Granite Mountain Trail

Granite Mountain Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Take a trek up to the lookout cabin at the top of this beautiful peak in Snoqualmie Pass Follow a very steep trail for 4 miles to the summit of this tall peak alongside I-90. You will have spectacular views from the top, where there is a fire tower, of the surrounding alpine lakes and peaks. You will also have a great view of Mt. Rainier towering above all the other peaks to the south.

Snow packed trail on upper section towards the lookout. Hiking boots were sufficient

Great view at the top. Snow halfway up. Was deep and windy near the top

A 360 view at the top! First hour is tiring then it actually gets more gradual as you get closer. Today, in November, it had snow about half way up or the last third. it's all packed down though. you don't need spikes but polls are helpful.

Good technical trail for running. A lot of gain on the way to the top. Will have to come back when its sunny and clear, nothing but most, rain and the occasional frozen rain waves. There are places snow is either on or next to the trail.

Great trail! Very rainy and foggy, but still amazing views and flora. It is longer than the beta shows. I got kind of confused between the water washes and the trail near the top and my phones GPS was not reading correctly.

Very windy at the top but well worth the hike to the top , wish it was much clearer. Started at 7 am and was done by 11 pm .

Great trail, intense on the lower body. The initial part is through the woods, and then opens up with spectacular views of Mt. Rainier. You can see and hear vehicles from I-90 for most of the way. There are lots of blueberries on the way in the latter part. The trail has a lot of rocks which can get annoying while coming down. The views on top are fantastic with Mt Rainier towering about the other mountains. The fire/lookout tower on the top is closed.

Elevation gain on the trail is about 3,800 feet and can be quite intense. Wouldn’t recommended this trek for beginners. Make sure you carry enough water since the trail is long and it can be quite exhausting on a sunny day.

We started at 6:15 and reached the top in 2.5 hours. The first 2 miles are through the woods and later the trail opened up with awesome fall colors all around and my rainier starting to show towards the south.
The second half of the hike up is truly picturesque. There were just 2 other folks when we reached the lookout. The best view to grab your breakfast bites.
We ran into quite a lot of people on the way down though. And by the time we were back around 12(we stopped in places for photos) the parking lot was full with around 30 other cars parked outside on the road. Getting in early was a good idea.
My tracker clocked 11.5 miles and an elevation gain of 4070ft. Completely snow free today.

This trail is definitely a workout, but on Sunday, 10/14/18, we had the most beautiful, clear day with bright fall colors that made it work the work! Snow-capped Mt Rainier with a foreground of red, yellow and orange leaves on the ridge was breathtaking. Layer up, but we ended up taking off most of what we wore because the weather was so beautiful.. It's a lower body burner for sure, but definitely doable for anyone in good shape. You never lose the trail or have you make your own path or anything like that... just a lot of elevation gain in a short time. Lots of sweat!

What a great hike! Has a bit of that “alpine lakes” feel near the top- not bad for being west of the pass. However, not sure where the measurement for the hike begins, but we logged 9.9 miles from the trailhead, leading us to think that AllTrails measures from the cut off to granite mountain about a mile up the trailhead. That, and the fact that we logged over 4100 ft. elevation gain instead of the 3700 ft. or so they list . So be forewarned if time is an issue- it’s a bit longer hike than you may expect. But good!

Very beautiful hike!

So beautiful! It’s a tough hike with all the switchbacks, but well worth it on a clear day. I highly recommend this one.

Most beautiful ever ever! Colors are everywhere! One of my best fall hikes!

Went up on a beautiful fall day and it was a nice hike. The way up is nice and we went off trail up boulders before the peak which added a nice effort. Great view up top but would imagine it’s crowded during the weekend.

Started the hike on oct 1,, at around 7:30am, took about 3.5 hours out and back. The fall colors were amazing in this little valley before the final push to the summit and the top was covered in clouds which looked surreal. It was a bit challenging, my legs were pretty tired from the few hikes we did the day before so it felt like the switchbacks went on forever. there weren't very many people on this trail, we did see someone with a dog so dogs can definitely do this hike. There were blueberries that lined the trail which made for a great snack on the way up.

Great trail!!

Awesome - longer than stated here. We tracked 11 miles from trailhead to tower round trip. There’s approximately 6inches of snow once you start curving in from the ridge and it’s pretty slipper in some areas with all the slush. Looks like a winter wonderland though. Couldn’t see anything because of cloud coverage from the tower (it was closed so sat below it) but the views from the ridge were incredible with bright fall foliage. We plan to visit again in the summer.

Awesome trail with beautiful scenery and changing landscapes. We went thinking we'd see the Fall colors, but we're a day too late! Still some reds and yellows poking out, and plenty at the middle elevations. Socked in at the top, but still worth the climb and snow-free rocks to eat lunch on. Go early before the snow melts to slush! Was muddy on the way down. Parking lot fills up by 9 and clears out around noon. Don't forget your Northwest Forest Pass and warm layers! Happy trails. (Hiked 10/6/18)

This hike was beautiful and the fall colors today (sept 29th) were incredible! Took me 4 hours total to get up and back down not really taking any breaks or pics (not including the 20 mins I spent at the top). Pretty tough but I would rate it more as moderate than hard if you are in decent shape. Parking lot was full by 8am and definitely saw more people coming down later so I recommend starting before 8 if you can. Pretty windy and chilly at the top so definitely bring a jacket! Nice views of mount rainier too! No bugs at all. Highly recommend!

