Hamilton Mountain Trail

Hamilton Mountain Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Stevenson, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,050 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This was a beautiful hike in early November. The trees changing colors were marvelous. I logged just under 7 miles from parking lot to the top. Pool of the Winds was a lovely surprise. It gets crowded up to that point but slows down after the falls. It is uphill the entire way to the top. Many switchbacks and some scrambling. Well worth it to see Hood and Adams at the top on a clear day. Definitely a top five hike for me.

Went on a rainy day so it was pretty muddy but it was worth it. Wouldn’t bring kids on it though.

recorded Hamilton Mountain Trail

Not a bad option if you’re looking for a relatively quick hike. I wouldn’t recommend bringing children younger than 10. It got pretty steep near the top, and I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable bringing small children, but to each their own. I hiked all the way to the top and was pretty unimpressed with the view at the very top. It was mostly just bushes. The real views are on the rocks near the top. There’s little trails that lead off the main path and have nice views. It was a little muddy, so I’d recommend sturdy boots. There is a $10 fee to park, but it has a ticket machine so you don’t need cash.

Great trail! Beautiful and well maintained! We followed the trail exactly and our fitbits told us it was a little over six miles, so be ready for a little extra push

Did this trail on August 1. Good hike. I took the steep way up and the longer but shallower descent down. I preferred that route but it came out to 8.2 miles.

Unfortunately it was rather foggy the morning we climbed this trail so the views at the top were completely missing. Most of the trail is well kept, though areas at the top were overgrown. Definitely some steep parts as you climb, with no real relief in ascent until you reach the summit. You will need a discover pass to park, or you can pay the daily fee. Arrive early to avoid running out of parking space, especially on a weekend!

an easy/moderate hike to a beautiful view. Keep going past the waterfall, it gets better.

Nice there / back hike though I'd love to look at the loop mentioned by others. A lovely small waterfall, decent views of the gorge, well maintained facilities at the parking lot. The trail can get dry and lose towards the top so be prepped for a very very short scramble.

A playground for kids at the bottom and working bathrooms and sinks. Right next o Beacon Rock and requires a discover pass. Almost full parking around 3pm in july but it died down after. mostly shady and nice views of the forest and waterfall. We did not go past the waterfall, but were told it is harder that way. No good for biking or if it rains, it is mostly uphill and has tree roots and rocks. Medium difficulty uphill, Easy back downhill but you might have to let people pass you or visa versa. You can respectfully climb down to the rocks under the waterfall. It splits to 2 viewpoints close to the waterfall, then splits up to the pool and down water.

It is a steep climb up to the top and I wouldn't recommend for beginning hikers. The falls are a nice treat along the way and the views were spectacular. There are a lot of flies at the top but not many along the way, no fallen trees and mostly very well kept trail. There were only a couple spots where the trial was starting to get over grown.

It's been 9 months since I've been up this way and after having complete Smith rock back then, I wanted to do one of the longer harder trails back up the hill so to say. So I got early made my way out to Hamilton Mountain and did the basic 3.4 miles(each way) hike. The first 2 miles or so were really pleasant. All up hill, but mostly on a good grade of trail. This takes the hiker past falls and you'll start to lose many of the hikers. But after 2 miles, the trail become rocker and the up hill changes to higher grade so to say. Along the way too, you'll find the trail splits and it's easy to find that you've left the trail, which isn't always bad, and usually let you see more expansive views and none really that long either. But I found that if I looked for what I'd call the human touch to the trails I'd stay on trail more easily. The trail back down was pleasant and by the end, I was surely exhausted from it.

recorded Hamilton Mountain Trail

Moderate is a good description. Most of the way there is uphill, with a few spots that are extra rocky requiring you to climb up vs. just walking. Most of the way back is downhill though making for a nice descent. No view at the top.

Full disclosure: I am a newish hiker, meaning I didn’t really begin hiking in earnest until last summer and while I’ve enjoyed challenging hikes in terms of distance (8-15 miles), I’ve largely avoided big elevation gains and exposed terrain due to my overwhelming fear of heights. After having a handful of really difficult moments while hiking Herman Creek -> Nick Eaton -> Gorton Creek a few weeks ago, we decided to do this hike, but instead of doing the more difficult “front” route, we went back through the woods using the Hardy Creek Trail, crossed the Equestrian Trail, took the Upper Hardy Trail to Don’s Cutoff Trail, which reconnected to the Equestrian Trail right before the Saddle. We walked across the Saddle, marveled at the views, and had lunch before heading back down the way we came. It gave me a chance to experience heights using trekking poles — which was a total game-changer, fellow heights-fearing trekkers! — while still giving us the mileage and some strenuous climbs. All in all, we climbed over 2000 feet, hiked ~9 miles, and still got to experience the summit while also still getting to traverse some trickier terrain (a couple wash-outs and a large rock slide). Don’s Cutoff was especially beautiful as a dark forest trail with so much moss and trees and some steep sections that were challenging in terms of heartrate, but completely manageable. Overall I felt that this route would be a moderate rating, with moderate to difficult only in the places that had lengthy elevation climbs that kept your heartrate up. As with most trails in the Gorge, you’ll want to show up early if you want to park at the trailhead (and if you want to do the hard hiking work in cooler temps!) We ended up parking at the bottom of the hill across Hwy 14 near Beacon Rock and walked to the trailhead, which added ~1-1.25 miles to our overall mileage. A couple of awesome things — there are proper bathrooms with running water and soap at the trailhead and at Beacon Rock where we parked. Also, there’s a seemingly random, very clean vault toilet located on the Upper Hardy Trail, about halfway between the Equestrian Trail and Don’s Cutoff. It was the cleanest, most smell-free vault toilet I’ve ever encountered!

Did the long way up via Hardy Trail and Don’s Cutoff. Didn’t see a single person that way, highly recommended versus the overcrowded switchbacks going up. TONS of flies at the summit, so many that I didn’t even stop. Coming down the front was tough, slipped a few times on the rocks. If you want to avoid crowds start no later than 8am.

Trail was well maintained but crowded with people and their fur babies on the way up to the falls. A bit of a scramble the last mile and a half up to the summit but well worth the sweat and struggle. I'd come here again but not on a weekend to avoid big crowds.