Green Lake Trail

Green Lake Trail is a 9.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Buckley, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from May until October.

beach

From Tacoma, east on Higway 410 to Buckley. Left on Highway 165 for 10.8 miles. Left at fork for 11.4 miles to trailhead on right.

40 minutes ago

First 3 miles is flat and on gravel path, the mine trail to the right about a mile in (.3 miles) is a great way to warm up for the hike to green lake. we shot over to the river for a bit too before the hike up (stunning). Green Lake is 1.8 miles and fairly steep. Ranger falls is gorgeous, we went down to the bottom of the falls and there is a path to go right up next to the falls before you even get to the ranger falls sign (a small makeshift log bench marks the trail) Green lake is just a few 100' past the log foot bridge over the river, such an amazing hike. Would recommend going early for a peaceful time at the lake lookout.

Beautiful hike we did Friday. Once you get to the trail's beginning (3 miles down the now closed-to-vehicles Carbon River Road), it is 1.8 miles with a significant elevation gain to Green Lake. Nicely maintained trail through the woods. You pass Ranger Falls about half-way, and cross over a log bridge (not as scary as it might sound) before getting to the lake. Others had brought their hammocks and hung out there for a while.

The first 3 miles were walking on a gravel road which was nice and beautiful but was a little boring. Once we reached the trailhead it was like stepping into another world! Loved the 1.8 mile trail to the lake. Would definitely recommend because of that part.

I was not to impressed with the first three miles of fire roads, it was a beautiful walk and pretty easy. Once on the green lake trail I was pretty happy! It was a beautiful hike! The lake was absolutely breathtaking ❤️

Gorgeous solo trip and first up of the day.... Love the falls too!

Nice hike for early season conditioning. Ranger Falls is a great stop on the way to the lake.

Great trail for trail running. Would recommend checking out the trail to Chenuis falls while in the area. There is a Ranger Station right before the trail head. They have maps and are very helpful.

Great trail. First 3 miles are not exactly fun (basically you’ll follow some old fire road next to the river) but after that trail turns into an amazing forest hike with a decent elevation, awesome fall in the middle and beautiful, secluded lake at the very end. Highly recommend!

This was truly a blast. I went out with my husband and best mates yesterday for a birthday hike. I see a lot of people complaining about the service road, but you can bring bicycles if you like. Everything is very well maintained. There are also little side trails including one that leads up to an abandoned mine shaft. I thought it was creepy, but the surrounding were gorgeous. Everything is well marked. Ranger Falls is majestic. Green Lake brings a sense of serenity. I took my Nikon and can't wait to start editing the pictures. This won't be a trip any of us soon forget nor will it be the last time we adventure to it.

Definitely a hidden gem! This is a beautiful hike. Ranger Falls was poppin’ too. Only thing we weren’t crazy about was the 3 mile hike on the service road. We didn’t have bikes to use but definitely wished we had them to cut down on the time it took to get to the trailhead (and back to the parking lot). Got there at 930 am and made it to the trailhead at 1030, then got up to the lake around 1145ish. We didn’t run into anyone on the way up although there were a couple people up there already. Mostly ran into people on the way down. Definitely recommend this beautiful trail!

We hiked this on Saturday May 5,2018. Overall great hike. But the 3 mile straight road you have to take before hitting the trail head was a bit boring. We walked it, but saw some biking it. There is a bike rack at the trail head if you did want to bike.
We started at 10:50am, not many people on the trail at all. From the start of the trail head it took us 1 hour and 15 mins to get to the lake. From here there is a casual elevation gain, nothing out of the ordinary.
On the way to the lake it’s pretty much shaded buy the trees. It was like we were hiking in the forest. :) Also before reaching the lake is a beautiful waterfall. We stopped here to view it on the way down.
The lake was a refreshing view. We sat and had lunch on the logs along side of the lake before heading back. On the way down it took us about 45 minutes before getting to the beginning of the trail head. Then the 3 mile straight road again. We arrived to our car around 2:50.
Requires a hiking pass or $25 for the day/parking.

