French Cabin Creek

French Cabin Creek is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roslyn, Washington that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 885 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Steeper than expected & nothing remarkable to see. This sure labels it as a easy hike.,.. it should be go considered moderate because of the incline.

We were in Rosslyn for work, and were excited to recon French. It was about 45 minutes on a dirt road from Rosslyn. I was driving my BMW and was a little concerned regarding the unpaved road with such a climb in elevation, but she did just fine. Take it easy on the way up though, spring run-off has caused quite a few gauges in the road. There is a small area for parking on the road. The trailhead was easy to find from the road. I rated this trail a two-star because I didn't feel the site was nearly spectacular enough to justify the amount of time it took to drive there. Additionally, in the midday August heat and at elevation, we were shocked by the quantity of flies. even with a slight breeze they were quite atrocious. the creek waterfalls were unimpressive and barely visible as a result of the thick summer brush. The trail itself is in good condition and easy to hike. the reason for any stars: it is very rare to make it to any trailhead in PNW without a mass of people. This was not the case at French. Even on a gorgeous summer weekend, there was no one for miles, making it extremely isolated. I recommend bringing extra water, medkit and firearm. Additionally, about 1 mile up the trail the canopy opens giving a ideal 180 degree vantage point of the Wenatchee valley bowl the trails runs up. This is a great trail for those experienced with the annoyance of thick bush flies/mosquitoes who want to hike around and spend a couple days in the hills. French is not a trail for people looking to experience a short trail with spectacular surroundings. There aren't any, so it's not really worth the drive.

There are a lot of bugs at the start but then it’s awesome and breezy (no bugs) once you’re in. We hike a lot and this was a good workout for sure, agree with others it was steep but kind of the perfect steep. The ending wasn’t too cool but the views along the way were awesome! Something to note, you will take about 15 miles on a dirt road so make sure your car is cool with that. I would also pack bear spray, we saw bear scat. Lastly, we hiked Saturday mornings and saw only two others at the top who came from a different trailhead so this is a great hike to let the dog off leash!

Tue Nov 13 2018

Great hike on a beautiful day right after the first snow. I agree with the other reviews on it not being all that easy. it's reasonably steep but worth it.

Mon Aug 21 2017

I hiked this trail with my wife and 4 kids. There are some beautiful views. The trail is fairly steep and not quite as easy as we were anticipating. It's definitely doable and worth it though. We had a great time.

Sun Jul 09 2017

Nice Hike. Steeper than I expected.

Mon Jun 26 2017

If you plug the directions into google maps, it doesn't take you quite to the trailhead - follow the sign and drive up to the right, as long as you have any kind of clearance your vehicle will be fine. Right now the snow skiffs cover the trail right after you cross a creek - continue forward, then to the right, and look for the sawed logs and you'll find the trail again. The trail is steeper than it's easy rating would imply, but well worth it for beautiful scenery!

Mon Jul 16 2018