Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Heather Lake Trail

Heather Lake Trail is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Granite Falls, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

partially paved

From Granite Falls, E (left) for 12 miles on Mountain Loop Highway, Right on Pilchuck Road for 1.5 miles to trailhead

47 seconds ago

Great hike , start before sunrise less people . Great ending especially later in summer lake is full.

Muddy and Rocky most of the way up. Slick coming back down, but the lake is worth it!!

Arrived at 3pm on a Saturday and it was busy but not crazy. It looked like a lot of cars had left from earlier in the day. The snow has all melted, but the trail was muddy and I was walking through a lot of puddles and streams along the way. Lots of roots and rocky areas along the trail. The lake, surrounding mountains, and waterfalls at the top are absolutely beautiful.

The lake was beautiful! Friendliest trail I've been on in WA. Almost every group we passed greeted us, wondering if they were from out of town... something needs to be done about the potholes...no cell service either so if something did happen to the car we we've been in big trouble.

Great hike. Beautiful scenery the entire way. The lake and surrounding mountains, waterfalls all around, absolutely Gorgeous. Yes there are crater sized potholes on the road up. Pay attention, drive slowly while using evasive action and you, and your vehicle, will survive.

Got there at 7:30 only 3 cars there, nice hike up. I could see some spots being considered intense for some beginner hikers. Only downfall was we went on a cloudy day, and once we got to the lake... we couldnt see a single thing. It looked like we were in the movie the fog lol. Got back down at 10 and there were a billllllllion cars! No spots left, so ppl were parking on the pot hole filled road.. OH the potholes... just as bad as everyone below me wrote, last for about 7 mins but maneuverable

Hiked this trail 5/11/19 for the second time. Definitely a quick hike for a beautiful reward. We didn’t start the trail until around 5:45 PM, but we made it back to the car as the sun was setting even with spending plenty of time relaxing at the lake. There were lots of bugs at the lake so come prepared! Also be cautious of the numerous pot holes in the service road leading to the trailhead. Enjoy!

It was really good! Every turn was somethng new and beautiful. Pretty magical. It's only 4.5 miles out and back. The lake is gorgeous and inside a cove of mountain Almost like your in a volcano! Good for kids as well. Highly recommend it! crazy potholes. I bottomed out 3x going super slow! so be careful. still some snow, watch your footing near the end as there is a lot of mud and snow that you get soaked in. end view is amazing! best to go in the morning before the crowds.

The lake is totally thawed and there is not much snow. You can walk around the whole lake no problem-just a few snow patches. I hiked this trail last year in mid-June and there was way more snow. So conditions are definitely full summer already. It’s a very rocky and root filled trail so keep that in mind when planning footwear. The lake is really beautiful and so worth the hike.

Nice hike yesterday. There are parts where it climbs a bit and you have to watch your footing especially going back down the trail; tree roots are everywhere. Plenty of shade from the trees so you can hike it even when the sun is directly overhead, except when you get to the lake loop. (ATTENTION) If you're driving a vehicle with low clearance be sure to drive slow and maneuver around the potholes as much as possible when you get to the dirt road. I drove a 2017 Prius. Best part of the trail was the lake view. Enjoy.

Very beautiful the lake is lovely. I totally recommended.

beautiful views with easy hike (1.9 miles one way). The trail was all clean but right near the lake was snowy. Your regular hiking shoes will do just fine.

Great hike, beautiful lake!

Arrived at 8am on a Sunday morning and there were only a handful of cars! This trail does require a pass. Beware of the ultra deep pot holes getting to the trailhead. Drive slow! Conditions of the trail were in great shape, there is still some snow towards the last little part of the hike before you reach the lake. Took us, a group of four people to reach the lake in about an hour. Hung out on the lake for lunch for an hour and reached our cars right before noon! Parking lot was full by the time we got down. Enjoyed this hike very much!

Beautiful

There is still snow along the lake. On the trail the final stretch has hard packed snow so make sure you have waterproof shoes

Pretty nice hike! 100% recommended. Nice weather and amazing view. Snow all the lake area.

bridge out

Excellent hike!! I was blown away by the stunning view of the lake with beautiful mountain tops in the background once you reach the top. The massive tree stumps along the way and cool geological features were very neat as well. Once you got the top by the actual lake itself there is still a bit of snow on the ground but it wasn't too hard to walk. Just a little slippery and you've gotta mind your step because if you land wrong you sink down far. A couple of the bridges are a little worse for wear, and I'd recommend waterproof boots bc of the streams and snow, but definitely worth the hike!

We brought our dog and enjoyed the hike. There’s still a little snow at the top. Dino enjoyed swimming. We only saw four other sets of hikers. The pot holes on the drive were intense. The pit toilet looks like it’s rarely cleaned but there was toilet paper.

I also climbed to the saddle so I could see Lake 22. It was difficult and scary, but beautiful!

Loved this trail and the lake is beautiful. The road to the trail has ginormous potholes.

It was good bike and the lake view is awesome.

Trail was great. We got to the trailhead at 12:30 and the lot was full! As previous posters have said, there are tons of potholes on the drive up and they are pretty deep. Most of the trail is either rocky or muddy but both are easy to maneuver. Wear waterproof shoes though. Careful on the bridge a mile in. The board was loose and my husband tipped over! The last part of the trail was covered in packed snow. Stay on the path to avoid potholing. The lake was clear and sun was out so plenty of people were spending time towards that first viewpoint of the lake. Keep walking down the left for some more peace and quiet The trail on the loop around the lake gets lost about halfway through. It was easy to navigate based on previous hikers paths but did get stuck a few times!

I did this hike today with my 4 & 5 year olds and we had a blast from the rocky and rooty terrain that they got to climb up and over, to the frozen lake and the snow. I want to do this again in the summer so I can see the view difference! And it was difficult for my kids but they love hiking so if you have younger kids that are not adventurous probably wait till they are a little older to do this with them.

recorded Heather Lake Trail

Trail was in great shape and worth the trek. Muddy in spots but not terrible. Snow up top for about 150 yards but very passable with decent boots. Stay on track to avoid post-holing. Payout is great. Have fun!

BEAUTIFUL. Perfect moderate hike. Lots of potholes getting to hike so be prepared. Snow was last bit of hike- a lot of it but manageable if you’re careful!

Beautiful hike just too many people for me