Hamilton Mountain and Rodney Falls Trail

Hamilton Mountain and Rodney Falls Trail is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stevenson, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

$10 parking fee for day hikes. One of the most popular climbs in the Columbia Gorge with great views of both Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams and the Columbia. This is a wonderful climb in the Columbia Gorge with great views from the many cliffs and ledges near the top of Mt. Hood, Adams and the Columbia River. There is a side catwalk trail you can take along the way and even a beautiful waterfall with bridge viewpoint. Please note that this trail crosses with several other trails. To avoid getting lost, look at route map and use GPS.

Need discovery pass or pay $10 for day pass. Super snowy! Bring crampons and poles

Great hike for early morning, as noon comes around there is a lot more traffic. Bathrooms are closed right now but there are honey buckets.

Beautiful day today. Did full loop with amazing views. Saddle is worth seeing past hamilton mountain summit. Light wind , heavily trafficked from 10am on.

Did this a couple weeks ago. Beautiful albeit windy day for a Gorge hike. It’s incredibly popular, so weekends at peak time (10-3) won’t provide any solitude. And parking can be a frustration. *Requires day fee or Discover Pass*
Trail was well-maintained. Some parts were a little muddy, but definitely manageable. Light scrambling makes it fun!

Uphill to start—leads to a couple cool spots to get a look at the waterfall—then uphill some more. And some more. And add in a bunch of switchbacks. Definitely happy I brought my hiking pole! Views nearing the top were beautiful—views at the summit weren’t much different, but you CAN see the tippy top of Mt. Hood on a clear day!
Either go back down the way you came or continue toward the rugged road on the backend to loop it back to the waterfall.

I highly recommend this hike. It’s one of many great trails in Washington.

Who else got out to the Colombia River Gorge today I wonder... this somewhat easy 8 mile lollipop loop has a good climb at the front end for getting your legs strong and a less severe decent for hikers with bad knees like my hiking companion For today’s climb. We do this hike with some regularity, especially since the Eagle Creek Fire closed down many of the trails on the Oregon side of the Colombia that we are fond of. I don’t feel the need to review this trail per say.. there are plenty of other descriptions out there already, but today was exceptional! A foggy drive and low cloud layer on the drive from Portland obscured the incredible hiking conditions and dazzling views that greeted us as we climbed up and above the low clouds on this unseasonably mild January morning. What greeted us was sixty degree weather, dazzling sunshine and an incredible view of the Gorge fills with low clouds and conjuring up speculation about what a similar view might have been like during the Mazama floods that filled the Gorge with scouring floodwaters four hundred feet in depth at the end of the last ice age. Memorable day! Be sure to take Dons Cutoff

Brutal at times, but a good payoff. I recommend going counter clockwise. You’ll lose the elevation over a longer period of time and save your knees.

Also, stop at the viewpoints along the way. The summit view (though you can see two mountains) isn’t the best view along the trail.

01/13/2019
Arrived at 8am on a Sunday to only a few cars in the parking lot. Did the full loop with my dog and was back at my car by 10:45am. Passed a few people on my way up but otherwise only came across one other person the entire hike, until I got back to the junction and went the last mile ish back down the main trail, at which point there were lots more people and a full parking lot.

Towards the top parts of the trail were quite wet, some patches of snow all over the top but not much. It was extremely windy - actually quite dangerous considering some of the ridges. My 30lb dog was blown about five feet sideways and I thankfully had her on the leash. The guts would’ve knocked me over if I weren’t braced against them. I recommend avoiding this hike if the Gorge is windy on arrival.

The upper half of the hike has a lot of rocky / semi-scrambling parts. Hard on the knees but nothing like Munra Point or some other areas of the Gorge. I imagine these areas would be tricky if the ground were at all icy.

Overall great hike, good views at the top. Just get there early to avoid crowds.

The full loop is a TOUGH 8 mile hike with elevation of 2200 incline and decline. Amazing views and worth every minute. Dog friendly.

Dog review: This trail was the perfect length for a moderate outing. Took my four dogs and I about four hours. The way up can be a little sketchy with dogs because it’s steep and slippery this time of year. My guys have great leash skills so getting everyone up steep switchbacks and walking on narrow areas wasn’t a problem, but could be for a dog in training or inexperienced pup. Though the trail up has a couple steep switchbacks, the way down is wide and even suitable for horses, VERY easy if you have dogs. Way up is alright as long as you have good control. Only a few rocky areas, no booties needed for my guys. Lots of puddles and streams so you can pack less water than normal for the pups.

