Cyber Weekend Sale 50% Off
Get Started
Learn more

Glass Beach is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Port Townsend, Washington that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 5.9 mi Elevation gain 364 ft Route type Out & Back
Photos (102)
Recordings (110)
Completed (237)
Terri Neal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 12, 2020
Hiking

I only encountered one person today out on the trail. This is on my favorite places and I enjoyed myself as usual

View Terri's Recording
kellie sheldon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 6, 2020
View kellie's Recording
Korlyn Markova
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 29, 2020
Walking

Please leave and return the glass.

Kevin Goff
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 28, 2020
Hiking

Found a few decent pieces of glass... would definitely recommend heading out as the tide is going out...the last half mile of the hike looks like it would be pretty unpleasant in high tide. Beautiful views.

View Kevin's Recording
Michelle Drake
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 22, 2020
Hiking

Nice walk down the beach. Good to have supportive shoes, a bag for your treasures, and awareness of the tide! We had perfect weather.

Connie Darling
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 21, 2020
View Connie's Recording
Lindee B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 8, 2020
Nature tripsGreat!

Great place to hike explore and collect agates sea glass and a lot of beautiful views.

Erin Hilburn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 30, 2020

This was beautiful. We went very, very early and managed to be one of 2 cars ij the lot. The sun rose as we started the trail. It's a gorgeous hike. Sure there's sea glass but the real treasure is in the tide pools and wild life, specifically birds. We'll be back for sure. Lot was full and it was pretty busy when we left. So like most things earlier=better.

Shawna Murray
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2020
Hiking

Just make sure you check the tide chart all & all great hike

Cassondra Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful day, easy walk, some parts really rocky, some parts really sandy. Glad I wore my boots.

View Cassondra's Recording
Bronson Davidson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 9, 2020
WalkingRocky

saw a couple eagles try and steal fish from a couple sea otters :)

View Bronson's Recording
Megan Rice
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
Hiking

My kids and I walked the full amount that is mapped on AllTrails even though we clocked EIGHT MILES instead of 5.6 as posted. There is a ton of small small pieces of sea glass which is so fun for the kids. We ran into a “local” that said you really need to keep walking PAST the AllTrails end destination to get the bigger pieces of glass. I’m addition for SUPER EARLY! Always watch the TIDE. It comes up quick.

Terri Neal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
HikingGreat!No shadeRocky

I have been to north beach numerous times but never the full length until 2 days ago. Each time I go I find glass and pottery but when I made it to the trail end I found red, teal, and pink glass pieces and some remarkable pottery pieces! I planned my trip to head out as tide was going to low tide as others recommended. When high tide comes in, it will leave you walking among large rocks near the bluffs. I highly recommend this trail! If you are like me and prefer a more solitary trip I recommend going during a weekday.

Jocelynn Nelson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 24, 2020
View Jocelynn's Recording
Faye Doll
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 23, 2020
HikingRocky

Read all the warnings... check the tide, wear appropriate shoes for you, all the things. If you do that, you'll have plenty of time to walk the 3 miles to Glass Beach, wander around, and walk back out. Plan on at least five hours... time to get there, meander, and get back. Plan on sand... soft sand, hard packed sand, loose gravel, rocks, large rocks, walking around downed trees, eagles that may not want you there. It's nature. Be aware. The glass on the day I went was small, but everywhere... you just have to look. I even found a couple pieces of pottery and a marble!

Sara Weelborg Gilfeather
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020
HikingRocky

I appreciated the heads up on checking the tide chart. Went at low tide and enjoyed searching for glass. Found small pieces-they were colorful and it was like a fun scavenger hunt. The hike was deceptively challenging I’m guessing because of the shifting sand. We were really tired in the legs and feet after the hike. It was a different kind of hike for me and I enjoyed it.

View Sara's Recording
Bryan Myrick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 18, 2020
Hiking

Caution: Check the tide charts before heading out and time your journey accordingly. There is one significant section that will be underwater during high tides. A fun beach trek that does require patience, but there's a lot of stuff to look at on the way to Glass Beach.

Syl Wiles
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 11, 2020
Hiking

Wonderful place! You must be patient and a keen lookout for sea glass. Nice upkeep of area

Casey Wright
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 9, 2020
HikingRocky

If you’re going for the sea glass. It was very disappointing

View Casey's Recording
Max Murtaugh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 4, 2020
View Max's Recording
Laura Isaacson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 31, 2020
WalkingRocky

This was such a nice day! Walked the beach at a leisurely pace picking up rocks and sea glass along the way. So pretty here!!

View Laura's Recording
Harper Hibbs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 27, 2020
Hiking

Great hike and lots of glass! This trail is all on the beach and we went at low tide (-2ft) and the walk was very level and mostly sand, some areas you have to walk over large rocks but nothing difficult. As soon as you start the walk you will see small pieces of sea glass in the sand. As you get closer to the actual glass beach we were finding larger glass pieces. Walked away with a good pocket full of sea glass. Also saw several eagles. Highly recommend and will be going back!

Megan Grinnell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 20, 2020
Hiking

Great out and back but so many dogs off leash! Made us very nervous when they would run up, especially my leashed dog. Saw a bald eagle, octopus and found a pocket full of sea glass.

Amberrose Cone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 14, 2020
Hiking

Friend and I took our kids (7, 6, 4) and a dog on our visit. We watched the local tide guidelines to plan our trip, and thankfully we all found a good collection of sea glass ranging in color from clear, white, brown, red, blue and green. A very fun activity for our kids, but SUPER cold. The wind and temperature did us in, but we will be back!

Kareena Beckner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 18, 2019
Hiking

actually found a baby seal on the beach and got scared by my dog so it scurried back into the water. great hike and pretty..was windy though and chilly

Lezley B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 2, 2019
Hiking

Our hike was on a sunny, windless Fall afternoon, at mid tide rising. Made it about 2/3 of the way when the trail became fully shaded (brisk) by the bluff and narrow enough that I was concerned our return would be difficult/wet. Didn’t find much glass; most was specks, but we found about a handful of 1/4 minus white glass and a few pieces of green and amber. I chanced to turn around to where we’d been a couple minutes before and saw three otters run from the bluff to the ocean! The star of the hike was the calm, glassy water and beautiful views.

Jaclyn Touchstone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 2, 2019
HikingRocky

Started this hike at the peak of low tide. This hike took twice as long as I thought it would, so give yourself extra time or leave earlier. Lots of slippery seaweed on the rocky parts once the tide came back in, so ended up having to trudge through the softer sand. The views really open up once you come around the final bend and you can see the mountains in the distance. Also this hike was a two-fer for me as I enjoy exploring tide pools. 10/10 would walk again.

Rona Fernandez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 20, 2019
HikingNo shadeRocky