worth it at the end! When we reached the end of the trail and saw Heather Lake it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen! We went back to hike it the next year, but it was early summer so we couldn't get to the top of the trail as the snow had not completely melted and the trail was not visible. So I recommend going up mid to later in the season. Going at a time when you can reach the lake is worth it!

Saturday, September 15, 2018