Glacier Lake Trail

Glacier Lake Trail is a 3.9 mile out and back trail located near Randle, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Randle, east 12 miles on Highway 12 to Forest Service Road 21. Turn right and drive 5 miles to Forest Service Road 2110. Turn left and drive 0.5 mile to the trailhead on the right.

Glacier lake hike was a tough hike for me. The trail is narrow and drops off in 2 or 3 spots, and the trail is either straight up or straight down for almost the entire hike. I think this trail is a one and done for me. I would not recommend it for little kids or horses.

Getting There: The signs along FR21 aren't all there so make sure you are keeping track of your mileage for the FR2110 turnoff. The sign for the turnoff still exist but for the return road (I know right?!?).

Hike: This short hike is definitely a tough one. As someone who gets out frequently and doesn't mind an ascent this was still a bit difficult. Mid-Summer heat on the sun exposed parts of the trail led to silt-like hills where you'll slowly avoid sliding. Once we got to the lake we dipped our feet in and enjoyed the scenery. It is not the best view, but overall this is a very involved hike. The town map says this hike is great for families and horses, but I don't see either make the entire trip up to the lake. UPHILL BOTH WAYS so don't think this is a simple walk.

Definitely a moderate hike with lot of a very steep up and downs. The lake is not particularly scenic and the trail seems quite narrow with drop offs that might be difficult or dangerous for horses. There were no obstacles on the trail. Parking was a little difficult and crowded, but it was Memorial Day weekend. Will probably not be back.

Hiked in early May. Beautiful view of Glacier Lake, well worth the hills to get there.

Monday, August 08, 2016

As others have stated, 3 miles in and 3 miles out. You almost start to question if you took the right path as you figure you should have been there by now. The lake is the payoff but it's not a lake you can sit with your feet in the water by the beach. It's very muddy, lots of stickers and bugs by the water. Nice camp spot hidden in the trees for those who wana stay the night. Bring OFF. Parking could be an issue.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Sunday, May 29, 2016

This was rated as an easy hike. I felt it was for sure moderate. I also must have read the description wrong as I thought it was 3.2 miles total. But as I re read it did say 3.2 in and back. We did have to go over and under couple trees over the trail but no big deal. Lost the trail at the boulders so we went over and through them, however there was a path to the left, we just missed it. Will do it again.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

This trail is true to the ol' saying, "Up hill both ways..."

Great work out and the trip in ended with 3 Brook trout worth keeping. Used an all orange Wedding Ring on a Spinning Reel.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Short. Elevation gain is moderate. The last couple hundred feet, the trail become scarce. Parking is limited at the trailhead.

Monday, May 12, 2014

Washouts on the spur road off of NF-21 add a half mile to the hike before you get to the trail head. Trail was clear, not overgrown, well used, always easy to find, but not exactly an easy hike. Lots of views of the raging creek, and the lake at the end is a nice payoff. Would be awesome to be able to hike around the lake, but the terrain is steep and rough. Good early season hike, I don't recall any mud on trail, although everything was soaking wet. From NF-21 the only sign pointing to the trail is seen when coming down the hill, so the spur road is easy to miss.

Sunday, July 01, 2012

many trees over the trail and washouts making hiking difficult. Nice lake and views with good fishing. Group of college age people with 8balls and shotguns partying at the trail end making my experience uncomfortable and sketchy. If not for that would have been great.

Monday, January 10, 2011

The trail is all but impassable for those without rope teams. I am Packwood search and rescue and would honestly arrest myself if I had to rescue me along this trail; ignoring all the warning signs! Finally making it to the lake...it is filled with something dark, sinister if you will. My advice? Find somewhere else to go!

Thursday, July 29, 2010

As of July 2010, the trail was nearly impassable and from the looks of it, will not be fixed anytime soon. There are many, many trees down across trail and landslides as well. The Fish in the lake are well worth the trip as it is plum-full of Brook Trout.