Golden Gate Trail is a 3.8 mile loop trail located near Paradise Inn, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from July until September.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,099 feet Route Type: Loop

I left my trekking poles in the car and regretted it, bring yours! We saw black bears, marmots, pikas, mountain goats, deer, birds, cools bugs etc. All on one trail! After the first couple of miles the crowds lessen once the pavement ends, but there is always someone else near. I wouldn’t recommend this trail for young kids, there are a lot of make-shift stairs they may have difficulty with. Save this trail for a rare sunny day or when the clouds aren’t too low, the views will blow you away.

Hiked on 8/28/19. I had a 4 year old, 7 year old and two 10 year olds with me and we did this as a loop. They did really great! We saw a ton of marmots, and then as we were cooling down in the lake, we looked up and saw a bear meandering toward us. That was quite a surprise and so I had to quickly drag my youngest out of the way and reach for my bear spray. Luckily, he didn’t want anything to do with us and just deviated out of the way. Beautiful day. It was in the 90’s.

Absolutely beautiful the whole way!!!! No words!

Pretty easy trail filled with meadows, wildflowers, coniferous trees, sometimes marmots and deer. Beautiful hike!

Easy and beautiful

Great hike. Flowers everywhere, animals life, and phenomenal views of the valley. Not too hard, not too crowded on a Thursday.

We hiked with our kids in kid carriers (ages 1, 3) and it was definitely a strenuous hike! But the views are absolutely breathtaking the entire time! Once you get past the paved area the crowds thin out considerably and you’re able to enjoy the beauty without being in throngs of people. Trail is well maintained, there are still a few patches with snow but it is easy to navigate.

Sat Oct 13 2018

9/29/18 Such a great time of year to see all the beautiful autumn foliage! The kids (10, 14) & I really enjoyed this one.

Mon Sep 10 2018

Killer burn to the top. Beautiful the whole way down. Easy to follow signs and great quality trail.

Sun Sep 09 2018

Amazing

Fri Aug 10 2018

Enjoyed the hike up Golden Gate Trail to connect back into Skyline loop and Panorama Point. The meadows were in bloom and we saw several marmots and squirrels on the way up. Remember to bring plenty of water while the sun is hot!

Wed Jul 25 2018

July 21, 2018

Sun Aug 14 2016

Great morning hike. Kids can manage it too. Start off by going to Myrtle Falls and then continue up Golden Gate. Like other reviewers have mentioned you can stop at the bottom of the switch backs and enjoy the view before heading down.

Tue Jan 19 2016

Great day, 32 degrees and light snows itch occasional sun breaks. Broke trail up the lower part of the Golden Gate Trail in fresh snow.

Thu Aug 13 2015

The Golden Gate is a nice way to chop off a mile or so, off the standard full Skyline loop. Going to the base of the switchbacks and turning around is a nice morning sunrise hike: flowers, waterfalls, views of Rainier. . . Hard morning hike to beat! You can not see Mt Baker from Paradise. Opppps . . Arrive at Paradise no later than 9:00am on the weekends.

Sat Aug 24 2013

The Golden Gate trail contained a nice hike just a little ways from the Paradise Lodge, that had about 6 or 7 switchbacks, but most of the way it was a very easy hike. I got onto this trail after getting off of the Panorama Point/Skyline trail. I recccomend this trail to anyone who would like a moderate hike.

Wed Jul 24 2013

My husband and I hiked up Golden Gate Trail (1.6mi) then followed Skyline Trail to the right back to Paradise (2.5mi). We had to cross many snowfields, first big one was on Golden Gate just before the switchbacks then again couple times on Skyline Trail. The snowfield on Golden Gate was pretty flat, but some of the snowfields on Skyline were steep; I would recommend hiking boots and trekking pole(s). Weather wise, we were comfortable wearing shorts, t-shirt, hat and hiking boots. During our hike we saw 4 marmots, 2 chipmunks, a black tail deer and in the distance a black bear. Next time I'd like to hike up the left side of Skyline Trail then come down Golden gate Trail.

Tue Jul 23 2013

Went with a friend and 17 year old daughter at 9:30 am on a Saturday. Definitely get there early as the lower parking lot was almost full when we arrived and when we finished around 1:00 pm it was a complete zoo. We combined the Myrtle Falls, Golden Gate, and right half of the Skyline Loop and had wonderful views of Mt Baker and Mt St Helen's and the wild flowers are amazing. About 30% of the trail was still covered in snow and in about four spots we actually opted to slide down hillsides on our bottoms along the Skyline descent which was a blast! Recommend starting with golden gate trail versus the skyline as some of the snow slopes on skyline are extremely steep and much easier going down then up. Good hiking boots is a must and while trekking poles would be nice aren't necessary. Sunscreen and plenty of water are also recommended!

Wed Sep 07 2011

I did this trail as part of my hike to the upper Skyline Trail. Pretty strenuous, but well worth the effort. Wildflowers, waterfalls, marmots, views of the mountain, and snow made up this trail. Views were amazing and even though I got a little winded at first, it was a great hike! Take alot of stops (breaks) to enjoy the view!

Mon Sep 20 2010

One of the many trails connecting the Paradise Lodge with the Skyline trail. As with all the trails in this area the views are spectacular however one of the things that set this trail apart is the likelihood of seeing a mountain goat munching on the vegetation along side the trail

recorded Recording - Mar 08, 1:59 PM