Learn more

Hamilton Mountain and Rodney Falls Trail [CLOSED]

hard(1221)
Beacon Rock State Park

Hamilton Mountain and Rodney Falls Trail is a 7.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Stevenson, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,217 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

fee

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. $10 parking fee for day hikes. One of the most popular climbs in the Columbia Gorge with great views of both Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams and the Columbia. This is a wonderful climb in the Columbia Gorge with great views from the many cliffs and ledges near the top of Mt. Hood, Adams and the Columbia River. There is a side catwalk trail you can take along the way and even a beautiful waterfall with bridge viewpoint. Please note that this trail crosses with several other trails. To avoid getting lost, look at route map and use GPS.

fee

Went with three families of varying degrees of fitness. Two families made the whole trail, one made it to the best view on the trail. Our 6 year old made the whole trip without a complaint, but this trail is not a joke for being hard. Lots of great views, trails was in good condition, lots of cars in the parking lot but did not feel overwhelmed by hikers on the trail. Lots of great picture spots, with water fall and then river views. Make sure to take plenty of water and enjoy the hike. Good trail.

What a beautiful trail. Weather was great and the ground was dry!

Beautiful weekend to do this hike. Absolutely clear skies makes for an incredible view. The hike was super busy, in fact, we were the last car allowed to park. Assuming because the weather was super nice, coupled with the "stay at home" instructions people wanted to get out. The hike itself is great. The second half of the trail is pretty steep, but plenty of places to take a break. Once you get to the big opening you have incredible views of all sides. If you follow the trail, you will technically hit the top of the mountain, though the view below is just as good if not better. A new favorite for sure. I hiked this with a toddler on my back, but I'm also in very good shape. But as far as older kids go, probably a great trip for them.

great hike but main parking lot full most of the day.

Beautiful! Warm and sunny, a lot of people on the trail but not too crowded.

Hamilton Mountain was absolutely perfect today! There was quite a few people on the trail, but plenty of parking around 10am. lots of shade breaks and change of scenery. Took me roughly 2 1/2 hours to get to the very very top. The actual viewpoint is a very open rock & Cliffside so I recommend doing the loop. There is two different spots I believed to be the viewpoint fellow hikers pushed me to move on. I would consider myself an athlete it was a fair challenge for my legs! A portion of the hike back down is very wide and open Somewhat boring honestly but a nice break from the switchbacks.

This is a true 5 star trail reasons why: -Trail design is very well laid out -very busy I would recommend getting on trail around 4:30 am if you want best view and respect social isolation -awesome view of Duncan falls and mt Adams at the summit as well as a peak at hood -it’s 6 mile without the loop

Beautiful hike but y’all need to use the loop to minimize contact instead of making it an up and back down the switchbacks. I did my best to pull over on the way up so people could pass as far away as possible.

Incredible trail with a lot of variety. And such a beautiful day to do it too! Fitbit clocked 9.2 miles, so I'm not sure if the mileage is inaccurate or if we accidentally took a detour, but either way, will definitely be doing this trail again!

This one made me work for it, and told me I need a lot more conditioning. As the whole social distancing took effect this week, a lot of people seemed to have headed out for the trails. I added the loop to Little Beacon Rock to start - it's a beautiful spot to sit and look into the Gorge and Beacon Rock. The day got warm, and the Pool of the Winds spray was very cooling. After that, the switchbacks just kept going. The summit was kind of non-descript, and a little crowded with teenagers. There is space if you walk a little towards the Gorge. There are views of Hood, Adams, the Gorge, and Table Mountain. I descended via Hardy Ridge and the Equestrian Trail. It opens into a wide 'meadow' on the back side of the mountain and was more impressed with the view from here than the summit. At the junction after the meadow, I suggest taking Don's Cutoff trail rather than the Equestrian trail. The trail through the trees is fantastic. After that, Hardy Creek trail is an easy descent.

Super windy and a ton of snow but the hike is a great one. Great views.

One of my favorite trails. Pool of the Winds never fails to impress and the view never gets old. Highly recommend!

Challenging hike, with waterfalls and incredible views!

Epic. Beautiful. 10/10

Great hike with Zoë and the dog. He got muddy. Snow dusting at the top. Cloudy but high ceiling. Got the majority of the view. Great hike. We like taking the steep way up and gradual descent.

Phenomenal views of the gorge and Table Top Mountain! We found snow at the top.

It was incredible! Well maintained. A bit muddy is spots. I recommend doing the whole loop! And it’s dog friendly

fee

Very hard hike with the switchbacks near the top but the views on the way back down are worth it! Overall challenging hike but very rewarding. Make sure to stop by the pool at the waterfall it is breathtaking.

The trail is in Goldilocks condition right now. Not too muddy, not too dusty. Don’t give up when you think you’re at the top. Keep going to the saddle. Do your knees a favor and take the loop back.

Great hike, starts with a beautiful trail up to the waterfalls. Once you go up a little from there holy switch backs! It goes up pretty far and once you think you can’t go up anymore your almost there! At the top it’s a breath taking site, well worth it.

icy