Granite Lakes Trail

Granite Lakes Trail is a 10.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Trail Report - Granite and Thompson Lakes

*I started this at the trailhead closest to mailbox - starting further down the road will provide a more direct route to the lakes.

Began around 11:00AM into bright, new growth forest. For much of the first two miles it felt like a trail had been maintained through the regrowth of an old logging (forest service?) road. Appreciating the trail for what it was, I hiked gradually uphill with the branches of new trees brushing past and covering the path just enough to feel immersed but never losing trail.

At 1.7 miles in - according to my AllTrails app, was the first of two bridge crossings. After this the forest changed for a bit into older growth before turning back into new growth with beautiful old forest on both sides.

Only .2 miles further was a viewpoint with a bench forged from a big log.

Another .5 miles to the sign post for granite lakes or the way down to the other trailhead.

At this point it was just under 3 miles to Granite lake, and the lake was stunning, especially wrapped in its fall colors. Just before the final push there was a sign splitting the trail for Granite Lake and Thompson Lake.

Experienced plenty of wildlife along the way and even had a close encounter with a Pika right at the lake. @gsaontour was up there taking photos and got an excellent shot of the little guy. If you want some dope wildlife pictures go check out his insta and give him a follow!

After coming back down from Granite I decided there was enough time in the day to make it all the way to Thompson lake. The trail continues through older growth then pops back up into new growth and back into old. The creek was by my side for a decent portion, with a few side paths to a better view.

It is another 3 miles to Thompson Lake and about 600 more ft of elevation gain but if time allows, there was not a single person on the way to the lake and the forest continues to change as the trees grow larger and the moss more dense. The lake became visible through the trees the closer i got and the trail decends quickly. There is an excellent view of the lake from about halfway to the decent of the lake. Even if you decide not to clamber all the way down to the waters edge, if you came far enough to see the lake through the trees, definitely make it to the rock slide area where, in my opinion, the best view lives.

There’s plenty of small spots on the surrounding rocks to stop for a break and enjoy the view. There’s one small dirt spot big enough for a tent and the reminace of a campfire but check the regulation on spending the night there before you do as i am unsure.
The hike back uphill from the lake was actually a welcomes warmup before the mostly gradual decent back to the car.

Appreciated the abundance and variety of fungus growing this time of year, from mushrooms bigger than my hand to patches of tiny orange caps it seems to be a mycologists playground. I was able to enjoy the buzzing and chirping of woodland animals as this was a quiet path with not many hikers, even on a Sunday.

Overall, AllTrails put the round trip at 15.3 miles with a total elevation gain of 4,367. Moving time was almost exactly 6hours. solid day hike not too far out of town and can definitely be enjoyed on a sunny or fully cloudy day.

I started this hike at the Granite Creek Connector Trail which is about 2.5 miles before you get to the Granite Lakes trail. Ultimately, my log said it was about 5.8 miles in which, I guess, is close enough! The Connector trail is a bit overgrown. Mostly easy to follow, but a few spots I had to just look for some space between the shrubs. Granite Lakes trail is nice and well maintained. Beautiful lake and scenery.

Decent! Trail goes from wide and maintained to pretty thick and stuffy as you get closer to the lakes. Depending on when you go it might be a little busy.

Got there at 8am this morning and had the whole trail and lake to myself. Did see a couple people on the way down, but not many. Trail starts out a little steep, but it mellows out. A few creek crossings with the last two being more difficult to cross. Almost turned around at the last one, but could tell the lake was just on the other side. Was able to make it across without getting wet and boy was it worth it. Gorgeous lake view and my pup loved cooling off in the water. Would definitely do this hike again.

Lovely.

This is a beautiful hike through a mature forest with plenty of water along the way. The crowds were light but the trek uphill isn’t the easiest. Once you get to the top it’s pretty challenging to find your way to the lake - easy to see, harder to find. Be prepared for mosquitos galore as well. Overall, plenty of natural beauty and a classic PACNW hike.