Fun hike on New Years Day. Not at all crowded early but quite a few people later in the day making their way up.

Good hike. The early on waterfalls after 1 mile in were the highlight of the hike for me. A little muddy due to the rain around this time of year.

I’d rate it as moderate-hard.

This is one of my favorite loops for a scenic, slightly challenging day hike. It’s not too muddy yet, but high traffic areas around the Pool of the Winds are getting there. Be sure to pack a coat, as well as some gloves and a hat for the summit; there’s already some snow accumulation, especially on the north face of Hamilton Mountain.

Great hike! Beautiful views. My 7 year old daughter was able to hike it, but she is a pretty determined kid.

Awesome hike today - took about 4 1/2 hours . Waterfalls early on awesome - and Vistas at top are killer . Howling winds yet could find reprieve along the way. Nice workout. Had to use hands bit for balance along some rocky switchbacks - very doable. Nice side shoots to explore - especially up near the rocky parts.
Very repeatable hike - will come back in spring.

new favorite for sure! definitely plan to take 3 to 4 hours in order to complete the full loop. fall is my favorite time to hike in the gorge and so long as it hasnt been raining heavily for a few days prior to your hike the paths should still be easy to navigate. love the view from the top, absolutely incredible! worth every step!

A friend of mine and I took a few of our children - 9,12 & 14ish and they all did really well, with minimal whining. There were a couple of steep switch backs, but not quite as steep or intense as the nearby "Dog Mountain." The views from the top were not as incredible as Dog Mountain, but they were nice. I do agree with some commenters who brought out, there is really no good place to sit and have lunch at the top. The "saddle" or ridge of the trail was super windy and pretty fun for our kiddos. There are a couple of pretty awesome waterfalls and "The Pool of the Winds," which was pretty cool.

Nice little workout to the summit. If I did it again I wouldn’t do the loop, just out and back to the false summit for some decent views.

False summit view is incredible on a clear day, but the view from the top is terrible. This is my least favorite hike in the Gorge.

Just okay. The hike is fun. A nice waterfall after 1 mile. Some cool view points to stop at on the way up, but the view from the top is not great. A lot of underbrush has grown y’all and block the view. No place to sit down and rest at the top. Also, SUPER crowded and if you don’t have a Discover Pass it’s $10 for a day pass.

It kicked my ass for sure but was fun. Tons of area to explore along the hike and off trail. Also tons of people doing just that. The waterfall was neat though there are some seeming well traveled side trails that lead to nowhere and no view - dont go downhill to the right just before the fall - not worth it! I was a little bummed once we reached the summit that there was no 360* view. It was pretty, it was nice to be out, it was nice and close to Portland - but for the effort there are better payoff trails.

Probably one of my favorite hikes ever! We did the full loop. The waterfall was really beautiful as well! Will definitely be back!

I climbed up the steep side first and looped around to hardy falls trail and pool of the winds. I suggest poles and be prepared for using your hands a few times. the best views ever. super awesome work out!

Amazing hike.

Did the loop that goes up Hamilton Mtn Trail to the summit -> ridgeline -> equestrian trail -> hardy -> Hamilton Mtn Trail.

It is super steep and most of the people I saw had poles. There were a lot of people with their dogs and women carrying babies in backpacks, so it wasn't TOO crazy. It is definitely steep, though. Especially near the summit (some hands required..).. and for that reason I wouldn't recommend going up the reverse route, because you'll have to come back down the hamilton side which I think is more dangerous than going up. Either way, breathtaking views, challenging hike. Worth it!

My favorite hike in The Gorge.

Amazing views, hard workout! I love that it’s a loop. We climbed up the hardy creek trail and then looped around to Hamilton Mountain. I think a lot of people hike up the other way straight up to the view point, but that would have been too steep of a climb for me. The long way around through hardy creek is much more gradual. Going down the mountain was a bit hard on my knees, but besides that, the trail was in excellent condition.

Beautiful views of the gorge, but best views are at turn offs prior to reaching Hamilton Mountain summit (which actually doesn’t have a view bc it’s blocked by shrubs). The waterfall at the beginning of the trail has a great swimming hole too - will definitely try it out on a warmer day.

Awesome hike with beautiful views.... 9.5 miles if you make the loop.

nice area. well marked trail with reasonable view points and water features early on.

note:
-$10 parking for a day hike...
-the horses statement is incorrect, that is another trail