Granite Mountain Trail

Granite Mountain Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Take a trek up to the lookout cabin at the top of this beautiful peak in Snoqualmie Pass Follow a very steep trail for 4 miles to the summit of this tall peak alongside I-90. You will have spectacular views from the top, where there is a fire tower, of the surrounding alpine lakes and peaks. You will also have a great view of Mt. Rainier towering above all the other peaks to the south.

The views on this trail are amazing! There is a variety of scenic views and trails. I accidentally took the boulder path to the tower. Wouldn’t recommend it for beginners. It was a test of my skills for sure. The view from the tower is incredible. Took the trail back down which was 10x easier than the boulders. Love this trail. Took me a few hours but it was so beautiful I keep stopping and soaking up the scenery. IG: @markobreezy

Epic views at the top! One of the best hikes I’ve been on. Not very technical, but as you climb you will come across a few rocky sections close to the top. Overall the trail is pretty straight forward. As you ascend you will see blueberrys everywhere, which made for some good snacking as you climb. Hardly any bugs perhaps due to the light smoke.....did I mention how epic the view is from the top!

Beautiful trail, with some steep grade but the changing terrain makes it a fun hike. Views are supposed to be good too but the smoke from forest fires prevent it. Delicious huckleberries and blackberries atop were a nice treat too. I would recommend packing something more than a couple pb&js if you plan to spend close to 8 hrs on the hike like we did.
Oh also, we didn’t experience any bugs, I guess due to the smoke from the fires.

Well graded trail 2/3 in the forest and 1/3 in the open alpine. Great views

Gorgeous hike but steep as you turn up towards Granite Mountain (vs. going to Pratt Lake). Technical as you get into the higher elevations with rock scrambling needed at times. 4 stars b/c of the bugs, the higher you go, the worse they are - esp. towards the fire tower. Late afternoon hike that took approx. 5 hours due to the scrambling and awareness needed on the uphill and downhill. Once we got out of the technical sections we ran most of the way down. Total miles were approx. 9.5 up and back.

Started at 10:45am. Parking lot was about 1/2 full. Temperature was in low 60s at start and low 70's at end. Sky was clear and sunny. Hiking traffic was light, though there were 11-12 people at the fire lookout at 1:15pm. Mt. Ranier was visible, but in a bit of a haze which may have been partly smoke (from CA and OR fires) and/or partly low clouds from on-shore winds. Views to the north, east and west were pretty clear and magnificent as usual. Trail was in excellent shape, but dry/dusty. Alpine flowers were limited as season may have passed. Pond near the summit was almost dry, so need to carry enough water. I went thru 2.5 liters. Elapsed time: 2h 30m up; 1h 35m down.

I love this trail ..... 2 weeks ago did it and started at 8:30 with EVERYONE else I guess
Today started at 7:30 and saw only a few on the way up and the “everyone else” on the way down :)
Up and down total time less than 4 hours.
Very dusty trail lots of bugs near the top. Bug repellent is a MUST.

Talus field fun! Such a great class 2 scramble, and it’s totally optional. At the loop, go right for the trail and left for the scramble, which takes you over the ridge to the firehouse. The granite’s got great friction, even with the moss. All trails has you going up the trail and down the talus field, which is what we did. Definitely go up the talus field and down the trail, i.e. do the loop clockwise. It is way more fun and faster this way. Took us just over 2 hours up and about the same coming down. The views are fabulous. The black flies, however, are awful. When you put the directions in your map app, make sure it tells you to get off at the right exit. Apple maps wanted us to walk 1.4 miles to the trailhead.

Amazing hiking day. Got there 11am and back off the mountain at 5pm. The distances are a bit off. But it is 3.7 miles if you scramble up the front but there is a nice trail up the back which is 4.8 miles up and back.

Last weekend the mountain flowers were just starting so they should be great this weekend.

Arrived to the trailhead at 8am (7/22/18). Air was a comfortable 57° with a slight breeze. This was a welcome start as 90° was the forecasted high. There are 2 streams early on but nowhere else for water along the trail until you reach the meadow which is almost to the summit. Everyone in my party carried 2 liters which was enough for us and one dog until opportunity to refill. We each drank 4 liters (twice as much as usual). This was definitely due to the extreme temperature. The trail was well maintained and easy to follow until there are multiple branches near the meadow. We stayed right for the summer trail too soon and accidentally ended up off trail for a short period until our route met up with the actual trail. There is one other section where it is easy to lose the trail once the snow starts. The summer trail actually passes over the snow but there is a well worn bare trail that continues too far right. After walking for a bit we realized we missed it and had to backtrack along with 3 other groups. The epic views keep you distracted through the final push to the summit. There is plenty of room to find a boulder to call your own for lunch. 360° views and Rainier is just gobsmackingly gorgeous. This is my 2nd time up Granite and I will do it again. It took us 3 hours up and 3 hours down. We had a smallish dog with us and took frequent hydration/photo breaks.

