For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Goat Peak is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Naches, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is best used from December until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 5.3 mi Elevation gain 3,156 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (91)
Recordings (77)
Completed (126)
Arnie .
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2020
HikingGreat!

The trail was a good challenge. It has a pretty much consistent slope from the get go. A little more in some areas a little less in others but never the less it's there. Not gonna really mention mosquitoes or anything because they come with loving the outdoors pretty much everywhere ,expect them even when they're not there, at some point. There were some areas where the trail narrowed and had slippery spots with steep drop offs, not a problem with carefull footing, but they are sections to be approached with caution especially on the way down. Over all the trail, I suppose, would rate as hard just because I would recommend having some experience. I think it is very doable for first timers just expect somewhat of a challenge and don't forget the basic essentials. The view of the hike is very worth the effort put into it not to mention the satisfying feeling of crossing another peak off the list.

Jeff Hamilton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
HikingBugs

Amazing views of Rainier and Adams, lots of bugs but well worth it!

View Jeff's Recording
Noel Garcia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2020
Hiking

A great hike!... just bring enough water as there is no water source along the trail. It is steep for the the first few meters from the trailhead.. not for the inexperienced hiker but it is doable.

Alisha S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 4, 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeRocky

This was a tough hike. Lots of incline and narrow walkway. Think cliff-like trails. Add pesky mosquitoes that seems to follow you everywhere you go. In the beginning of the hike, it will be a steep incline with loose rocks in shaded area. This is where the mosquitos will start to follow you so I recommend bringing a bug spray. After you passed the shaded area, you will be exposed to narrow trails with loose gravel. Definitely bring a good pair of hiking sticks and apply sunscreen. More incline. There are two good resting points with a fantastic view before you reach the peak. The top view is amazing and it’s worth it. There is a guestbook in a white tube where you can sign your name at the peak. I don’t see a pen in the tube, so bring one if you want to sign it. In the middle of the climb, we heard some sort of noise. We weren’t sure if it was a beer or a mountain lion. I heard it as a growl whilst my friend thought it was a big tree fall. Needless to say, we didn’t stay too long in that spot to investigate. We were the first one there, so we didn’t see a lot of people on the trail, but by noon, we started to see a few hikers twinkling in.

Rica C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 3, 2020
HikingBugsWashed out

I wanted to pick a trail that wouldn't be too busy on the Friday before the fourth of July. the is a good trail if you're looking for solitude. Definitely very steep till the end but the views are totally worth it. As mentioned below, there are a few narrow ledges with loose soil where I almost lost my footing (could've landed in the valley down below), but poles definitely helped. Loved the summit, even though it was partially cloudy and couldn't see Rainier today. As an added bonus though, flowers are in bloom right now. some bugs at the top, but nothing bug spray couldn't handle. AMAZING trail!

View Rica's Recording
michael kruzic
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 3, 2020
HikingGreat!

Nice area and great views at top and not crowded on a holiday weekend. The whole route to the peak is uphill with little to no flat sections. Good thing is that there are little switchbacks so it feels like you are getting in more distance. Some good wildflowers and nice view of the mountaintops at the peak and along the way. Great weather in early July.

Calvin Wheeler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 29, 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeRockyScramble

This is a tough trail, steep on the way up and giving your legs one heck of a workout. Steep on the way down giving your knees some fits! Beautiful trail. Arrived at the trailhead at about 8am and was only the second car there. That person was on his way down while I was on my way up. Spent an hour at the peak, saw some fighter jets cone out of the valley, very cool. The views were awesome! Rainer and Adams were playing peekaboo with me, while the Stewart range and the other parts of the Cascades were out in force! On my way down at 11:30 I only passed 2 groups on the way up. A couple and then a solo with his dog. Parts have no shade and the peak is also shade limited so have sunscreen ready!