The views on this trail are amazing! There is a variety of scenic views and trails. I accidentally took the boulder path to the tower. Wouldn’t recommend it for beginners. It was a test of my skills for sure. The view from the tower is incredible. Took the trail back down which was 10x easier than the boulders. Love this trail. Took me a few hours but it was so beautiful I keep stopping and soaking up the scenery. IG: @markobreezy

Epic views at the top! One of the best hikes I’ve been on. Not very technical, but as you climb you will come across a few rocky sections close to the top. Overall the trail is pretty straight forward. As you ascend you will see blueberrys everywhere, which made for some good snacking as you climb. Hardly any bugs perhaps due to the light smoke.....did I mention how epic the view is from the top!

Beautiful trail, with some steep grade but the changing terrain makes it a fun hike. Views are supposed to be good too but the smoke from forest fires prevent it. Delicious huckleberries and blackberries atop were a nice treat too. I would recommend packing something more than a couple pb&js if you plan to spend close to 8 hrs on the hike like we did.
Oh also, we didn’t experience any bugs, I guess due to the smoke from the fires.

Well graded trail 2/3 in the forest and 1/3 in the open alpine. Great views

Gorgeous hike but steep as you turn up towards Granite Mountain (vs. going to Pratt Lake). Technical as you get into the higher elevations with rock scrambling needed at times. 4 stars b/c of the bugs, the higher you go, the worse they are - esp. towards the fire tower. Late afternoon hike that took approx. 5 hours due to the scrambling and awareness needed on the uphill and downhill. Once we got out of the technical sections we ran most of the way down. Total miles were approx. 9.5 up and back.

Started at 10:45am. Parking lot was about 1/2 full. Temperature was in low 60s at start and low 70's at end. Sky was clear and sunny. Hiking traffic was light, though there were 11-12 people at the fire lookout at 1:15pm. Mt. Ranier was visible, but in a bit of a haze which may have been partly smoke (from CA and OR fires) and/or partly low clouds from on-shore winds. Views to the north, east and west were pretty clear and magnificent as usual. Trail was in excellent shape, but dry/dusty. Alpine flowers were limited as season may have passed. Pond near the summit was almost dry, so need to carry enough water. I went thru 2.5 liters. Elapsed time: 2h 30m up; 1h 35m down.

I love this trail ..... 2 weeks ago did it and started at 8:30 with EVERYONE else I guess
Today started at 7:30 and saw only a few on the way up and the “everyone else” on the way down :)
Up and down total time less than 4 hours.
Very dusty trail lots of bugs near the top. Bug repellent is a MUST.

Talus field fun! Such a great class 2 scramble, and it’s totally optional. At the loop, go right for the trail and left for the scramble, which takes you over the ridge to the firehouse. The granite’s got great friction, even with the moss. All trails has you going up the trail and down the talus field, which is what we did. Definitely go up the talus field and down the trail, i.e. do the loop clockwise. It is way more fun and faster this way. Took us just over 2 hours up and about the same coming down. The views are fabulous. The black flies, however, are awful. When you put the directions in your map app, make sure it tells you to get off at the right exit. Apple maps wanted us to walk 1.4 miles to the trailhead.

Amazing hiking day. Got there 11am and back off the mountain at 5pm. The distances are a bit off. But it is 3.7 miles if you scramble up the front but there is a nice trail up the back which is 4.8 miles up and back.

Last weekend the mountain flowers were just starting so they should be great this weekend.

Arrived to the trailhead at 8am (7/22/18). Air was a comfortable 57° with a slight breeze. This was a welcome start as 90° was the forecasted high. There are 2 streams early on but nowhere else for water along the trail until you reach the meadow which is almost to the summit. Everyone in my party carried 2 liters which was enough for us and one dog until opportunity to refill. We each drank 4 liters (twice as much as usual). This was definitely due to the extreme temperature. The trail was well maintained and easy to follow until there are multiple branches near the meadow. We stayed right for the summer trail too soon and accidentally ended up off trail for a short period until our route met up with the actual trail. There is one other section where it is easy to lose the trail once the snow starts. The summer trail actually passes over the snow but there is a well worn bare trail that continues too far right. After walking for a bit we realized we missed it and had to backtrack along with 3 other groups. The epic views keep you distracted through the final push to the summit. There is plenty of room to find a boulder to call your own for lunch. 360° views and Rainier is just gobsmackingly gorgeous. This is my 2nd time up Granite and I will do it again. It took us 3 hours up and 3 hours down. We had a smallish dog with us and took frequent hydration/photo breaks.

loved this hike! Went on (7/21/18). It was a hard challenge! Took me about 5 hours round trip but it was worth the time. Views are awesome and It was pleasantly quiet for how many hikers where there, next time I’ll be doing the boulder scramble. Also recommended taking a left and trying lake Talapus easier but longer I believe around 9 miles