Fletcher Canyon Trail

Fletcher Canyon Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Quinault, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,627 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Did this trail 9/14/19 in the rain. Had to climb over multiple trees or under. Hard to maneuver and know when the trail would end. Early part was well groomed. Farther in the trail harder to tell what was trail and what people made as a trail. Still good hike. Be prepared to get wet.

Did this hike 1 week ago. Beautiful forest. The trail was overgrown, which didn’t bother me too much because I could still see the path. Many fallen and decaying trees in the path, which we climbed over. But then at the end, there wasn’t a clearly marked trail. We weren’t sure where we should go or where the final destination was. We turned back. Overall, a beautiful hike but the trail itself needs some clearing - the trees at the very least.

This is an unmaintained trail with treacherous footing through a lovely rainforest canyon. The first mile or so is decent, but after that the trail deteriorates to largely roots and rocks. A couple of the blow downs required removing my day pack and crawling on my hands and knees to get under. The trail is not aerobically challenging, but it is too technical to be pleasurable.

We did not go all the way to the end but we hiked enough of the trail to realize that this trail climbs too steeply and is too rocky to be considered kid-friendly.

We hiked the trail in the middle of August and were initially confused by the lack of any running creek water. I guess it wasn't rainy season at all... The trail itself is nice and passes through some pretty rainforest vegetation and beautiful trees. There is a decent elevation gain and we also had to climb over a couple of huge fallen trees. While not breathtaking, the trail does offer some nice views and is a good exercise.

Oh boy, how to begin. SO and I are pretty fit and have done lots of hikes rated as much harder than this one, but we both struggled. It’s pretty overgrown in some spots, but it’s mostly ferns so NBD. My problem was the rocks. The entire trail is comprised pretty much of giant rocks and boulders and it takes a lot of work for someone with short legs to get over a lot of these as well as tackle the elevation. There were several spots where giant boulders from up the canyon have very recently came down and smooshed parts of the trail completely away and you have to climb the erosion. Lots of downed trees, as well. Don’t get me wrong, the scenery was beautiful. We heard the waterfall the entire way and the weather was perfect. Lots of shade on the trail. We heard voices and laughter up the canyon the whole time but never ran into anyone, and my imagination ran wild with me and I couldn’t shake the feeling we were being watched from above is the entire way. But we spent almost three hours climbing and only made it to the first mile, that’s how difficult this trail ended up being. Even my mountain goat of a dog struggled. We ended up turning around after that and climbed down, which was surprisingly easier. I recommend the difficulty be changed to Hard until the NFS has the chance to service the trail. And because I know sometimes this is a big deal: the road to the trailhead was super duper easy and well-maintained and flat, very easy in any car, and there’s a parking lot AND a turnout spot to park right at the trailhead.

We decided to try this trail on our way out around 5:30 pm. Only 1 other car and those people passed us on their way out about 10 mins into our walk so we were completely alone. Trail gets narrow, some spots the brush smacks you in the face so you know it’s a trail less traveled and you have to maneuver under and over fallen trees, and a few points where the trail was a bit hard to follow. Although we didn’t make it to the end, because of our late start, I did not find this difficult to hike. If you have time and can squat, crawl and climb over trees this is a good secluded area. Just watch your footing and probably best to go when it’s on the dryer side.

All in all, this was a really fun hike and absolutely beautiful. The weather has been nice lately and we haven’t seen much rain, so it was almost completely dry. However, if it had rained recently, it would have been rather difficult to manage the trail after the halfway point because it became so steep and the terrain continued to get more and more rough the further we went. There were also a few downed trees, so the GPS on the app helped a couple of times with that. The only real issue we came across was that we couldn’t find the end of the trail once we got to the water. Thankfully we were able to just wade through the creek to get to the waterfall where we could explore and enjoy the view. We definitely had to do a bit of climbing towards the end, but it was a very fun day :) To be honest, I don’t think I’ll do this hike again, just because we went through a lot to reach a waterfall of this size and I know there are many other hikes in the area that have trails that are just as beautiful. It’s worth it to go once though :)

Good and wet. Didn’t do the whole thing

I read the reviews from earlier and was worried about this trail but I think it's open season for it now! It was beautiful and lush. Very uphill but not steep. There was a little water at the beginning of the trail but it wasn't bad.

closed

Moderate to slightly hard single track trail. Multiple sections with trees down required scouting to rejoin trail. Eventually unable to continue due to length of blockage; did not make it across the rapidly flowing creek. Should be a fun and challenging trail once it reopens.

The scenery was gorgeous! Rainforest meets Washington. There was only 2 other people out there. The trails are narrow, enough for a single line of hikers but the path is worn for easy to follow travel. There are some areas with fallen trees to climb over which was fun! We ran into a bunny being chased by a weasel! The falls though are right off the road before you get to trail head. If you just go to see the falls, start there instead of at the trailhead. But the trail has amazing small rock rivers to see.

Friday, August 24, 2018

Never got to the waterfalls as the trail disintegrated.

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Great short distance yet moderately challenging hike. :)

Monday, July 09, 2018

Muddy, overgrown trail with lots of loose rocks and fallen trees. We were warned by other hikers about a beehive near the end, but turned around before we reached it. It's a quiet and scenic hike, but I've never slipped and tripped so much on a trail before, and can't say I really enjoyed it. Take poles and your sturdiest waterproof boots!

Sunday, July 08, 2018

Terrain was pretty rough and there was overgrowth in a few places, poles would definitely be good to have. It was very quiet though, and a nice little hike.

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Good overall hike. Not too many people which was nice. Once you get down to the creek towards the end things can get hairy, as thick & thorny vegetation encompasses either side of the trail. Once we finally saw the waterfall we had to traverse across a large fallen down tree to get to the landing area where everyone was hanging out.