loved this hike! Went on (7/21/18). It was a hard challenge! Took me about 5 hours round trip but it was worth the time. Views are awesome and It was pleasantly quiet for how many hikers where there, next time I’ll be doing the boulder scramble. Also recommended taking a left and trying lake Talapus easier but longer I believe around 9 miles

Went today and was gorgeous. Good to start early to avoid heat and get good parking. Definitely longer than it says to the lookout. Closer to 8 miles. Be aware of rocky trail for final 2 miles or so. Well worth the strain as views are incredible.

Longer than expected but a great workout. The boulders were probably my favorite part, sooo much fun to scramble up! TONS of bugs though.

Went on 7/15/18 to catch the sunrise! First ones up there and totally worth it, the route we took was about 7.8 miles, went up the summer route and came down the winter side (what I would recommend). Get there early, before 8:30 at least. Hard hike but worth it, once you get to the Meadows the hardest parts are behind you!

Fantastic hike! The route I took was about 7.5 miles round trip. This was scrambling up all the boulders for the last 1/4 + mile. Found out later there’s a slightly longer route that included small amounts of snow that avoids the boulder rock climb.
I went at an aggressive speed and reached the lookout in 1 hour 44 min. It is ALL uphill to the top so on the way down the knees wouldn’t let me run all the way down. Took almost as long to return to base as it did to get up. Views are absolutely worth it and I WILL return.
Only outhouse I saw was at the trailhead. Also.,.. must use bug repellent!!!!

Beautiful views. Beautiful trail. Lots of wild flowers and wild life. I founded it harder than anticipated. But we’ll worth the views at the top

Be a man, hit the ridgeline outside the trail and enjoy the bouldering experience. The valley is like a jungle gym for climbers! If you choose the boulders, watch your step, some of the rocks are unstable.

New #1 hike probably for a while! Clear path to peak without having to go through snow, unparalleled views

Awesome, challenging hike.. however, AllTrails continues to screw up the miles for trails. They put down 7.2! Yeah, my ass! Try 10.0! Everyone I talked to on it said their GPS showed 4.8-5 at the top. Almost a 3 mile difference. Make sure to check WTA, they do seem more accurate. Only way I trust AllTrails is if they line up with a few other apps.

Great Hike! A must-do in the I-90 corridor. Trail is steep but gradual. Last 1/2 mile or so is a scramble right now. Fun and manageable for people but a challenge for dogs.

What a classic NW Hike . . Thank you. It is snow free since you scramble up the last 300 feet . . No trail . . Just take your time and you will be fine . . Bugs are just starting to come out . .have bug spray available . . Bear grass in full bloom . . Wild flowers will be in full bloom by 7/20/18.

Awesome hike, rate this about like Si in difficulty level, nice Talus ridge scramble beside the snowfield ,no bugs and views for days!

nice view

THIS WAS TOOO SNOWY AT THE TOP, and bordering was much needed

Definitely has a fantastic view at the top. I wasn’t expecting that much snow to be at the top, which caused me to have to hike up the rocks that are alongside the snow since I didn’t have snow shoes. The last portion of the trail proved hard to find, so I just made my own path. Be very careful if you do climb up the rocks because some are wobbly and are just overall hard to climb up.

The trail is in good shape despite the erosion from snowmelt. there are large, easily traversed patches of snowstarting around 4500 feet. after the meadow/pond at ~4800, there is an 8 foot deep wall of snow that caps the mountain and obscures the rest of the trail. it's passable by getting to the top of it, but its depth made me wary of footing and I chose not to continue past it.

Favorite hike of all time! I went twice this week! Last 3 miles basically have 260 views the whole way up amazing.

Great hike. Still alot of snow at the top. alot of rivers running under the snow. I can see where there are holes about 10 feet deep etc. Be careful that you don't fall through. You can get to the look out if you climb boulders for the last .5 miles on the south side. Theres no snow but the trail itself isn't melted yet. Don't bring dogs yet if you want to get to the look out.

Just went this morning. Would have been nice to know that the trail is still covered in snow the last mile or so. Had to turn around, as we didn't have spikes. The rest of the trail was in good shape.

Beautiful view from left to right. Not gonna lie the walk was challenging, but the view made it all worth it. Definitely would go back :)