Great hike today! Brought our bikes like a lot of the reviews suggested and that worked out great! The three miles in and three miles out would have greatly elongated the hike without bikes and not sure I would have made it! Ha! Nevertheless, the biking was pretty exhausting on the way in with a small incline the whole way, and it was a breath of fresh air on the way back down - almost coasting the whole way on tired legs! The hiking inbetween (non-road) was beautiful (and the forest moss and trees beautiful on the road too)! Waterfall was gorgeous and the lake just as breathtaking and a perfect spot for a picnic. Even with the late snow this year, we didn’t run into ANY snow issues on May 2, 2018. A tiny patch or two but I would still call it completely clear of snow! Enjoy!

So beautiful! The lake is SO green and the waterfall is perfect. We weren’t expecting all of it, given the long 3 miles of flat road, and were very pleasantly surprised.

This trail holds a special place in my heart. It’s a relatively short hike once you’re off the road walk, but the lake is beautifully set with the mountains in the backdrop. Great for a dip on a summer day.

Overall great trail. The 3 mike access road you have to walk to/from the actual trailhead is a slog and the only reason I’m giving 4 stars instead of 5. There is a bike rack at the trailhead, so definitely recommend biking the access road if you can. There was gorgeous snowfall but only about a foot by the time I hit the lake, so super manageable without any more gear than wool socks, waterproof boots and pants. Poles would have been nice on the way down but very doable without them

The 3 mile walk to the start of the trail was a bit much coming back haha but I loved this trail. I did it earlier this summer and on a Saturday or Sunday I was the only one on the actually hiking trail to the lake. I was alone for so long that when coming down I got scared to death by a human lol will do this hike again but may bring a bike next time for the 3 miles and lock it to a tree during the Hike:)

Hiked this with my two kiddos 5 and 9 and our friends today. Nice easy hike, love all the bridge crossings. The lake is beautiful and the bugs were not to bad this time!

We are just getting into hiking, walking paths are nice but I wanted to see more.. it was a challenge but very much worth it. Beautiful is an understatement. Looking forward to exploring more of this area in the future. Have a pass or being $25 cash or check.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Absolutely beautiful!!!
Never actually hiked, it was a doozy but we did it!!
I'll be back!!

Sunday, July 02, 2017

I'm going to quote someone who was sitting next to me around the lake : "why the rest of the world is not hiking here today?"

Thursday, June 29, 2017

After parking it's a Long rode in until you hit the start of the trail head. But it's a beautiful flat walk and the old growth on the trees are amazing. Once you hit the trailhead it's a casual slope and then lots of switchbacks. Beautiful water fall and fun little log bridge also are great to see as you make your way up to GreenLake. Trail was really wet and lots of water flowing down the path as we were going up so wear waterproof shoes. But the lake was so calm, like glass. We climbed out on the logs and had lunch. A must do that gives you more view of the lake.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

This was a beautiful hike. The falls were amazing and probably my favorite part and I was in love with all the different native plants and flowers in bloom along the trail.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Easy hike to the falls...absolutely beautiful view of the falls during this time of year.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Stopped at the waterfall. So beautiful

Monday, June 12, 2017

It was amazing.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Really enjoyed this hike. It did not feel like 9.5 miles. The hike was easy to follow and clearly marked. This is a great hike to do if you are used to 5-6 mile hikes and wanna try something longer. Not intimidating at all. The 3 mile walk to the trail is relatively flat. The actual trail has an elevation gain but nothing out of the ordinary as far as hikes go. The waterfall is absolutely beautiful and the lake you end up at is a beautiful little hidden gem and worth the additional distance past the waterfall. There was light snow closer to the lake. The only slight difficult part was coming back in some areas with snow because of the declining elevation. Nothing too difficult just have to watch your step. You can do this with hiking boots or trail shoes. Highly recommend this hike!

Monday, April 17, 2017

Saturday, April 15, 2017

I'd say this was an easy trail, pretty steep in places but the switchbacks leveled it out nice. The falls were beautiful and the lake was amazing. The trail is clearly marked from the road so you don't have to worry about missing it. From where we parked it was about 13 miles round trip.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Great hike! First 3 miles was easy next 1.8 was a moderate climb to the top. Very little snow on the trail except for the final quarter mile. Snow was compact and easy walking. Lake was frozen over but the falls was great! Took a total of 4 hours.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Great hike! Excellent conditions especially for the time of year. Snow at the top was compact/no need for specific shoes. Light/misty snow near the top as well. Lake was snowed over. Took 3 1/2 hours round trip w/ picture stopping a handful of times.

Gear with me: workout shoes, sweats, sweatshirt, thick compression long-sleeve, baseball hat- nothing fancy.