Granite Mountain Trail

Granite Mountain Trail is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Take a trek up to the lookout cabin at the top of this beautiful peak in Snoqualmie Pass Follow a very steep trail for 4 miles to the summit of this tall peak alongside I-90. You will have spectacular views from the top, where there is a fire tower, of the surrounding alpine lakes and peaks. You will also have a great view of Mt. Rainier towering above all the other peaks to the south.

Beautiful view from left to right. Not gonna lie the walk was challenging, but the view made it all worth it. Definitely would go back :)

Great hike with a challenging beginning. However, he cautioned.. it is a dangerous trail right now. About 3/4 up, the trail gets lost in the heavy snow. I tracked on and found myself amidst large snow slides. Wait to hike this!

As of today the snow is about thigh deep about half way up it’s starting to get very hard to get to the top and impossible without snow spikes or snow shoes, sadly I was late and I didn’t make it all the way up but still a great hike, next time I’ll cheat up one of the avalanche channels and then just follow the ridge till I get back to the trail, and the watch tower

Happy d hike up but great view. Trail is well taken care of too.

Beautilful views to all sides! We had snow half the way up. Would bring spikes if there is any snow on the trail. We went in the middle of October.

Both novice hikers from Ohio, my boyfriend and I️ took on the challenge of this hike. I️ encouraged him we could do it no problem as I️ run half marathons with little training and he’s a strong runner as well! With little research, I️ quickly learned on the trail, running and hiking a mountain are completely different! However strong willed and with frequent rests we made it to about 4,700 ft elevation until the snow was too deep to go on (we did not have snow gear or hiking poles). With a slight feeling of defeat, I️ sat on my pack silently, breathing in the mountain air and feeling grateful for this life. As I️ sat gazing out at the endless beauty before me the sun suddenly shone strongly and my boyfriend got down on one knee and proposed... I️ said YES!

Granite Mountain will forever be my favorite hike! Looking forward to many more hikes and a lifetime of adventure with my forever fellow!

Also, I️ recommend poles for this hike ;) I’ll be doing more research for my next adventure in hiking!

Incredible views! Once you start the hike, the trail begins quite muddy but the mud goes away almost immediately. I hiked up with two others at 5 am with flashlights to see the sunrise, however we missed the turnoff for the Granite Mountain trail up to the fire watch and hiked 2 miles in the wrong direction before realizing we were going the wrong way. Don't make this mistake!!! Keep your eyes open, however its hard to miss when light out. We were very tired after hiking that extra distance all while in the snow (2/3 of the trail is covered in snow, especially once you get to last couple of miles so make sure to have gators and waterproof hiking boots! Incredible sights at the top, would definitely recommend.

Great hike! A bit overcast by the time I reached the top but it was beautiful non-the-less. The open expanse is glorious with fall colors. The trail is in good condition. The beginning is a bit muddy but clears up right away. If one veers to the right instead of boulder climbing at the base of the peak, you will find snow on the sides of the trail with ice pack on the trail.

I love this hike. It is hard, especially if there's any snow, which will leave you with only the boulder route, that many people just can't do. I had a great time when I went alone, but when I went back wit friends, there was snow on the easy side and we didn't make it to the top. I recommend going alone or bringing determined friends.

Pretty trail, esp with the little snow that has now appeared at the top. To avoid the snow take the boulder route up!

Challenging hike with a great summit and view. Lookout is currently closed. Blue berries are ripe near the top! Bring an extra water

Did this last Tuesday 8/15 for a sunrise hike. My first time on the trail and did it in the dark...which ended up in almost 10 mi RT hike instead of the 8.6 that was listed. Started at 0305 and got up the Mt to Summit by 0602 (6min before sunrise). It was perfect.

This one is definitely a hard one but for the view at the top it is totally worth it.
The distance mentioned here is little low i think. it must be more than 8 miles. First 2 miles is in the forest with total shade but the last 2 miles is open in the meadow and you should carry lot of water. The wild flowers are beautiful but the berries havn't started yet.
While close to the top at least last half a mile loads of bugs.
The last stretch is the toughest but once you drag yourself up you can see couple of lakes, Rainier and still some patches of snow on the top.

This hike has an excellent reward at the top! Having just done Mount Teneriffe last weekend, I much prefer Granite Mtn because of it's gradual climb with great views fairly often as opposed to the grand views found really only at the top of Mount Teneriffe (go do it anyway, beautiful summit view) with a tough ascent going up the shorter, but more challenging, new route. Rainier was in full view and was spectacular to see.

Annoying bugs are to be found and the dirt/sand that is all along the trail will get everywhere.

Awesome trail with the last 1.5 hrs of the climb having some spectacular views!

Hiked back in mid June, no snow but the lookout was closed up. Not easy but extremely BEAUTIFUL!! Watch out for the flies once you leave the trees!!

Great hike semi difficult at first hard in the middle great reward at the end. Got to the top at 7:30 AM major bugs there no joke. Second time I've done this hike and will do it again for sure.

Completed this hike this morning for the first time. Absolutely beautiful views and a plethora of different types of terrain to see from thick Forrest to large boulder fields and expansive meadows full of wildflowers. I left my truck in the parking lot at 7:15AM and made it to the fire look out at 9:25. I will be doing this again in the near future since I made it to the top and halfway back down before the skies cleared up. I would recommend not starting too early on an overcast morning that is expected to dissipate. There are a couple trails that dead end on the way up. If at any point you feel like you're not on the right trail, you're probably right. The only downfall in my opinion is the noise from I90, which is easily overlooked when you are enjoying all of the other accommodations this hike has to offer. I did it without poles and will not be doing that again.

Started at the trailhead at 2:30pm. The first 1.5 miles was moderate but then it is all uphill after that. So many beautiful wildflowers and views on the way up. The trail is clear and in good shape all the way up. Still some some off to the right of the trail. The hike was challenging but so worth it once you make it to the lookout. Mt. Rainier and Baker were visible today and so beautiful! You can also see Pratt Lake right before you get to the lookout. Hiking shoes are a must for this trail. Poles are good for heading down. Made it back down to the car at 8:30pm. Amazing hike and I will definitely be back.

Started at about 8:30 and the parking lot was already full. Luckily there's plenty of parking on the road next to I90. It was cloudy and not too warm. The trail was in good condition. There's still snow in the last half-mile that's not hard to cross. The trail branches off at times; follow the footprints and you should be okay. The wildflowers look great, and the view is great as always!

good

good

One of the more challenging hikes that I like. This morning wasn't one of the best times to go because of the clouds covering the majority of the view of I-90, the other distant mountain top hikes and especially of Mount Rainier. But the trail was decent enough to get to the old fire lookout which is amazing as it stands. Can't get into the lookout. But it's as good as it gets!

My favorite trail along I-90. Wildflowers were in bloom. Still a lot of snow in the bowl. I went up over the snow and went down the boulders. I preferred the boulders!

Jul 03, 2017 - The trail is beautiful and snow-free to the bowl at the top. Wildflowers are everywhere. This hike is not easy, but it's worth it.

Great hike! Still has some snow so take your poles. Hiked up on rocks down took the snow route. Hike has amazing views and beautiful wildflowers.

This was a good hike. My dog could not make it up to the very top because of the rocks/boulders.

Everything about this hike is awesome. My favorite hike I've done in this area.

Intense hick, especially that last few thousand feet where it's all rock climbing. All the hard work is worth it once you reach the top. I just wish the lookout had a hot tub to greet us. :)