Hamilton Mountain and Rodney Falls Trail

Hamilton Mountain and Rodney Falls Trail is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stevenson, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

$10 parking fee for day hikes. One of the most popular climbs in the Columbia Gorge with great views of both Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams and the Columbia. This is a wonderful climb in the Columbia Gorge with great views from the many cliffs and ledges near the top of Mt. Hood, Adams and the Columbia River. There is a side catwalk trail you can take along the way and even a beautiful waterfall with bridge viewpoint. Please note that this trail crosses with several other trails. To avoid getting lost, look at route map and use GPS.

Just okay. The hike is fun. A nice waterfall after 1 mile. Some cool view points to stop at on the way up, but the view from the top is not great. A lot of underbrush has grown y’all and block the view. No place to sit down and rest at the top. Also, SUPER crowded and if you don’t have a Discover Pass it’s $10 for a day pass.

It kicked my ass for sure but was fun. Tons of area to explore along the hike and off trail. Also tons of people doing just that. The waterfall was neat though there are some seeming well traveled side trails that lead to nowhere and no view - dont go downhill to the right just before the fall - not worth it! I was a little bummed once we reached the summit that there was no 360* view. It was pretty, it was nice to be out, it was nice and close to Portland - but for the effort there are better payoff trails.

Probably one of my favorite hikes ever! We did the full loop. The waterfall was really beautiful as well! Will definitely be back!

I climbed up the steep side first and looped around to hardy falls trail and pool of the winds. I suggest poles and be prepared for using your hands a few times. the best views ever. super awesome work out!

Amazing hike.

Did the loop that goes up Hamilton Mtn Trail to the summit -> ridgeline -> equestrian trail -> hardy -> Hamilton Mtn Trail.

It is super steep and most of the people I saw had poles. There were a lot of people with their dogs and women carrying babies in backpacks, so it wasn't TOO crazy. It is definitely steep, though. Especially near the summit (some hands required..).. and for that reason I wouldn't recommend going up the reverse route, because you'll have to come back down the hamilton side which I think is more dangerous than going up. Either way, breathtaking views, challenging hike. Worth it!

My favorite hike in The Gorge.

Amazing views, hard workout! I love that it’s a loop. We climbed up the hardy creek trail and then looped around to Hamilton Mountain. I think a lot of people hike up the other way straight up to the view point, but that would have been too steep of a climb for me. The long way around through hardy creek is much more gradual. Going down the mountain was a bit hard on my knees, but besides that, the trail was in excellent condition.

Beautiful views of the gorge, but best views are at turn offs prior to reaching Hamilton Mountain summit (which actually doesn’t have a view bc it’s blocked by shrubs). The waterfall at the beginning of the trail has a great swimming hole too - will definitely try it out on a warmer day.

Awesome hike with beautiful views.... 9.5 miles if you make the loop.

nice area. well marked trail with reasonable view points and water features early on.

note:
-$10 parking for a day hike...
-the horses statement is incorrect, that is another trail

Hiked Sept 3. Well-marked, easy to find TH. You need a Discovery Pass permit. Beautiful scenic views of Gorge. This trail should be rated hard, not moderate....

This is a great hike!

Beautiful moderate difficulty hike! My wife, my beagle, my vizsla and I got out just after 8am and completed it in about 3 hours.
It was foggy, misty and rainy for the majority of the hike which created some spectacular foggy scenery and the trails were still barely damp and in great shape! The ascent up a winding trail will certainly test your endurance. One of the highlights of this hike and any comes early, you must take a small side trail to the “pool of the winds”, breathtaking. Once you complete the ascent, you’re rewarded with a wide open catwalk across the ridge line. The descent was smooth, not sure if it was my new Danner boots, but the trail was so soft, almost saw dust like.
Highly recommend! Earlier the better of course, it was super busy as we got back down towards the trailhead. Dog friendly for sure.

