Learn more

Hamilton Mountain and Rodney Falls

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(1371)
Beacon Rock State Park

Hamilton Mountain and Rodney Falls is a 7.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Stevenson, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,217 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

Situated just an hour drive from Portland, this is a popular hike that offers views of Mount Hood, Mount Adams, and the Columbia River Gorge. It's best to get here early on a warm weekend, as the parking area gets quite full. Visitors here will find waterfalls, rivers, wildflowers and striking mountains here. $10 parking fee for day hikes.

fee

The fee machine is really handy! Make sure you stop and enjoy the views right before the top since the top is pretty overgrown.

Views are amazing even when it’s a little Cloudy! :) and it’s a good 8 mile hike! :)

Kick ass work out! Ran almost the whole way down.

fee

Great trail. A bit crowded on weekends though.

Great workout on 6/30, even on a cloudy and rainy day. We missed the view, but got waterfalls and wildflowers and the trail to ourselves. I’d recommend taking the loop in the counter clockwise direction-you get the steep climb and views first, then an easier down. Got 8 miles on my Garmin.

This is a good hike, not a great hike, in my opinion. The first 1.2 miles or so to Rodney Falls and the Pool of the Winds is a good leg burner and the payoff is cool. Pool of the Winds especially is great. Past that, it’s relatively uphill and definitely a workout. I would categorize it as a moderate hike. The reason I give only three stars is that I feel like the payoff isn’t that great. The summit is completely obscured by brush and honestly there are better views 2/3’s of the way up. Maybe we’re spoiled with so many good views of the gorge around other spots but this one felt like the distance compared to the payoff was a little bit of a letdown.

The overall hike might be categorized as difficult but one can always hike till Rodney falls which is around 30-45 mins one way. We hiked till falls with an 9 yrs old first time hiker with no issues. Beautiful waterfall, We enjoyed it. Started at 4pm , few parking slots were open. It is safe for kids.

Not really sure why this is classified as hard, but it was definitely fun. Muddy at spots, but not sloppy. The descending part of the loop is overgrown a bit toward the top, but not crazy. Didn’t get a great view at the summit because of some dense fog/clouds, but still worth it. The waterfall is great.

Beautiful sunny day and nice views.

This hike has it all. Ample parking for the gorge. Wildflowers, waterfalls and creeks, views, good elevation change, just a few scrambled. We arrived late 12:30 - just as cars were leaving. On the backside saw only 1 other group. Highly recommend this hike midweek. Oh - we missed “Dons cutoff” and ended up on equestrian trail. Would like to go that way next time.

This hike had me sore for days, mostly uphill then downhill after. The view is spectacular and I definitely recommend this hike if you want a good workout

It’s solstice so I set out at 5pm and was back at the trailhead by 9pm. Had the top to myself and didn’t see anyone else until we got back to the main trail. ALWAYS do the loop! You get the views on the way up and extra shade, waterfalls, creeks, and a safer trip back by taking the loop.

fee

I just finished after 4 hours and 8.73 miles. I did "Don's Cutoff" which took me off the shared mountain bike and equestrian part of the return loop. The first part of the hike to the waterfall is a bit like Disneyland. I went out early so only encountered high traffic on the way out. Hikers peel off at the first rocky crag/bluff over looking The Gorge. Fewer make the loop and it's pretty overgrown at the top before the Hardy and Hamilton trails come together at the plateau, a perfect rest and meal spot with more panoramic views. The wildflowers are still peaking and the berries (which are plentiful!) are just starting to come it! The weather was perfect today and the trail has a good mix of forest coverage and open areas. Stretches of the trail are pretty rocky and other stretches are soft trail. Enjoy!

fee

Discover Pass needed if you dont have yearly. Early arrive at 0700 with 6 or 7 cars at TH. Heavy rains 2 days prior to my hike and found trail in great shape. Mud areas in places but doable. Hiked west side to summit and east side down. Would do same. Met alot of hikers when descending and TH full. 7.8 miles total @ 4.5 hours. Short rest stops. Good leg burner. A beautiful sunny day.

Great hike. 9 mile round trip with lookout views. Lackluster summit. Cool views of Columbia

Underwhelming summit at the top but everything else on the trail is absolutely breathtaking even in the fog/rain! I went to Hamilton first and then down the ridge line. I like that way better. Beware there is definitely poison oak on the trail- and a lot of overgrown parts of the trail close to the summit. Didn’t check closely but saw a lot on the way up near the falls!