Franklin Falls Trail 1036

Franklin Falls Trail 1036 is a 2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Franklin Falls Trail is a popular, easy hike that is only a few miles round trip and is easily accessible thanks to the paved road in and the ample parking lot. It is a perfect hike for the whole family, so feel free to bring kids, even the little ones. The path is clearly marked and had plenty of stopping points. This is a highly travelled trail so parking fills up quickly, but that also means there are are restrooms available at the trailhead. This is a great hike year round. It is a perfect hike for taking a dip in the summer, enjoying a classic foggy pacific northwest day, and is a real winter wonderland when it is snowy- though you will want to consider bringing snow shoes or at least sturdy hiking boots and hiking poles. This can also be done as a loop with the Wagon Road Trail.

Hiked from Exit 47 at road closure. 7 miles RT. Approximately 5 miles of it is walking on the closed road that runs beside I90. Road was compact snow with some deep snow areas but there was an area worn down in the deeper snow areas. I wore microspikes and would recommend them. It was a beautiful day and I was pleasantly surprised to have the falls to myself. The falls are not completely frozen but the surrounded by beautiful ice.

Road remains closed so expect the 7.1 mile round trip walk in the woods. Started early in the morning and the road was icy with plenty of grooves from snowmobile tracks. Microspikes will serve you well and some warm boots. Snowshoes are not necessary, though if you want to carry them for weight, go for it. Trail is easy to find and has compact snow to lead you to the falls. The falls was flowing and plenty of icicles to add depth to the photos. This morning was not slushy and the ice looks like it’ll stay. Dress warm, gloves hats, you name it because it definitely is chilly by the falls. We passed 64 people and about 30 cars parked on the sides on the way back. Make sure to do the hike early (before 8-9AM) especially on weekends to beat crowds and get photos you want.

Falls were pretty good. However the park doesn't take care of out houses. Looks like they haven't been cleaned in a few years and seats were broken etc. Better off going in woods or store before getting there. Also no trash cans so people have been just throwing things all over the ground.

This was a great hike. Invite friends for a fun experience. Still a good hike if you prefer going solo. We went in early January and it still had snow. Make sure you wear the proper gear (i.e. shoe spikes, wear layers, wet weather clothing, etc.). I noticed a lot of people on the tail had on improper footwear and were slipping or had soaked feet from the snow/melted ice. Denny Creek Road was closed due to the icy roads, which caused us to walk about 2 miles to the actual start to the Franklin Falls Trailhead. The actual trail itself is about another 2.5 miles. During the snowy winter months it's about a 7-8ish mile hike roundtrip. Arriving at the falls was a phenomenal experience. Definitely worth the trek and the view. Bring a waterproof camera or just keep a good distance from the waterfall when taking pictures or it will get soaked.

I got there around 7 am and it took me about 3.5 hours to complete. I didn’t run into anyone until I was almost back to the car. The road to the trailhead is closed but you can park outside the barricades which makes the hike about 7.5 miles round trip. Definitely was thankful for my trekking poles and microspikes! The “trail” that’s on top of the roadway was easy to locate and was packed down, however the snow off that packed path was pretty loose and powdery and after several times of post holing and getting snow in my boots I put gaiters on (I wish I’d thought to put them on prior to that) which helped. Once I crossed the large bridge it started raining and i was sliding all over the place and miserable, so just be aware it can get pretty slushy. Otherwise, it was a great hike and definitely enjoyed the scenery!

TLDR; bring your microspikes and enjoy the hike.

Finally did this in the winter the second week of Jan and it was wonderful. Extra mileage made this second trip to the falls even better. HIGHLY recommend spikes! Made life a lot easier especially getting down to the falls. Arrived around 9am to only 3 cars parked and while heading back we probably passed over 40 people. I recommend getting an early start to the day even on a Monday so there's less people

Beautiful winter hike! We took exit 47 and parked next to the gate. I realized afterwards we could have taken the following exit and done a 3.5 mile or so hike instead of 7 miles, but oh well. We parked about 11:15am and it took us 3.5 hours including lunch at the falls. The descent down to the falls is steep and slippery. I recommend traction devices like microspikes to help with this hike in the winter. I would definitely hike this again in the snow - so beautiful!

So fun and easy!

