Gray Wolf Trail

Gray Wolf Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sequim, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,332 feet Route Type: Out & Back

bridge out

Please note the trail used to continue past the marked route on the map. You will come across signs telling you not to continue. It is washed out, down a ravine with a washed out bridge, and very dangerous. Do not cross sign indicating the end of the trail.

Day hiked all the way to the end of the trail and back to the parking area in 4.5 hours, with frequent stops to look around and enjoy the beauty of this landscape, and a 20-minute lunch break before turning around to head back. And we're not particularly fast hikers, being a couple of ancient guys. Lots of up and down, with only a few places where we were along the river. There are some nice campsites along the way, and I'm tempted to come back next summer with my sons for an overnight. Also hiked the Cat Creek Loop Trail on our way back out, just to see what it had to offer. Recommended. I love this trail.

not a beginner Trail, it is very strenuous.

Pros: pretty creek, dog friendly, good workout for a “flat” hike. Cons: walk through woods to broken bridge. Not much scenery. Creek, Moss, downed trees and old growth pines are nice but this is purely a woods hike.

We went last Sunday and stayed the night (labor day) with our dog. He's still learning his manners and everyone we came across was very kind and gave him space (we would take him slightly off the trail so they could pass by). We saw several other dogs, but everyone was very good about leashing them once they saw another hiker. We almost made it to where the trail ends now but our dog was getting tired so we turned back. We stayed at the first campsite, which is a really great spot. I was surprised that it was free on such a busy holiday weekend! Lots of wildlife out there. We found a salmon stuck between some rocks and helped him move away (no idea if he survived but we also didnt want to attract any animals by leaving a dead fish by our campsite overnight), several bald eagles up close, and the biggest toad I've ever seen in my life! Lots of bugs and mosquitoes so be prepared for that too though. Overall, it's truly a great little hike!

I am very much enjoying this trail, having hiked it four times with my dog. Be sure to take in the Cat Creek Loop, either on your way to the river or back to your car after the river. We rarely see any other people, & I’ve always found it a great place to get away for a few hours.

Love this trail, this area in general. Nice moderate hike, a few mountain views, beautiful forest areas, riverside stretches. Not heavily trafficked, lots of overgrown bushes/shrubs along the trail. Not busy at all for a holiday weekend Saturday. We only saw 4 other groups on the trail. Of the 4, 3 groups had dogs. One couple leashed their dog as we passed, then immediately let it off leash again. One group just held their dog's collar as we passed and let it go after we left. While still one other group was not even in sight when their dog ran up to us as we were stopped for a snack. Why do people feel like the rules/laws don't apply to them? Leash your damn dogs!

Great hike. Amazing view of the river.

Barely saw any other parties on the trail despite arriving around 10:45 AM. There isn't really a parking lot, just some spots in front of the trail opening and some parking on the side of the street. Lightly trafficked trail though so even if you arrive somewhat late like I did you should be fine. Trail itself is not too steep. There is some incline but there's also downhill portions that are a good break from the climb. The trail can be narrow in some parts and is somewhat overgrown -- I'd recommend wearing long sleeves/pants. Best feature of the trail is being by the river.

Great hike, lots of birds. Would recommend.

Beautiful day Hike. very narrow trail. Eaten alive by mosquitoes even with bug spray. River was amazingly blue.

Gorgeous walk in the woods.

Wife and I hiked to end and back. Hit Trail at 9am and never saw another hiker the entire time of our 4 1/2 hour out and back hike. Trail, was dry and in good condition overall. No sweeping views like you get with ridge hikes but very nice in its own way. Very quiet as all you hear is the river. If you enjoy a quiet walk in the woods, this is a great hike. There are two campsites along the river that are great spots to stop for lunch. One important note to pass along is that the sign marking the trailhead is missing. There is no way to see the trailhead unless you know precisely where it is. I suggest using google maps or waze and paying close attention. Look for a parking area on your left after traveling 2 miles from the road sign.

Great trail, starting to become lightly overgrown (it is spring), light traffic (crossed paths with one couple). The river is gorgeous and make the hike worth it. Not any official signage stating the bridge had been washed out, there is a log with "END?" carved into it laying across the trail at I presumed as the end of the trail.

We hadn't planned to hike this trail when we saw the sign but were looking for a hike that day. We went in late June and could tell the trail was not maintained at all, we pressed on pushing thru the foliage encroaching on the trail. Eventually we got to the river which was the absolute best and after resting awhile we kept going although my boyfriend thought we should turn back. I should have listened to him. we made it up the incline where the trail gives way due to a landslide, with help I made it past that. We stopped at the downed tree with the words The End and turned back crossing the landslide and I fell severely sprain in my ankle taking 5 hours to hobble out! Just beware! The trail was not properly maintained but if you only go as far as the river you should be fine. Be prepared and always let someone know where you're going.

Nice trail. A couple muddy spots but easy to navigate. The river is one of the most beautiful in NW.

Really the only reason I give this Trail a 3 is because it rained pretty good and everything was wet especially the trail filled with water. Bushes a little over grown in spots and they tended to get everything wet as you walked through. Will try this hike again come summertime. Horses on trail also didn’t help the conditions.

last 1/2 mile was a little too sideways for us and turned back. definitely a rough hike

BEAUTIFUL weather today for this hike! Very muddy because of recent rainfall, but it is beautiful, especially by the river. Lots of spots to stop at sit by the river to rest near the end. Several spots with VERY narrow trail next to drop offs; just step carefully. Well worth it! :)

bridge out

Completed 3/23/19, not much snow at all, normal hiking boots will be more than okay. A lot of ups and downs along this trail so be ready for a decent amount of elevation gain without much net gain throughout. River was pretty low for the early season but I imagine it gets pretty intense as more snowmelt occurs. BE VERY CAREFUL hiking this, I would not recommend proceeding past the 2.5-3 mile point with children or those who don't have good footing, a couple of fallen trees you must use for crossing and you're walking along an incline next to the river for a few spots as well, very easy to fall in if you're not careful. You will even see a small memorial dedicated to a gentlemen who passed away during the 2018 season as he was likely washed away by the river during one of these spots. I would still recommend and may go back later in the year to compare conditions, but don't think this will be an easy walk in the park!

Wed Jan 09 2019

Beautiful trail and easy to hike. River was raging this day. The beginning of the trail is not as pretty as the middle and end along the river