View Calvin's Recording
Seattle Wayne
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 25, 2020
HikingNo shadeRockyScrambleSnow

I'll start off by saying that this hike was a leg burner for sure. It's an uphill battle the entire way and does not let up until you reach the summit. My total milage was 6.84 miles with an elevation gain of 3,184. My total time from car to car was 4 hours and 13 minutes. Bring water. The trailhead is right off of HWY 410 and it's clearly marked. Once on the trail, it immediately starts an uphill ascent. I stretched at the car for a few moments before getting started. The trail is very dry and there are a lot of spots where the trail is very loose on the sides. Sure footing and some sturdy hiking boots are highly recommended. As you climb higher, you'll start to run into a lot of rocks and pebbles on the trail. If you're not careful, especially on the way down it's easy to twist an ankle or slip off down the side of the trail. When you start passing through the talus fields and walking the switchbacks through the exposed areas, watch your footing. Some of the trail has eroded away and your only option is to rock hop. It's not terrible but there are a couple areas where you really need to pay attention. The reported snow field has melted out, and I went ahead and tossed the rest of the snow field down the talus field. Wear your sun screen if you plan on hiking on a sunny day. Although there are plenty of shaded areas to rest, you'll be completely exposed the last 500 feet or so. And it gets hot around 1pm. The last 500 feet to the summit are tight, relentless switchbacks that'll surely test your endurance and your mental fortitude. I wanted to turn back several times but as I inched my way towards the summit, and eventually made it, the views are worth the punishment and pain. The bugs are plentiful at the top but didn't really seem very interested in me. Maybe it's because after 3+ miles of hiking in the Wenatchee National Forest, I was drenched in sweat and didn't smell all that pleasant. I signed the summit registry, gazed at Mount Rainier and ate my food. I loaded up on water and prepared for the long, arduous trek back down. I would report on highway 410, but you know, it's paved and easy to drive on with little to no traffic. On the way home, (around 4pm) was a different story. I got stuck behind many look-e-loos gazing at Mount Rainier instead of pulling over to stare. Zero trash on the trail. I passed three other people and no dogs off leash to report. It was a fantastic day.

Andrea Turner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 19, 2020
Hiking

We had a gorgeous, warm June day for this - extremely quiet. Passed just a few people the entire time. Such fun variety on the trail. Starts in the forest along a little creek. Soon evolves into a more open trail with lots of views here and there throughout. Mount Rainier slowly climbs into view. Wildflowers galore. There were just a couple snow patches that were easily doable. We did throw our spikes on for one steep snowy side hill, but on the way back down we managed without. Poles were helpful, however. Summit was awesome - views of Rainier, Adams, the Stuart Range/Enchantments, Bumping Lake. Right as we were about to start heading down, two fighter jets buzzed us. It was an incredible experience! Thanks to them for the show!! What a highlight! Gave me goosebumps! I think the mileage may be off on this because I clocked 7.7 mi (my sister clocked 6.9 without any offshoots) with a little under 3200 elevation gain - not the 5.2 listed here. I feel like this hike could become a yearly staple. Really amazing day.

View Andrea's Recording
BJ Marraccini
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 31, 2020
HikingBlowdownRockySnow

5/31: love this hike. good incline, lots of views of Fife’s Ridge behind you and the American Ridge in front of you. Reached Snow at 5800’. Definitely needed the micro spikes and poles,I should’ve brought my ice axe- the north slope below the summit was very slick. Saw lots of devils club, trillium, spruce, lupine and moss. Will be up here again soon.

View BJ's Recording
B R
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 16, 2019
HikingSnow

We followed the previous parties boot pack from the day before. It’s still doable. Recommend gaiters for the deeper snow. Was great heel steeping in the deep stuff on the way down.

Seth Clayton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 14, 2019
HikingSnow
Arielle Snyder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 2, 2019

Such a beautiful hike

stephanie weise
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 17, 2019

Park at cougar flat campground on bumping lake road for trail head

View stephanie's Recording
Carrie Hall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 14, 2019
Hiking

This was a tough hike but the views at the top were amazing!! Well worth it!

Stephen Strickler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 29, 2019

mosquitoes

View Stephen's Recording
Angela Baldwin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 13, 2019
Hiking

The views at the top are amazing, however, the mosquitoes were in full force but only at the top. The descent down was difficult even in my great hiking shoes because of the steepness. Trekking poles are recommended. This trail is not for beginners.

Davide Ricci
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 2, 2019
Hiking

Great hike. Done with my family with kids between 9 and 12. Good climb. Gorgeous view from the top. Recommended for a half day hike.

Natividad Serrano Jr
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 28, 2019
Hiking

went up the Trail, a couple days ago, 1.8 miles before turning back because of Evening time. I really Liked the Trail to this point. up the valley by the stream. the simple obstacles of crossing by fallen trees or the stream, How there is a little more caution to take on the Trail by the Rockier Sections and The Steep openness. really good view points.