So much snow! We arrived around noon on 1/20 and glad we did, because the morning hikers had to break trail. By afternoon, the snow was still coming down but the trail was easily accessible. Parked at snoqualmie lodge and walked to the trailhead which was confusing to find, but there were plenty of people to ask along the way. Perfect snowy hike for people who don’t love snow because it’s fairly short and beautiful. I wore yak tracks and was glad I did

Super easy fun filled snow walk for such a beautiful mostly frozen falls.

Fun and easy hike! Walked it in January with snow on the ground. The trail was easily navigable, but very slippery. The falls at the end make for a great ending.

Great hike

Good easy hike! Mostly just slushy along the trail but we did it without micro spikes even though we brought them in case. Great for dogs as well, we brought our two GSD’s and they had no issues. We parked off exit 47 and it ended up being a total of close to 7 miles. Highly recommend!

Beautiful, nice, easy hike. Great scenery!!!

Beautiful hike! My friend and I hiked it on Christmas weekend (2017) - although we did not due the full length of it due to the road closure. I highly recommend crampons/snow cleats for the steep icy bit near the falls.

Short hike, easy but the view at the end is awesome. It’s worth doing once but go early to avoid crowds.

New Year’s Day was insanely busy, there was a line to get to the falls! But still a beautiful hike. HIGHLY recommend snow cleats ☺️

January 1st, 2018
1st hike of 50 for the year!
Franklin Falls in the Snow
Mount Baker Snoqualmie National Forest

We had a great time on this hike! We drove just over an hour and started hiking around noon. I actually learned to ski on my shoes right at the start, as I encountered a hill full of ice. Patrick followed behind me sliding on his behind! I could tell this was going to be an adventurous excursion! We hiked for about a mile and a half, taking photos along the way, trekking in the snow. We came to another slide opportunity where we both took our turns successfully. After 2 miles, we made it to the falls. The trail down to the falls was incredibly icy, so guess what we did - slid on our bottoms again, nearly taking people out below us. It was slick! We had a great time navigating the terrain. People were so nice and wanted to help. We also encountered some lovely cuddle time from strangers as we fell on top of one another as the slid down. We made friends quickly, in ways we didn’t expect! We felt like we were being frisked by the police - I’ll let your minds wander. We finally made it to the bottom with the use of a rope tied to the side of the rock where the ground was a sheet of ice. There was no sliding down this section since the cliff was super close to the trail. We took a bunch of photos by the falls. Patrick even got really close and laid by them and didn’t get too wet with his winter coat and snow pants on. Climbing up the trail from the falls was rather interesting! We were slipping and sliding on top of one another again - meeting new strangers this time! It was comical and fun, with a lot of laughter. I was crawling on my hands and knees and still sliding back down. I really wish I had clamps for my shoes to adhere to the ice. We finally reached the top and did some more sledding down small hills in the trail. Our snow pants were the sled. Our clothes underneath remained dry. It was a ton of fun! See the videos and pictures attached!

Hike Review:

Miles: 4.5

Elevation Gain: 48 Fitbit Floors (480 feet).

Difficulty: 2 out of 10 (except for slick terrain without snowshoes or grippers).

Beauty: Gorgeous & Snowy.

Wow factor: The falls & mountains.

Sights: Snow in the winter, Mountains, Creeks, Waterfalls, Rock Climbing (not according to experts), Rocks & Lots of people to navigate thru.

Trail Conditions: Packed snow covered ground that is slippery in places; Narrow trails thru snow; Rope you can use to climb down to the falls.

Things you may need: Heavy coat, Snow Pants, Snow gloves, Hat to cover ears, Hiking boots & Traction spikes that attach to shoes or snowshoes (not absolutely necessary, but recommended in parts).

Access: The road to the main trail head was closed, so we drove to exit 52 off I-90 and took a left back under the freeway. Then we parked on the side of the road with other cars and walked back towards the freeway where we could access NFD Road 58. We used googlemaps to find the specific location of the man made trail head.

Passes: Since this isn’t actually a trail head, the NW Forrest Pass is not required. Once the trailhead opens again, this pass is required and you will be ticketed if you don’t have one on your vehicle. They can easily be purchased at REI for $30 for the year.

12/17/2017
25th Birthday Hike with Samir

Gorgeous hike! Not a hard trail at all. Very icy on the road and trail. Wasn’t too busy in the morning. Somewhat windy, and also pretty chilly. Dress warm!