Goat Lake Trail

Goat Lake Trail is a 10.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Darrington, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

From Granite Falls, head east on Mountain Loop Highway for 34.3 miles. Turn right on Forest Service Road 4080 and travel 1 mile to the trailhead at the end of the road.

As of 4.14 the mountain loop highway was closed 10 miles out from hike.

It’s a long hike but the lake is beautiful. The water reflects the surroundings and it looks like a mirror.

Love the view! Long but easy, mainly flat trails. Waterfalls along the upper trials are a plus. A lot of space to relax, unwind & take in the amazing lake.

Pros:
- Mid way the trial is relatively flat and easy
- Dog friendly
- Waterfall pit-stop

Cons:
- A lot of bugs (highly recommend bringing good bug repellent)
- We couldn't find the lake because we lost the trail after the waterfall
- First and last part of the hike has a lot of climb

Overall for someone like me who has only hiked twice this summer this was a decent hike. It was a little disappointing not getting to the end but we were still satisfied with the waterfall. Our black lab definitely enjoyed himself at the waterfall. I would go again just so I can reach the lake.

Amazing trail , did the hike this morning with my wife . It was a fantastic experience

Great spot, a well used trail. Watch for the mice at the campsite and in the carpark. They will get into your car if there is anything edible in there. Same goes for the campsite, use a sealed container as they will chew through bags etc. even when hung.

great hike went up Thursday left my car unlocked with nothing in it no problems. really clean outhouse at the trail head took the lower trail and it was nice follows the river. cross a few streams. near the end the trail gets a little steep for the last mile but not too bad about 4 or 5 switchbacks and you're there. pretty waterfall, beautiful lake, nice
camping area and toilets. bugs were minimal but I used bug spray anyway. clear sky under the stars and the moon lit up the lake too

This hike was killer! What a wonderful day we had! The worst part was the flies, they were so bad and irritating, especially at the edge of the lake! The water was SO chill and refreshing though, I jumped in 3 times! :) Ran in to about 10 groups throughout the day, everyone was super great and my pups were off leash the whole time, we only saw 1 other dog and they all played, it was nice! At the first split we took the lower falls trail and found out it's a lil faster! You come to the falls first and they are gorgeous and powerful! Right up the hill a few hundred more feet is the stunning lake! It's Aug 6th and the Canadian fires are burning bad, so the air was very smokey, but made for eerie pics! Loved this hike, took us 6 hours round trip at a moderate speed, stopping of course to eat berries and let the dogs dip in to the river spots and cool down, then about a good hour at the lake! :)

Pretty easy hike and nice camp sites. Downside, a lot of rodents.

First impression. I went there to a day hiked like a couple month ago maybe June something. I would love to go back there again for camping someday in this month,Waterfall is amazing. And lake is gorgeous.

Beautiful hike. The last mile and a half is rocky and steep. We stayed on the lower route back and forth. Great views. Would come back and camp sometime

Stunning lake with the beautiful surrounding mountains! The hike overall is definitely on the easy side though, and I would definitely recommend taking the lower trail both up and down because it has much more to see than the upper trail.

Love this lake, didn't see any goats though. It easy hiking until the last mile and a half. Lower trail was way more beautiful than the upper in my opinion. Upper was along a cliff of trees, lower was along a river. Every time I see the lake and peak behind it, it's like the first time all over again. Will definitely do again. Cross the log jam and walk down the trail. Gorgeous. Super clean water.

Sadly rating this a 3. Yes the lake was gorgeous (rate that a 5) but everyone seems to go up there to party and blare music. Was not the relaxing backpacking spot that we were hoping to find. The camping was crazy packed more like a KOA.

Beautiful hike, the tail to the glacier side of the lake is overgrown with nettles halfway so bring a machete if you want to reach the glacier. Take the upper trail back to the trailhead to see several beautiful waterfalls!

wasn't as hard as I was expecting it to be, doesn't incline too much. very nice trail with a beautiful lake, nice day hike. went on a Sunday and only passed a few hikers which was nice.

I did this hike on a whim, due to a failed attempt of hiking up a nearby peak. It was pretty crowded, but not as bad as other popular trails. The trail is pretty easy and boring in my opinion. I really wish I had ditched my backpack and worn my trail running shoes. I think it would have been more enjoyable to run the whole way; it just seems to drag on forever. The lake is really beautiful and nice to soak your feet in. Just be sure to bring water shoes because it is really rocky. I'd recommend this as either a trail run, or an overnight camping trip. Just hope that there aren't loud drunk idiots ruining around.

This trail had a little bit of everything. Certainly recommend the lower path as opposed to the upper. Following the river was spectacular and then climbing up near the falls to the lake left us breathless in the best way possible. Had our morning hot cocoa looking out over the lake and soaking it all in. Would recommend a million times over.

Really a great hike. We'd give it 5 stars if for only a little better lake access. Camp sites fill up quickly Saturday so get a head start if you can.

Spent the night at the lake. Trail was easy enough in. Take upper Elliot on the way in for one quick up hill and a mostly level trek or lower Elliot for a slow drawn out uphill. the trail can be east to lose at the end especially in the dark.

The Lake was BEAUTIFUL and it was a perfect day. Relatively easy hike, just long, but beautiful and well kept.

Busy 4th of July weekend, so parking was crazy. Arrived by 10a but still had to park about 5min away from the TH. Easy drive in our Prius, just take it slow around corners and in dust clouds. Trail is in great shape, take the lower path one way and the upper the other for two different experiences. The lake was beautiful, if you have aqua socks and a high tolerance, a quick wade would be fun. Don't forget your sunscreen, water, and some snacks! Have fun! ⛰

Awesome hike! Gorgeous the whole way. Roads and trail in great condition!

Trail was mostly in good condition. The label "moderate" fits. Lake was fantastic. Lots of space for pitching a tent.

Hiked this on June 22, it was a sunny clear day and the view of the lake was insane. Would highly recommend this trail. Check out the photos

Stunning views from the lake. The lower trail is very muddy in places with more up and down than the upper trail, but it follows the stream and is more interesting. Overall this was a great hike.

Couldn't ask for a better hike for my 28th birthday. The water is as cold as it looks but a quick dip felt amazing!

The lake is beautiful, pictures do not do it justice! This is a fairly easy hike that's worth the view. The lower trail is super muddy, but runs right along a river. The upper trail gives you glimpses of some gorgeous mountain face views, but leaves you wanting more. Overall, it is a solid hike.