Hardy Ridge

Hardy Ridge is a 12.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Saint Cloud, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

An off-the-beaten-path Gorge hike with good view or two.

Definite do again hike when we have better visibility!! Make sure to do the out and back at the top, that’s the ridge line!! I saw lots of maps that skipped it. Pretty muddy right now but still a fantastic hike!

Super wet day which made the Ridge very brisk and breezy! Gorgeous views throughout the whole hike. Would definitely pick this over Hamilton Mtn! Can’t wait to go back again in summer time.

I went up this trail for the first time today. At the fork I went left and up the West Hardy Ridge trail. Essentially the trail summits at a ridge, and then descends on the East side, so you can return using the East Hardy Ridge trail. There was a bit of snow up there today so I decided to return the same way I came up. Overall, much of the hike is on a wide equestrian trail except the final part that takes you over switchbacks up to the top of the ridge. Other posters have mentioned this, but I believe the “loop” as in walking the East and west trails back to the parking lot of closer to 7.5 miles, not 12. I think if you include the upper Hardy Ridge trail you could get to that mileage.

Not a great hike for a rainy day but will be back on a better day.

Great hike. We hiked the west loop and it is 7.2 miles (the 12 mile hike probably includes the east loop as well). It is a hike up to the top of the ridge on one side and down on the other side. We did it clockwise (south side facing the Columbia river first) and the incline is steep in the last half mile going up. It was 3.4 mi going up and 3.8 mi down. We did it the day after thanksgivings and the temperature was perfect (low 50s). My wife is not a hard core hiker and we did it at her pace in 3h 14 min (1.9 mi/h going up, 2.4 mi/h total avg. Very enjoyable trail!

First time checking this trail out. Didn't know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised how nice it was. If you just do the Hardy Loop it's closer to 7.5 miles than the listed 12. A bit of a climb in the beginning but not too bad. Awesome Fall colors out right now. The viewpoint offers a great view of the Columbia River. It was a beautiful clear day and you could see Mt. Hood as well as Mt. Adams peaking out over the lower mountains. In total taking the Hardy Ridge Loop and the extra bridge loop took my group about 4.5 hrs.

Access by turning north on Kueffler Rd off Hwy 14 just in front of the Beccon Rock State Park Ranger Station. One mile up there is an entrance labeled "Equestrian Access", follow that dirt/gravel road for .25 miles to parking lot. Trail entrance is at the road gate.
Nice hike, first two miles I hiked were on a decommissioned old access road, gravel and then layered with pine needles. Beautiful fall colors this time of year, plenty of leaves and fallen branches from recent storms. About 1.2mi up the road the trail branches off into the west Hardy Ridge Trail, lower Hardy Ridge trail or a trail that leads to the Hamilton Mountain trail. I took the west side for he views but hard to see the views through the trees. Not complaining though, I wouldn't want anyone to cut down trees so we can see more views of the gorge. There are plenty of other hikes in the area that offer that. This trail is a nice hike with good elevation gain, away from the freeway and railroad noise. Saw lots of wildlife and for two hours I was the only one up there on a sunny Monday morning. Will definitely do it again! I only hiked in 2.5miles so there's lots more to see!

Trail ran this starting from the east side and descended on the west side. 75% of the trail is equestrian and rocky, not much of a view until trail narrows at the top but good for a training elevation gain run. Very quiet, only car in parking lot on a Tuesday. Glad I did it but probably won't again.

Great trail! The ridge is gorgeous with much less traffic than Hamilton Mountain. FYI This loop as mapped is only about 8 miles.

This trail has a great view at the top on a clear day. Getting to the top for me was nice but mostly walking through trees with very little view.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

great views and a good workout.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

I would rate this moderate, but I'm old ;-) The first mile is a steady but pleasant incline. It's true there are no spectacular vistas, but I was out for fall color (there was some, will be better on a few weeks). The breeze/wind was delightful.

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Want to see big views of Adams and Table Mountain, then look down on Hamilton while surveying the Gorge? I did too--but it was foggy. So instead I slogged in the rain.

Hardy Ridge is a lesser-known ridge and trail loop that can connect with Hamilton Mountain and is close to Beacon Rock. It has plenty of gain and distance, though a lot of the lower part is on old and wide 4x4/equestrian roads.

Treat it as a lasso/dog-leg loop, but add a 1mi out and back straight north to hit the summit (map in pics). Done this way, you'll get a couple thousand feet of mellow gain, at least 8mi, and a cool ridge to hike at the end. There's a little leg burn and some (brief) steep and rocky sections with poor footing, so you may want to leave Mee-Maw and Pop-Pops at home on this one. Fat Aunt Margaret can make it though, and so can little Timmy. Bring your rottweiler Mr. Pickles along too if you like--just don't let him bite anyone this time.

It's a decent hike. On a sunny day with a dash of wildflowers, it could even be more than decent.

recorded hardy ridge