Heather Lake Trail

Heather Lake Trail is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Granite Falls, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,194 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

partially paved

From Granite Falls, E (left) for 12 miles on Mountain Loop Highway, Right on Pilchuck Road for 1.5 miles to trailhead

the day selected to hike this place was wrong. it was too foggy at the top. we could not see anything. b the trail condition was muddy and sliperry. one of my friends was wearing sneakers, but definitely not suggested. the road to the trailhead was terrible. so many potholes. beware of that

Beautiful easy hike. Well worth it. The drive to park is very sketchy and bumpy.

Beautiful hike Bugs at the lake Muddy at places where the water flows

Easy trail. Beautiful view at the top.

The trail in actually better shape than the road with totally sucks. Today, the were lots of low clouds until we got to the lake you couldn't see much.

Not much of a trail going in, but always beautiful at the top. The road up to the trail head is the worst I have ever seen it, low clearance vehicles go slow and you will be just fine maneuvering over and around the potholes. The trail is wet and muddy in spots making the rocks extremely slippery. Bugs were none existent.

The road to the parking lot is full of big holes. But the hike it self is absolutely stunning. Did it with my dog and had a great time.

Trail was fairly busy for Father’s Day. I wore some Nike Free Run shoes and was able to navigate with no issues but there were a few spots where only areas to step were slick rocks. The road in is extremely rough with major potholes right now, so bring an SUV or truck with more ground clearance if possible or you will be scraping the suspension of your car. Lake view was awesome.

Was great for me and the dogs! A fair amount of water on the trail, but the loop around the lake at the top is spectacular!

This was a nice hike to a beautiful lake with a nice backdrop of jagged mountains surrounding the lake. The trail is muddy in some spots and after a rain or in the spring I can see where it would be very muddy. At these time you would want a good pair of waterproof boots. Bugs were non existent along the trail, but once you got to the lake the flies became a nuisance. We arrived at 7 and there a few cars in the parking area, when we left at 11:30 the area was full and cars were parked along the side of the road for a quarter of a mile.

Heather Lake doesn’t get the attention of its neighbor Lake 22, but it’s nearly as beautiful and the hike up to the lake is a bit less rocky than Lake 22. The lake itself is gorgeous - clear water, a great alpine setting and waterfalls in the distance. The road up to the trail was rough but only for a half mile or so.

Completed 6/11. Enjoyed the variety in scenery on the trip. Trail makeup also varies- forest bed, crushed rock, larger rocks/rockfalls, tree roots, waterfalls. Quite a few big steps up/down. Was extremely muddy on later portion. Very wet and was slippery, particularly coming down. Saw about 5-6 other parties. Pretty lake. Some bugs on trail toward end and around lake but not bad at all.

Beautiful lake, great workout. We went on a Tuesday morning and only saw two other people on the trail on the way up. The mileage posting is off, from the trailhead it states the lake is 1.9 miles up, however per our pedometers we clocked closer to 3 miles.

The rolling uphill climb is worth every step. On a clear day like today, the woods open up to an expansive view of the beautiful mountain lake — dwarfed only by the impressive vertical rock faces that surround the entire lake with green grasses, waterfalls and snow caps. Make sure to take the trail all the way around the lake - It’s well maintained and there are some good spots for dipping your toes into the water or jumping in! Have fun!

The road leading up to the trail was filled with potholes, so I would definitely recommend a high clearance vehicle. The hike itself was good, just very rocky and muddy in spots. Just a warning, there’s a lot of mosquitoes at the lake.

Nice~~ a little crowded. despite this the day cleared up after about noon thiugh we went in earlier from the most. gorgeous lake views. Potholes like everyone else warms. NO JOKE. The lot will be full likely on the weekend but plenty of people parked on the side of the road, np.

The road to trailhead is littered with potholes, proceed with caution. High clearance vehicle recommended, but not required. We arrived to an almost full parking lot at 8:00 on Saturday morning, which was surprising considering most of Mountain Loop Highway was engulfed in a bed of clouds. Trail condition overall was muddy, as expected from the torrential downpour we received just the day before. Most of the path is rocky intermixed with exposed root so watch your ankles. If you didn’t bring boots, expect wet socks. The trail gets increasingly muddy as water trickles down and across the footway. Once we arrived to the lake, there were little views due to cloud cover. After finding a nice spot to grab lunch, the clouds slowly dissipated as the once foggy lake uncovered itself. A towering Mount Pilchuck revealed itself to the lake showing off its grand demeanor. By 11:00, the clouds had lifted giving us beautiful views spanning across the lake and up towards the surrounding mountains.

HUGE potholes on the road in. Don't understand why our park fees can't fix this. Path up has big difficult steps up in areas- good for tall long legged people. I would rate it moderate plus. Wear boots! Bonus-We saw a smallish black bear and the lake and views are beautiful

I went last Saturday around 2pm, and had no trouble finding parking! I know people always recommend getting there early, but the afternoon seems to be the most clear. We also had a good portion of the lake to ourselves once we got to the top. The view was amazing.. such a great view that you don’t have to hike very far to see! The trail itself was beautiful with little streams, rocks and tree roots that really add to the scenery. We have had a pretty rain free week so there were only a few small muddy patches that were no problem with hiking shoes, but easy to avoid for my friend who was wearing sneakers. It took about an hour and a half to go up, an hour at the lake and an hour to come down, so about 3.5 hours total. Highly recommend for all-level hikers! *BEWARE OF LARGE POTHOLES! Nothing my Subaru couldn’t handle, but they are so big and almost impossible to avoid*

Beautiful hike, but get there super early! We arrived before 8 and on our way down, there were huge crowds of people on their way up. The parking lot was completely full too. The road to the trail is terrible and everyone with not lifted vehicles was bottoming out.

not my favorite hike. I will not be doing this one again. A majority of the hike is rocks, mangled tree roots and has constant water streaming down the trails. Be prepared for wet feet before you get to the top. Wet rocks and tree roots make for an incredibly slippery trail. Please be careful

I did this hike after I did the hike to Lake 22. I would say this was a pretty decent hike. The road up to the trailhead was absolutely beat up. I’m from Minnesota and I have not seen potholes that big before. If you are going up in a low clearance car you definitely need to drive very slowly. Even in a high clearance car, I would proceed with caution. I would recommend hiking shoes or boots for this hike. It can get a little wet and slippery in some areas. Overall, it was a nice hike and I would recommend it to anyone.