I did this hike around 3 weeks ago. There were so many bees. A lot of people got stung. I started the loop turning right and got the the highest elevation point and went back the same way. The map is a bit confusing because it shows 7.2mi total and it looks like the hike is a lot longer if you continue the loop past the highest elevation point. It was late and I turned back and ended hiking 9mi according to my fitbit. If you are doing this hike allocate at least 5 hours (if you are an intermediate hiker like me). Views are really nice and I felt the hike was moderate in difficulty.

Definitely not your everyday "moderate" hike. But really worth it. Took us 5 hours with short breaks in between.

We chose this hike after doing dog mountain a week before. We wanted something of the relatively same difficulty rating.
Tbh, it wasn't as hard as dog, but had its moments. The summit was kinda disappointing since it didn't have any sort of clearing to look at the view. But there are some good views on the way to the summit.
Good hike all in all.

Gorgeous views. Nothing too much at the top but the whole way up you’re rewarded with different terrain and views of the river. Spend some time checking out the rocky formations— super cool!

This trail is on the hard side of moderate. The falls and the views along the way were beautiful. The view from the top of Hamilton was, honestly, pretty disappointing though. The views along the way were so much more rewarding.

Great hike! Had a lot of fun and views were awesome!

Fun and challenging hike. Beautiful waterfall, mostly shaded trail with excellent views. At the top you’ll get a good view of Mt. Adams. On a warm day make sure you have water. Trail is dog (on-leash) friendly but difficult at times if your dog pulls on leash due to the rocky parts and lose rock. Lots of flies/bugs on the trail as you get closer to the top. Restrooms at the trailhead. It was busy but plenty of parking at the trailhead and the parking lot just past the trailhead on the left. Got to the trail at about 8:30-9am. Finished the hike around 1-1:30 with having lunch at the top.

Real steep near the end, but push through it and it’s all worth it. Two separate “peaks” on the mountain. Gorgeous view of the gorge

Loved this one!! I stopped at the top of Hamilton Mountain and came back down, didn’t continue on to the full loop. I will next time because this hike is one of my new favorites! About 4 miles up and down. Would have been about the 7.5 with the full loop.

Starts off steep, levels off a bit, then steep again with switchbacks, then lots of rock/gravel. My little 20-lb dog made it just fine!

Waterfall/pool was cool to explore.

Scramble a bit down some side trails if you so choose for some beautiful views. Then keep continuing up the narrow gravel trail for some gorgeous views of the gorge at the top!!

Did this with little ones. It was a tough one, but so worth it in the end!! Slow and steady

Very nice hike. Best start early or parking will be a problem. Parking cost money too and will require the discovery pass. I did the entire loop and once you hit the peak and finish the cardio portion, it gets to be a very relaxing hike.

Caveat: it was 93 degrees and very dry when we did this hike. However we really enjoyed it; be sure to explore around Pool of the Winds: a unique falls and worth the hike even if that’s your turn-around point

Awesome hike! The viewpoint at the top should be erased from the map unless it counts to look at a bunch of weeds as tall as Paul Bunyan surrounding in every direction. Dough matter though because there are a kazillion amazing views on the way up (or down depending on which way you loop). Make sure to go out the side trails (but be careful) to see all the crazy views. The falls were cool too. I also did the side trip to Little Beacon Rock which I found worth the extra effort even though I was completely exhausted. Did Cape Horn before that for a total of 17 miles, it was 96 degrees, and I hadn't slept a blink the night before. By grace alone I made it through the day so I could wish my friend a happy birthday in the evening at his party (like a zombie).

Love this hike!

Loved it

Unless you have Discover Pass parking will cost $10.00 per day. We did the Hamilton Mtn. trail. It was a pretty decent hike. It was challenging but you can squeeze in a nice break when you reach Rodney Falls. Not quite the halfway mark to the Hamilton Summit but a good 1.8 mi. from the falls to the Hamilton Summit.

I’m not sure if my phone tracked the mileage incorrectly but I don’t think the hike is 7+ miles (I think it’s shorter). That said, this is still a beautiful hike. After doing several hikes in the Gorge the views end up looking similar but Hamilton Mountain still has a breathtaking view. The waterfall along the way is also picturesque. We climbed up next to it and it was really nice!