It was a fantastic hike. The uphill trek can be a grind. But the view at the lake is well worth it. It is a bit overgrown towards the entrance of the lake. The many small creeks you pass/step over definitely breaks up the hike as well.

We didn't start where this trail map says to. Instead we started at one a bit further down the road that makes for a shorter hike.

A very pretty and very wet trail. The trailhead had almost the nicest parking lot for a trailhead I had ever seen. Very nicely paved and clean. We were the only ones there when we first arrived at 8:30 am. We got on the trail at 8:50 and started our way up. The first mile or so is the steepest part and winds through mossy forest. Very picturesque. The trail is extremely well groomed in this portion. We got to the junction for the granite creek trail and turned left. After a few hundred feet the creek (granite creek) is visible directly to your left and you will walk along it and a relatively flat but slightly inclined trail for just under a mile. No snow before this part. After crossing the bridge to the other side of the creek, it was different terrain. Snow started accumulating as we inched our way up in elevation. Less mossy trees and more bare ones. Snow was on/off at first. Saw a nice little waterfall at one of the stream crossings (which there were a lot of). At a certain point the trail was all snow covered so we put on our micro spikes. It was a bit slippery and we just continued trudging up the one way trail looking for the split off of granite and Thompson lakes. At 3070 feet, we found the junction (WTA very accurate), and veered right looking for granite lakes. This is where the very deep snow started. We were the first ones on the trail for the day so we took turns leading the way through the thick snow. I am 6'2" and it was up to my knees. That being said, it was a lot of fun and a good workout. Oh, by the way, there are very nice views of Mailbox peak, or whatever mountain it is, to your right as you walk through the snow. We kept trudging along but at this point our feet and ankles were pretty soaked for all the snow and stream crossings. There was a fairly wide and strong one we had to cross but definitely doable. Looking at my GPS, I could see we were between the two lakes but could not see them. We were getting kind of impatient and didn't realize that the end of the trail was just past the second lake. So, we just turned around and went back down. My boots and socks were pretty soaked at this point so I didn't mind too much. We saw four parties on the way back down but nobody on the way up.
In summary, very pretty and wet forest hike in the beginning. Classic WA forest with a creek scenery. After bridge crossing, snow starts to slowly build up. Fun waterfall and lots of stream crossings. Lots of snow after turn off for the lakes. Unfortunately didn't get to see the lakes but still had a blast!
Fun fact: a tree fell down (apparently by itself) after our hike about 30 feet into the woods away from the parking lot. Very loud and I think my first time seeing one fall naturally.

This hike only has three stars and is a perfect rainy day hike. This is also a good hike for a family or a novice hiker. The trail is pretty great but you can tell most is an old logging road that hasnt completely filled in. The hike has steady grade and there is a brand new trail head. Not sure why they spend so much money on the trailhead for a so so hike that was already there. There was one tough water crossing just after the split to Thompson Lake but I think it was due to the rain. We added more rocks and was able to cross. The lake was quite nice this time of the year with the fall colors as the low cloud ceiling. Since there are so many other worthy hikes I probably wouldnt do this one again but its a great hike for a rainy day, family or a novice as I mentioned earlier. My Alltrails registered about eight miles RT.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

10/9/2017 (Monday) - This trail has obviously been renamed "Granite Creek Trail", and the lower part of the "Granite Lake Trail" is renamed "Granite Creek Connector Trail". A brand-new LARGE parking lot is completed and open to the public at the new trailhead. In the upper part, after crossing the bridge, the trail gets narrower because of the overgrown bushes, and gets unclear on the lake side. We took the left fork near the lakeside and cross the outlet of the lake to sit on some big rocks for lunch.

Monday, July 03, 2017

My wife and I hiked with our friends to Granite Lake. The weather was cloudy in the morning and sunny in the afternoon. We started from Granite Creek Connector Trail, which saves 2 miles from the hike. The parking lot was not complete and the gate was closed. We parked on the road side. The trail has areas of overgrown vegetation. We clipped a lot of brushes.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

The first 2.5 miles didn't show many signs of snow. Put on micros after about 2.5 miles and then switched to show shoes not long after that. Awesome trail!